• April 19, 2024, 01:39:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: SharePort 3.0 comments and feedback  (Read 149004 times)

sesca

• Level 2 Member
SharePort 3.0 comments and feedback
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:32:57 AM »

I am looking for any and all feedback on SharePort 3.0. Keep the posts in this thread so that they are easier to track.

If you are having trouble with SharePort connecting be sure to list:

Router Model Number/Hardware Revision/Firmware Version
SharePort Version (should be 3.0)
USB Device that you are connecting to

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:39:38 AM by sesca »

dishinit

• Level 1 Member
Re: SharePort 3.0 comments and feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »

DIR-655, A4 Hardware, 1.33NA firmware, Shareport V3.0,  WD Element 250 Gig External USB drive formatted Fat 32 with about 150 Gig of avi files.
One Win 7 x64 PC simply would not connect, or connect then disconnect, then reconnect and so on.
Systems that were originally connecting, were unable to connect within the next day or two.
This was with Win Firewall changes and Broadcast at 192.168.0.255. With or without these settings, it did not seem to matter.
When these disconnects would happen, my wireless connections would go off the air.
Downgraded firmware back to 1.21NA, No Securespot, Shareport V0.93 and....... all is good....all systems connect & disconnect properly to HD and Printer with Shareport version. My router is stable with the 1.21 firmware and I really do not see any drop in Wireless range. Using N only, I get 243 to 270 Mbps on laptop Wireless N Bus Card (same room as router) to low of 162 Mbps appox. 45' from router. On my HTPC, 162 to 243 Mbps with USB N adapter at 30+ feet from router and through walls, and can stream Blue Ray from WHS server via wireless to my Living Room LCD.
I think I'll quit tinkering!

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:45:50 AM »

I just installed it on a couple of PC's, one XP Pro and one 7 ultimate x64. It was nice to finally be able to easily install the printer driver and have the auto printer connect work right away. With v1.10 it would just sit there at the checking to see if the driver is installed stage and never find it or prompt to install it. I never got the new hardware found prompt to install the printer driver. Any way its nice and smooth now, thumbs up on that part. I originally had problems with Shareport on my DIR-655 A4. The usual wouldn't connect after a while. Two flashes to 1.32NA and it was fixed. I'm now running 1.33 and have no problems printing from my XP PCs. I had some problems printing from my windows 7 PC's, lots of blank pages and pages with one line of text. I don't know if its Shareport of maybe my printer driver. Its a Brother HL-1230 and all they have is Vista Drivers. My daughters Windows 7 x86 netbook and my 7 x64 desktop did the same thing. I printed a test page when I setup the printer and that printed OK. I just printed my WEI, which is two pages, and it printed the first page OK, but then I got a blank page and the next page had garbled text. I'm guessing its the Vista print driver thats the culprit. I'm going to install it on my daughters XP desktop today when shes at school and do some more testing. I don't expect any problems as it always worked on XP for me, but she does a fair bit of printing for her school work so it should a good test. More latter.  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:40:23 PM by alphanumeric »

purple_python_2

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:09:24 AM »

Dlink DIR-655 HW A4 with FW 1.32NA and SharePort 3.0.

Another switch is connected to one of the Dlink LAN ports.

USB Device is a Samsung laser printer ML-1210

Went through a lot of discussion threads (prior to SharePort 3.0), some people recommended :

1) Set "Enable broadcast addresses" on SharePort
2) Set "Enable Multicast Streams" on router
3) make sure PC and router uses the same time server

Since Dlink never dispel any of these "tricks", it's VERY likely some of these are just urban legends (or voodoo magic).      

Anyway, with those "magical" settings with the previous SharePort, I could connect from Dlink wireless and my secondary switch.     The problem back then is that if the router is on for a few days, even though the PCs can see the USB device, the PCs cannot connect to the USB devices any more.    And sometimes, the PCs cannot even see the USB device!

