• March 28, 2024, 04:39:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Trouble getting IP address & access to Internet  (Read 36764 times)

Richard Blaine

• Level 1 Member
Trouble getting IP address & access to Internet
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »

Have spent most of the weekend trying to install my new DIR-615 rev C. I simply can't access the internet, whether wired or wireless, even though the connection seems to be there.

I have a working Linksys wired router, and get the internet no problem with it. I've tried to no avail setting up the DIR-615 as a standalone router (replacing the Lynksys), or (prefered) as a wireless access point, glomming onto the Lynksys (including disabling UPnP & DHCP on the DIR-615, and connecting through a LAN port). Interestingly, in the latter case, I can attach a computer to the DIR-615 via an ethernet cable, and the internet comes up normally. But wireless internet gets stuck on "Acquiring network address."

I downloaded & installed firmware 3.11, and have messed around with the settings for hours. I've tried three different computers, each running a different operating system, and no internet access on any. In all cases, wired or wireless, the connection seems to be there, but IP assignment seems to fail.

I must be missing some setting here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Richard Blaine

• Level 1 Member
Re: Trouble getting IP address & access to Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »

No progress to report on wireless connectivity. I had no luck at all trying the DIR-615 as a primary network device (i.e., both wired & wireless) so I set it up as an AP connecting to my old Linksys wired router. The directions in the manual were only partially useful. I'm a noob to wireless, and they should have included a more detailed discussion about setting the local IP correctly. Eventually I gleaned this information from other web sites.

Every now and then I can connect wirelessly, but most of the time I get the "limited or no connectivity" message. And I've fiddled around a lot with various settings, to no avail. So I think "yourcodeisjacked" has hit the nail on the head here. There seem to be fundamental flaws with the DIR-615 that make IP assignment unreliable.

What now? We hope for a firmware update from D-Link, or (better) DD-WRT for the DIR-615.

society

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »

I have the same problem.
Guys you need to debug your dhcp server in your firmware.
I  got a dir-655 and it kept crashing, upgarde firmware with the "latest and the gratest" from dlink and still did the same problem. I took it back to retailer.
Next I got a new one dir-615 and after 2 weeks uptime I had to reboot so I can get an IP.
"limited connectivity or no connection" does it sounds familiar? You don't have many settings to change in dhcp server, either enabled or disabled. I set up a fixed IP on my laptop and it works fine.
My DHCP client works fine but since is a laptop and I also work with it I can't keep it on fixed IP.

Any thoughts dlink guys?
Ah don't bother to answer. I'll take it back to the store and I'll get a USR or something.
DIR-655   Hardware: A4    Firmware: 1.32NA

LocoEngineer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »

Been trying to connect this "product" (<-- fill free to change the noun to something of your liking) all night and this morning. Done hundreds of wireless installs with different products, troubleshooted them and figured out all connection issues... until now.  This laptop im currently on is configured to use: 2 belkins, 1 netgear, an ooooold dlink (that was a nightmare too), a linksys (RIP) and an at&t 2wire. I've also set up multiple computers to access wireless feed on several of those products. Regardless of how stubborn the Router and/or computer was being, one always ended up with a connection.

i purchased this "product" since it was $20 off at MicroCenter and had good reviews online. People must not have experience with a range of products or this router is hit-or-miss. The Router is even connected to a D-Link 2320B modem, so I would highly doubt any incompatibility issues. The modem even looks like the offspring of the Router; what a great warm feeling. Vista Home, Dynamic IP, PPoE, etc. I'm on here, so a direct connection from the modem obviously works; a wired connection with the router installed has NO connection. I also connected, via ethernet cord, from the Router to a computer running the latest version of Ubuntu and can you guess what the result was? Works perfectly fine WITHOUT the router.

all that to get to this:
Repair, diagnose, reset all =  "You might have an issue with DHCP etc, etc, etc"   YOU NEED TO FIX THE DHCP SERVER ISSUE!

I'm going to try and get this thing going, but if it is not running by today, I'm going to take this thing back and get something else. I'll also go to the hundreds of places claiming this product is "great" and put up what I think about this "product". If MicroCenter doesn't take it back, I'll run across town to Corporate and see what is "not the problem" and hopefully this "product" doesn't grow wings and attempt to fly
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:04:57 PM by LocoEngineer »

LocoEngineer

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 02:20:26 PM »

still here trying to see if it could possibly User Error, nothing so far. did all the normal attempts that go nowhere: flush, register,release, renew, check settings, turn off/on firewalls, force addresses, resets, manual settings, wizard settings, etc.

From Windows Event Viewer:

The description for Event ID 1003 from source Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The IP address lease 75.79.27.194 for the Network Card with network address 00A0D19689FE has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.0.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00A0D19689FE.  The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired.. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

that's not a vista or user problem. could be the router doesnt like dynamically addressed ip's. dont know if the software developers are here or over seas. i know a lot of coding for a lot of hardware is now done overseas and qa done overseas as well. even though i know there are A LOT of lazy engineers/programmers here, the qa also tends to be MUCH better in the US.

This thing is going back, going with a Trendnet or spend the extra buck and buy something reliable like  Belkin.

