• March 28, 2024, 02:07:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DIR-615 requires power reset for laptop to connect  (Read 23725 times)

victorist

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-615 requires power reset for laptop to connect
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 10:47:43 PM »

Nope, the "Other network" is still there after I reset the router, but somehow the laptop just connects.

Once connected everything runs perfectly, until powered off again, which will require a router reset to connect.

If I had to guess, I would think that the laptop (and other cpus) somehow get confused when powering up and seeing the two SSIDs, or the two SSIDs are symptomatic of another setting issue. Somehow this gets cleared temporarily or there is an initialization that takes place when you reset the router, and then the laptop can connect. Note that my SSID is set as "invisible"

Does anyone else see "Other network" listed as well as their SSID? Any idea what might cause this?

Hard Harry

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 09:47:05 PM »

My question wasn't "Does it show after a reset" but rather "Do both show when you power off the router"?

victorist

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »

When I first power up the laptop, I see my SSID and "other network" which is my router (same freq, power, encryp, etc).

I can't automatically log in.

I power reset the router, and "other network" disappears, only my SSID is showing, and the laptop automatically logs in.

This happens when my SSID is visible or invisible.

victorist

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:18:54 AM »

Actually, a minor correction. It looks like the "other network" shows when you have the SSID INvisible. After I made my network visible and power cycled everything, my "other network" is gone, although I pick up another one in the neighborhood (different freq, power, encryp) so I don't think I'm affected by it.

Now I have SSID visible, only "see" my SSID, but my cpus won't connect automatically unless I power cycle the router. Original problem.

I can't believe no one else has seen this problem. I've had it from day one.

Once I power cycle the router, the router works great and my desktop will stay connected for weeks no problem (until I shut it down). The laptop unfortunately runs out of juice and needs a shutdown each night. If I keep the laptop plugged in, the wireless connection is fine.

Static IPs don't help, fixed freq channels don't help, any ideas?

victorist

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-615 requires power reset for laptop to connect SOLVED
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 04:34:28 AM »

SOLVED

after following what is outlined in this thread, I changed my password to remove "-" and "*" from it and now ONLY use letters and numbers. I also turned off "protected wifi" and now everything works fine.

Thanks for the help.

I'll try and invisible SSID again when I feel brave   ;D

Hard Harry

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »

Thats odd. I didn't see this thread highlighted as new even though you made posts to it. Sorry I didn't respond. Glad you got it worked out though. When you mean "Protected WiFi" do you mean WPA or WPS?

victorist

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 10:04:43 PM »

No I mean "Wi-FI Protected Setup (ALSO CALLED WCN 2.0 IN WINDOW VISTA) :" that's what I disabled as I don't have a wifi printer etc.

I had reread all the sections once again and decided to remove any characters that were not letters or numbers from my WPA password. I removed a dash and an asterisk, and now things seem to work fine. I always used these types of characters in linksys passwords and they worked fine.

Kind of strange but things seem to work ok now. Desktop, IPAD and netbook all connecting easily with WPA2 and "N" only.

Skello

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 11:23:18 PM »

If you want N speeds, WPA2 with AES is the only options, at least for manufacturers that follow the specification to the letter. Setting any other type of security will downgrade it to G speeds.

Hard Harry

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 07:48:22 PM »

Interesting, I heard of something simular with passphrases and Macs. When you have WPS enabled, you have to enter a $ at the start. I will experiement and see if I can add specail characters to my passphrase.

Also, I don't think WPS and WCN are interchangable. I think WCN can use WPS, but WPS can work without WCN. WPS is the process of handshaking the encryption and configuring it. WCN is the act of applying those settings to the OS. mostly consists of loading the settings on a USB and sharing them that way. Most routers with USB can also use WCN to load those settings onto the flash, and then use WCN on the OS to configure the wireless adapter. I could be wrong though.

victorist

• Level 1 Member
SOLVED: DIR-615 requires power reset for laptop to connect
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11:50 AM »

Update: Finally got brave enough to turn "invisible" on the SSID and all 3 of my devices are connecting fine to the router.

So it looks like the WPA2 password can't have symbols which are not letters or numbers, no " -*&^%$" et, and you have to disable "Wi-FI Protected Setup (ALSO CALLED WCN 2.0 IN WINDOW VISTA)"

If you do have those, you'll have to power reset the router to connect.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

victorist

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 06:18:08 PM »

Back again.

I was moving something and it fell and knocked the power plug out of the wall on my DIR-615.

Now my old problem has returned again.  >:(

When I power down my desktop, laptop, and IPAD, they do not connect to the router when powered up again. They all contain the correct login information, etc. In fact, nothing has changed since I left this thread, except I powered off the router.

Now to get connected again, I have to unplug the router, wait 10 secs, then plug it in.  After that they will all connect again (windows 7, windows vista, and IPAD OS btw) ONE TIME.

I can't believe no one else is experiencing this problem.

Any ideas?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G then mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA2 and Cipher type to AES only if your device support this.

Make sure you set a new name for the Wireless SSID as there could be other dlink named SSID routers near by.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

rsmartin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 06:55:44 AM »

I have this same problem with DIR-515.

It's as if the router can't assign IP number to wireless device or something.

Powering off and on always fixes the connection problem.

I have ! in my passphrase... maybe I should take it out??

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »

Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual?
Turn off QoS options.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA Personal and Cipher type to AES only if your device support this.

I have this same problem with DIR-515.

It's as if the router can't assign IP number to wireless device or something.

Powering off and on always fixes the connection problem.

I have ! in my passphrase... maybe I should take it out??

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

victorist

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:14 PM »

Furry - Most of the settings you suggested are being used. I tried the g vs n etc before so now I leave it on N only as everything I have is N. Its WEP2 and AES.  During my first adventure, I tried every recommendation and setting combination, so I know those don't fix it.

I just read a couple of newer posts that seem to imply that changing the SSID to something else resolves a problem and so I tried it - VOILA - so far so good. I changed the SSID and pswd before when I got it working but didn't attribute it to the solution at that time.

To repeat. Somehow magically I got this beast working fine with all 3 devices (IPAD, netbook, Desktop) using IOS, win7 home 64, and Vista 32.

Originally I got it working after many many trial and errors. It worked for 3 months.

Then I dropped something which pulled the power plug and the router powered down for just a minute. Then it wouldn't work, that is, I couldn't connect powered off devices when restarted until I powered down the router each time. Once I did that everything was ok, until I powered off a device.

This morning, I logged onto everything and renamed the SSID (which is invisible btw) and powered off the netbook. When I powered it on, it recognized the network and logged right in.

If looks like the old SSID is stuck somewhere and confusing the login process.

Assigning a new SSID fixed it for now, at least until we lose power at the router again...

Any comments or ideas?
Pages: 1 [2] 3