• March 29, 2024, 04:31:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: dns-323 and setting up usb printer  (Read 43513 times)

perfectdark

• Level 2 Member
Re: dns-323 and setting up usb printer
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:39:18 PM »

thanks guys, i tried thatb shareport but no go.

Iguess when i run out of ink i'll just but a new printer (same price as ink and it comes with ink)

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 05:53:11 AM »

I'd make sure you pick one that is known to work on USB print servers.  Actually, you might check back here and find out what models other folks are running successfully. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

johnnygent

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 08:36:55 AM »

I would just like to report for the benefit of other members that, after considerable trouble, I managed to make the dns-323 work as a print server for my old but still excellent Canon MP800 printer (of course only for the printing side of this multifunctional), thus enabling four users in our home to print from their desks. The step was taken only when an extra print-server that I owned before acquiring the NAS suddenly died on us.

I should have checked this forum *before* starting, because the attempt to follow the regular Add Printer route resulted in data being written to the hard disk in the NAS that then had to be removed by reformatting the hard disks, as suggested by Fordem as a last resort, in reply to a similar question elsewhere on this forum.

So, having reformatted the hard disks on the DNS-323, I followed fordem's steps 6 steps (actually 7 steps, if you add the line on top about first deleting the printer from the computer) and was successful.

Thank you so much!

HSishi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »

I just stumbled across this thread. I have also an 3-in-1 printer here (Epson PX710W) and some experiences with a Canon IP4000.

The IP4000 worked well when connected to the DSN-323 (and my AVM Fritz!Box routers); I couldn't check the ink levels tough (bidirectional communications aren't supported).
It worked either with the "long" installation (USB connection -> print server connecting -> add port in driver setup) or the "short" way ("Add printer -> Network printer -> NAS's / router's IP, Port 9000).

The Epson PX710W and alot of other multifunction printers will *not* work in "stand-alone printer only" mode because they connect to PC as a hybrid device (regardless of the connection type, USB, LAN or WLAN) and build up a bidirectional communication. Most network print servers can't handle this correctly (e.g. SAMBA based servers).

But - they *might* work with the SharePort utility on DSN-323 and similar solutions for other NASes or routers but you have to activate and connect *all* devices of the printer for the USB-over-Ethernet mode.
Some USB-over-IP solutions won't support more than one connection at once so "another door is closed".

Basically, it's a "try and error or success" but I can confirm the Shareport Utility is worth a try.

//HSishi
Pages: 1 [2]