• April 19, 2024, 06:30:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: HDD is always on  (Read 5138 times)

fotocopy

• Level 1 Member
HDD is always on
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:37:17 AM »

I have a problem with my DNS-323
The hard disk never sleeps. Even though I checked the settings which are set to Turn Off Hard Drive after 5 minutes but it doesn't happen. No application is using the DNS and I still have the problem when my computer is off.
I tried upgrading to firmware 1.09 and 1.10 but I still have the problem.

Any help is appreciated

ctvxl

• Level 1 Member
Re: HDD is always on
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »

Here are the things I would check first:

1.  Have you installed any fun_plug or 'hacked' the unit in any way?  If so, remove it and see if it solves the problem.  If it does, then you likely have scripts, etc. running from the disk so it never shuts down.  The solution is to change your scripts so they are first copied to the ram drive, then executed from there.

2.  If you have not done any fun_plug, etc. then try to reset the unit to factory settings and see if it solves the problem.

3.  If factory reset didn't solve it, Maybe a hard drive compatibility problem?  Test with a different HDD to see if it sleeps

HTH

Vedran

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »

Hi guys,
I have the same problem. Fan works OK, but HDD works all the time.
I formated my hdd yesterday and put factory default settings but it stil keeps running all the time.
Firmware is 1.09

mihies

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »

Funny, I am on C1/1.07 I think and I have the opposite problem - if I enable HDD sleep then fan starts running out of control at full speed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:17:02 AM by mihies »

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »

Can I ask all you guys a super stupid question? How do you know that the HDDs are "running" all the time? Are the HDD led lights of the NAS flashing continuously?

Vedran

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:13 AM »

well in my case, the network LED is flashing on and off all the time and the HDD led is on. I feel vibration when I touch the unit and feel warm. I formated my hdd and reset unit to factory settings but nothing.
I expect that unit should be "dead" expect some led light that shows it is ON.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:48:47 AM »

I thought so. There is nothing wrong with your nas. The HDD lights are always on. This indicates a disk is in the bay. It does not indicate activity. Actually, here is what's written in page 3 of the dns-323 manual, which came with the device:

Drive LEDs: These LED's will be solid BLUE when drives are connected. The LEDs will blink when the drives are being accessed, formatted or synchronized. They will illuminate AMBER if a drive has failed.

Activity LED: This LED will illuminate solid BLUE when there is an Ethernet connection. It will blink to indicate LAN traffic.

monty156

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 08:52:34 AM »

Correct if I am wrong but further the above post I thought the blue indicator in the power button dimmed when the drives shut down and is bright when the drives are running.

McPillager

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »

Correct if I am wrong but further the above post I thought the blue indicator in the power button dimmed when the drives shut down and is bright when the drives are running.

no.

it dims, my bad. But does this mean that your disks are working (i am not sure if calling this the 'hdd light' is correct)? do the hdd lights flash?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:57:46 AM by McPillager »

TThibodeau

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »

I have 2 dns-323 in front of me and I can tell you this is how they work. Power light does dim.
Access the unit and the power button goes bright.