With SharePort 3.0, so far, after the router has been on for a few days, I have no problem seeing the USB device (an improvement).      But I cannot connect (similar to the previous SharePort).     And then I have to reboot the router to be able to connect to the USB device again.

Don't know if there's some sort of buffer over-run OR setting corruption such that after the router is up for a while, the correct setting is "over-written" (i.e. lost).

I understand that D-link has an updated User's Guide for the new SharePort.    I'd REALLY appreciate if there's some more explanation on the usage of "enable broadcast address" in this thread.     And if those other "urban legends" have nothing to do with setting up SharePort, please reply in this thread so that those legends are "killed" once and for all.      Some where in one of the threads before the official release of SharePort 3.0, someone stated that SharePort 3.0 works ONLY with FW1.33NA.     Is that still true or not?

Thanks!!

azturbomini

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »

purple_python_2

I am running W7 x64 and have the following stuff hooked up...

DIR655 Router
DWA140 Adapter
SharePort 3.0 with FW1.33NA
iomega eGo 1TB Desktop Hard Drive

The software and firmware DO NOT work well with each other as my HD is connected - disconnected every 2 minutes or so.

Its troubling that D-Link is making/selling products that DO NOT WORK right. It leaves the customer scrambling on how to fix D-Links screw up when it should be PLUG AND PLAY... Get the hint D-LINK?  Enough said, wheres the fix sesca???

tripdip

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:04:14 AM »

Problems Persist

SharePort v3.0
Router = DIR-655
Hardware Rev. A4
Firmware v1.33NA
Connecting to Canon MP830 multi-function printer
Windows 7, 64 bit
Have two desktops on network. One wired ethernet and one wireless N. Both running Windows 7, 64 bit and Shareport 3.0.

I have followed the threads discussing all of the Shareport connection problems.  Tried many suggestions to no avail.

After continued frustration I was excited to see new software/firmware updates and especially because they listed Windows 7, 64 bit compatibility.  It appeared D-Link had finally responded to the many, many comments about connection problems.

I followed all instructions to clean old version, then updated  firmware and installed Shareport 3.0.

I liked the new user interface.  Everything worked great... for a few days.
Then suddenly the same old issue... Connection problems reared their ugly head.

Printed something in the evening (from wireless pc) with no problem.
Next morning, tried to print something (from wired pc) and could not get a connection.
Several times Shareport appeared to make a connection, only to lose it almost immediately. 
Moved to wireless pc that I had printed from the previous evening, but could not get connection there either.

This is well beyond frustrating...

?? Is there some way to "reset" my router without losing all of my personal settings?

alphanumeric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:23:11 AM »

Instead of resetting it just power cycle it. Pull the power plug and then plug it back in. Another option is to log into the router and "reboot" it. Both do the same thing and usually get Shareport working again, for a while anyway. Your custom settings will stay but the time will get messed up if you don't have the NTP server function enabled. I don't get it? This is what they (D-Link) do, this is there bread and butter and yet they don't have anybody that can code or write software? I guess things just got to complicated for them. It too bad really because the hardware is good stuff when it actually works as intended.

Willber

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 08:32:09 AM »

Upgraded to version 3 and running latest firmware 1.33
With the old Sharport 1.10, when I could connect to the USB hard drive. it would stay connected for several hours and maybe a day tops. Rebooting the router allowed connection again.

Now with Shareport version 3.0, I can always connect but the drive only stays connected for 20 seconds or so. Always able to connect without booting the router.

And another thing I have noticed with version 3.0, the USB drive never shows up in Windows Explorer so this is totally useless.

Shareport was one of the main reasons for buying this router. What a disappointment. :-\

Router DIR-655 works well except for Shareport.
Win 7 64 bit
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:08:36 AM by Willber »

Willber

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 09:20:49 AM »

Removed version 3.0 and reinstalled version 1.10 and now at least I can stay connected for a usable time.
Rebooting the router is required when it's available but can't connect.

