• April 28, 2024, 03:35:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 frequent freeze issue  (Read 8908 times)

ocpmach

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 frequent freeze issue
« on: December 30, 2009, 04:52:21 PM »

DIR-615 C1 firmware - 3.11NA

I recently bought DIR-615 for its wireless N feature, however the router freezes when the bandwidth usage is heavy. During weekends, I stream netflix during this time the router freezes with no internet access(wired and wireless) every 2-3 hours and i need to reset the router to get it working again.

My troubleshooting so far:

1) I upgraded the firware to the latest 3.11NA
2) Did a factory reset.
3) Applied "wainbee" suggested setting except using WPA2-AES security.
4) During heavy usage, the router runs cool, no heating problem tough.
5) SPI firewall is disabled.

Can anyone suggest how to resolve this problem.

forumuser

• Level 2 Member
Re: DIR-615 frequent freeze issue
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:14:47 AM »

every post deserves a reply so here I am :)

seems you have tried what most have tried already, the only thing I can add that if this issue is truely on the firmware side then a reduction of services would help alleviate the problem (IN theory :P).
I have seen wireless routers hiccup when assigning DHCP address to back to back clients so you can try disabling DHCP and setting a static IP for your PC. Also since you mention that you are streaming video this has QOS written all over it. I dont know how Dlink prioritizes data but the most common applications QOS is applied against is video and VOIP. You can try going to the QOS settings and disabling traffic shapping and automatic link speed detection. Not sure what else to offer other then turning on all the logging to narrow down any error messages.

ocpmach

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:48 AM »

Forumuser - Thanks for your input.

I think i will try disabling traffic shaping and see if it helps, seriously if the routers cannot support such bandwidth load, they should mention it in the manual rather than let users deal with this issue.

forumuser

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »

Actually the hardware within the Dir-615 is quite remarkable considering its price point. It has far more horsepower than any other router in its class. I know this because two other manufactures have identical products with different firmwares that perform great. I much prefer how dlink lays out their configuration screens and dlink does expose more of the devices capabilities. I am hoping that they are working on another firmware release that will resolve numerous issues. Once that happens I expect this device to become top dog in the residential world.