Richard Blaine

• Level 1 Member
Gave up!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 06:18:13 AM »

Gave up and returned the DIR-615. Then I borrowed from a relative a disused G-band router made by another major manufacturer (rhymes with "sink-hiss"), and had it set up and running flawlessly as an AP in 15 minutes. The replacement router connects to our computers and resolves the IP addresses within seconds, and has never dropped a connection in three weeks of use. Yes, slower than N-band, but moderate speed connectivity is a lot better than "limited or no connectivity." And the extra range of N-band is not important to me, as my home & property are not large.

Sorry, D-Link, but you've lost a customer for life over a $40 item.

shockwave1111

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 07:16:08 AM »

Hey all,

This is a common occurrence in the 615 router on the 3.11NA firmware. There are two ways (annoying) to get around the failed DHCP automated assigning of the IP and I hate both of them.

1. Plug the power plug. If you have DHCP reservation, this will very likely return the router to normal. If I reset my computer with wireless internet connected to the 615 router during the day, when it tries to reconnect, it always fail to acquire a IP and will get a default IP starting with 169.*.*.*

2. Manually assigning the IP using the settings in advance properties. Set the manual IP to 192.168.0.* and your gateway and DNS to the router's IP which defaults to 192.168.0.1. This will make the internet work, BUT if you have a home network, your other computers would not recognize your computer. If not, it'll keep the internet on :D.

Btw, this problem seems to be more on the Vista side too and only affects the wireless portion. I hate it!

wainbee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:10:41 PM »

Here's a way to make the DIR-615 wireless work to get you on the internet.  This isn't a solution for everybody because it works by bypassing some of the new features of this router.

I have a DIR-615 ver.C1. Followed all instructions and used automatic setups to get initialized.  All 4 wired ports worked great but wireless could not connect, or couldn't renew IP address, or established a "weak" connection with no browser connect.

Next, I updated the firmware from 3.01 to 3.11NA.  Finally got a laptop to connect, ran for about an hour, then, when I fired up a second laptop, I was stunned to see the 1st laptop lose signal and the 2nd pick it up.  Then the 2nd laptop lost it's connection and from then on, neither would work together or alone.  Any engineers or software developers that get a sniff of this suspect one thing: bad code in the firmware!

I've spent days on this product and am convinced that the firmware routines for auto channel scan or auto security mode are not fully tested or simply do not work reliably.

Here's what DOES work though!  Force the router to work on a fixed channel and in a fixed security mode.

1.  Choose Manual Wireless Setup
2.  Disable Wi-Fi Protect
3.  Disable Auto Channel Scan - set to CH. 7
4.  Set security mode to WPA-Personal
5.  Set WPA mode to WPA only
6.  Set Cipher to TKIP
Note: no reserved IP addresses, no MAC address filtering or other fancy features employed

Wireless has been working reliably on multiple laptops ever since.  Its a great router when it works!

I've spent days trying to figure out this work-around.  Next time I have a few hours to play further, I'll try to investigate whether it's the auto-channel or auto-security setting that causes wireless failure. I figure that at a dollar an hour, my D-Link 615 has cost me nearly $500 already!

mmeyer4663

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »

I have also changed to reservations.
Unfortunately, I was still having the dropped problem/loos of internet access.
I went ahead and disabled N mode and went to Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b for 802.11 Mode setting.
DIR-615 is now solid as a rock.  No more disconnection problems.
Appears D-Link has a problem with DHCP and 802.11N.  N was the reason I purchased the 615.
Will D-Link ever release a new version for the 615 to address these issues?

RMMIX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 12:49:59 PM »

wainbe thanks your setting worked. This issue was driving me crazy. I spent yesterday messing around with no avail and more than 20 minutes on anything is wasting time. I spent about 2 hours. Someone at D-link need to get there act together low or no connectivity is good enough reason to switch manufactures.  by the way original set up stinks the CD that comes with it is useless. Thank goodness I have a little undertsanding of how thing suppose to work.

here is my Hardware Version: C1   Firmware Version: 3.10NA

RMMIX

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 04:03:33 PM »

I'm about toss this thing in the trash. Set up my wireless printer and it seems to get lost. my laptop has low or no connectivity. The only way to get this thing to work is to keep setting up the router.  If it set to unsecured it seem to work but who in there right mind would not secure the access. If I have to set this thing up again its gone. Wire up the printer and use neighbors signal since its not secured.

philipfltan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 07:45:07 AM »

I had dir 615 version c2 firmware version 3.01.

Having disconnection problem, unable to log to internet etc.

I just upgraded firmware from http://www.dlink.com.my/support/support_detail.asp

Now firmware is Version 3.03WW.

Seems to be able to connect quickly.

Read WARNING that this is for south east asia version only. You can of course save a copy of existing firmware before upgrading. Be forewarned.

Good luck.

wwlink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »

I had the dropoff problem before and had to reboot router to reconnect.  These updates seem to give me the most stable connection, as I do not have the DHCP/IP problem anymore. 

Router: NA-C1

Firmware: 3.10NA (found this one is much better than the latest one available)

802.11 Mode : Mixed N & G

Security Mode : WPA personal

WPA: WPA2+AES

Other settings left pretty much standard.

Also, very important to update the wireless adapters to the latest driver

This is used to connect to XP and Vista laptops, and both are working fine.

I hope this will work for your too.  Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:43:04 AM by wwlink »