And yes, I can now see the USB drive in Windows Explorer.....!

sesca

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:30:52 AM »

I am going to compile the information in the feedback that all of you have given me so far and investigate further on my end. I know this can be frustrating but I appreciate your feedback and cooperation.

craigcls

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »

I have the DIR-825, H/W Ver A1, and was using F/W 1.01, SharePort Utility Ver 1.14, w/ a Western Digital external hard drive connected to the SharePort.  My laptop is connected to the router via a wireless connection and was running Vista Home Premium 64-bit.  For the most part, I could get the SharePort to work, although often, it would disconnect me completely from the router, and I would have to power cycle the router to get a connection back.

I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my laptop, then the SharePort quit working altogether.  I had to upgrade the routers F/W to Ver 1.13NA, and the SharePort Utility to Ver 3.0.  I like the user interface of the newer SharePort Utility, but the connection is COMPLTELY unreliable.  In fact, I cannot complete a system backup of my laptop to the external hard drive because the SharePort connection will disconnect after about 1/2 hr, leaving the hard drive still working.  While the SharePort still recognizes the hard drive, I cannot reconnect to it without first disconnecting power to the hard drive, to get it to quit running so the SharePort has a chance to reconnect, and I still also have to power cycle the router.  Otherwise, when I try to reconnect, there is a constant cycle of connecting, then "did not disconect completely", when in fact there is no connection at all.  VERY IRRIATING!!  3 attempts at a system backup, and I have yet to complete one of them.  I haven't even had a chance to see if I'm able to transfer any other files (such as my pictures that are stored on the hard drive).

I have tried suggested settings that have been mentioned in other posts, but no help.  I'm about ready to get myself an extended USB cable and connect the hard drive directly to my laptop, but that is not what I bought this router for - so I can have a WIRELESS connection.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:59:18 AM by craigcls »

Pluripotent

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:56:39 AM »

The new sharport 3.0 seems to work fine when copying files to and from a network drive using windows.  I can see the files in the drive just fine and shareport remains stable for this.

But...if I try using other programs to access the drive, it doesn't work.  Specifically, I am trying to use acrea backup utility 7.1.6 and eraser 6.0.6.  Both of these programs freeze up when using the network drive as a target.  Then I have to reboot (unplug) the router to get shareport to successfully connect again.  To the best of my knowledge, I have all the latest drivers/firmware/versions available for all of the players involved.

Both of these programs work fine when the target drive is a different 2.5" laptop drive that I have hooked up to the IDE port on my motherboard.  And they also work with the enclosure drive when I connect the USB drive enclosure directly to my computer instead of the router.

The drive is a 2.5" IDE laptop drive that I put in a USB enclosure and have hooked up to the USB port on my DIR-855 router through a USB hub.  Other info:

Shareport ver. 3.0
Windows 7 64bit
Router: dir-855 with firmware 1.22NA
Network adapter DWA-160 A1 driver 1.60

Pluripotent

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:37 AM »

I have tried suggested settings that have been mentioned in other posts, but no help.  I'm about ready to get myself an extended USB cable and connect the hard drive directly to my laptop, but that is not what I bought this router for - so I can have a WIRELESS connection.

You might want to look at this website before you go out and buy a long USB cable.

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5

"In practice, the USB specification limits the length of a cable between full speed devices to 5 meters (a little under 16 feet 5 inches). For a low speed device the limit is 3 meters (9 feet 10 inches)."

craigcls

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I would only be looking at about 6 ft anyway, but I would REALLY like to get this SharePort working correctly.

Peter256

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 07:26:47 AM »

Have a DIR-655. Upgraded Shareport to 3.0 and firmware to 1.33NA. Shareport has been working perfectly for the last 2 weeks. Also seemed to work perfectly before updating firmware from 1.32NA. Two wired desktop computers and one Lenovo T61 laptop running wireless G, Epson R220 printer and Epson V100 Scanner. All computers are Windows XP SP3. Older Shareport would loose ability to find devices, requiring router reboot. Was so frustrating that I gave up on it. Now, Shareport 3.0 works like it is supposed to (keeping fingers crossed).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:30:27 AM by Peter256 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9