• March 28, 2024, 02:31:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newb: How do I use NFS on DNS-323?  (Read 13853 times)

Eric-The-Large

• Level 1 Member
Newb: How do I use NFS on DNS-323?
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:12:32 AM »

Hi,

I'd rather use NFS than SMB to access my DNS-323 box but when I create a user in the 'Network access' page, I can't disable the SMB option.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using OSX... I have seen this topic

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=20999.0

But it's not for my unit...

E
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:51:43 AM by Eric-The-Large »

Eric-The-Large

• Level 1 Member
Re: Newb: How do I use NFS on DNS-323?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:46:03 AM »

Hi,

Sorry to bump this topic but I keep reading that the current firmware (1.08) should support NFS but I can't figure out how to activate it.

Anybody...?

E

strevellick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »

It is an add-on you need to activate.  Go to the Add-Ons from the GUI on the unit and select the add-on from the install disk.

HSishi

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »

DL the NFS AddOn either via Support - DNS-323 - Additional Downloads or directly from here:

ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Multimedia/dns323/Apps/dns323_NFS%20_Package_v100.zip

You have to add and enable it then via config UI.

//HSishi

Eric-The-Large

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:28:05 PM »

Thanks Guys! :-)

I installed the addon but what should the 'Host' field be?

Localhost isn't accepted. The IP address of the DNS-323 is. Is the IP address the correct thing to enter?

Thanks again :-)

E

strevellick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »

Host file is the file from the install disk under Add-Ons.

Eric-The-Large

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »

Host file is the file from the install disk under Add-Ons.

strevellick,

Sorry to be dim but when I try to set up an NFS share, there is a box which asks for 'Host'. There's no browse button to load anything from the install CD.

You mean the NFS add-on is on the CD? I already installed it but don't understand the 'Host' field...

E

grixx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »

What about checking other threads on the same problem?
E.g.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=19844.msg98870#msg98870

Regards,

grixx

strevellick

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »

strevellick,

Sorry to be dim but when I try to set up an NFS share, there is a box which asks for 'Host'. There's no browse button to load anything from the install CD.

You mean the NFS add-on is on the CD? I already installed it but don't understand the 'Host' field...

E

Oh ok...grixx is right.  Check the link he posted.

Eric-The-Large

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:42:15 AM »

What about checking other threads on the same problem?
E.g.
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=19844.msg98870#msg98870

Regards,

grixx

Grixx,

Thanks. I'd seen that thread but hadn't taken it in properly.

I'm struggling with this forum in general, it's far and away the slowest and buggiest I've ever come across...

E

lookingforinfo

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:11:33 AM »

Eric-The-Large,

If you get NFS to work, I hope you will document the process.  Eight months ago I gave up trying to use NFS and went with SMB.  So far I have not encountered any problems with SMB and it meets our needs in a home environment.  It is my impression that a vast majority of the list members are primarily Windows users, this may explain the slower response rate.

Eric-The-Large

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »

Eric-The-Large,

If you get NFS to work, I hope you will document the process.  Eight months ago I gave up trying to use NFS and went with SMB.  So far I have not encountered any problems with SMB and it meets our needs in a home environment.  It is my impression that a vast majority of the list members are primarily Windows users, this may explain the slower response rate.

lookingforinfo,

As the next firmware seems to be due very shortly, I have decided to bide my time and have a go once it's out.

How far have you got? Have you installed the add-on?

E

lookingforinfo

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »

lookingforinfo,

As the next firmware seems to be due very shortly, I have decided to bide my time and have a go once it's out.

How far have you got? Have you installed the add-on?

E

I was on 1.07 at the time and did not get far.  F/W 1.08, and or experience, made a world of difference and I was happy to make and progress.  I installed the add-on, but gave up when I got too far out of my comfort zone.  I did talk to Apple Support and their attitude seemed to be, "If SMB works, use it."

Our system is used primarily for backup and iTunes.  I am the OS X user and nightly tar my home directory nightly and write it to Volume_2 and Volume_2.  The process takes a little more than 20 minutes at 3 AM.  I moved my iTunes to Volume_1 with a copy on Volume_2   Everything seems to work, but I would like to have NSF as an option.

Eric-The-Large

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:55:06 AM »

I was on 1.07 at the time and did not get far.  F/W 1.08, and or experience, made a world of difference and I was happy to make and progress.  I installed the add-on, but gave up when I got too far out of my comfort zone.  I did talk to Apple Support and their attitude seemed to be, "If SMB works, use it."

Our system is used primarily for backup and iTunes.  I am the OS X user and nightly tar my home directory nightly and write it to Volume_2 and Volume_2.  The process takes a little more than 20 minutes at 3 AM.  I moved my iTunes to Volume_1 with a copy on Volume_2   Everything seems to work, but I would like to have NSF as an option.

lookingforinfo,

Let me know what you got stuck on and I'll *try* to help.

E

grixx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 02:02:10 PM »

lookingforinfo,

have a look at my post I have linked above. It is really no magic to set up nfs on the DNS-323 with the D-Link add-on. I had it running on my box with FW 1.08 and you can read in the same thread why I have finally dropped nfs again. With current firmware (either 1.08 or 1.09) and the D-Link add-on I can NOT recommend using nfs on the DNS-323. I you want to give it a try, just go for it, it's easy to set up.

Of course you could go for Alt-f or use kernel-nfs with funplug to get stable nfs support. But if setting up the D-Link nfs support appears to be too difficult that's out of question.;)

It would be great if 1.10 will finally provide solid nfs support....

Regards,
grixx
Pages: [1] 2