• April 16, 2024, 03:18:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Frequent need to Release & Renew  (Read 4039 times)

pete838

• Level 1 Member
Frequent need to Release & Renew
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »

I recently purchased (2) DIR-655 routers; one for home and one for the office. Both are connected to the 'net through CenturyLink DSL via a Zyxel 660 modem.

I am switching from a Cisco/Linksys WRT54G home and a Trendnet TEW432BRP at the office. I wanted to get up to N and consolidate to a single hardware type. The 655 came highly recommended, and the price was right at $75.

My goal is to utilize RDP (Windows Remote Desktop) between the two points and from other points inbound to either 655. The first hurdle was that the Xyxel modem, by default, blocks just about everything inbound with no hope of opening the ports. The only viable solution was to bridge the modem and allow the 655 to act as DHCP. Done. The modem now should not even have its own IP address, and should completely bypass all of the built-in firewalls, etc. As soon as I went into bridged and forwarded the ports in the router we were in business (though I still can't seem to log in to RDP, the ports are verified open).

On to my actual problem: Every few days I lose my internet connection. Internal network is open, and I can share files and printing. WAN is not accessible. If I log in to the DLINK utility, DHCP Release, then renew the WAN IP everything works fine...for a few more days. Then the problem re-appears.

Is there a secret setting I'm missing? Or something incompatible with my ISP? I'm currently set up as a DHCP client. I do not have a static IP, and my DSL provider doesn't require a password to use the network.

Also, I'm getting embarassingly poor connection speeds. Not that I am blaming this in any way on DLink, just wondering if the problem may be linked. I am paying for 10 MB/s. Ha!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Frequent need to Release & Renew
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 06:53:48 PM »

If you you seem to be loosing connection, it might be the DSL modem loosing connection and not the router. Have your ISP check the modem for any disconnections in those timeframes.

Make sure the DSL modem is set to always on and check the router for the following option under Setup/Internet/Manual/Reconnect Mode : Set to Always ON.

It's preferred to use the DSL modem in bridged mode and let the router handle all of the data traffic once it's setup correctly to connect to the DSL ISP.

I recommend setting up reserved static IP addresses for you devices on the router as well under Setup/Network settings.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

billy_kidd

• Level 2 Member
Re: Frequent need to Release & Renew
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »

try bypassing the router and connect directly to the modem; do  your speeds improve? If yes, the prblem is between the PC and the modem.

As to losing WAN, does it happen with both wired and wireless devices on your network?  If yes, I'd suspect the problem is with the ISP and/or their modem.

If no, if wired devices still work and wireless devices do not, then you have a common problem with 655's.