• March 29, 2024, 03:28:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWR-953 Firewall Rules and Packet Filters  (Read 2662 times)

953owner

• Level 1 Member
DWR-953 Firewall Rules and Packet Filters
« on: August 08, 2018, 12:38:17 PM »

Hi,

I have an old DI-524 router with a simple but powerful firewall. I use it to first deny all outgoing traffic and then allow traffic through my VPN tunnel. This is done by adding Firewall Rules to the built-in rules:

Action   Name   Source   Destination   Protocol

Allow      L2TP      LAN,*   WAN,*      UDP,500   
   Allow      L2TP      LAN,*   WAN,*      *,4500   
   Deny      LAN OUT   LAN,*   WAN,*      *,*   
   -----------------------------------------------------------------
   Allow   Ping   WAN port   WAN,*   WAN,*      ICMP,*   
   Deny      Default   *,*      LAN,*      *,*   
   Allow      Default   LAN,*   *,*         *,*   

Rules are applied from the bottom up. The stuff below the line are the built-in rules.

I recently bought a DWR-953 (Ver. B1) to get a faster Wi-Fi. I am trying to set it up like my old router, but I cannot get the firewall to work. Under Advanced -> Firewall I find the same MAC, IP and URL filtering as in my old router, but there is no tab for Firewall Rules.

Instead, there is a separate tab called "Packet Filters" where I can define (and activate) both "Filters" and "Rules". From my understanding of the manual, "Filters" are default settings for WAN and LAN In/Out traffic, and "Rules" are exceptions from these settings, such as allowing traffic on a specific port.

Now, the problem is that I cannot get these "Packet Filters" to work. Even if I define and activate "Filters" that should drop all ingoing and outgoing traffic, I can still browse the web from a connected computer. I have also tried adding "Rules" that should drop all traffic, but there is still no effect.  :(

So my question is: what am I doing wrong? And is it at all possible to do what I am trying to do, i.e. use "Packet Filters" to configure the firewall in the same way as I did with the old "Firewall Rules"?

I know that DWR-953 is not sold in the US, but I would be very grateful even for a general answer about how to use "Packet Filters" correctly since there is no support forum in Europe. I presume that the "Packet Filters" option is present also on some US models.