• April 24, 2024, 03:59:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: RAID1 file/directory continuity between drives  (Read 3666 times)

robotico

RAID1 file/directory continuity between drives
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »

I decided to add a third 1TB drive to my DNS-323 (fw 1.03) archive strategy, creating a means to avoid congruent MTBF since both original drives were bought and installed at the same time.

Before storing it, I decided to check the second (left) drive for data vs. what I'd seen in the RAID config. I found two directories missing all content. I check the new drive after it had synched with the right drive and it too was missing the content of these directories. So I reinstalled my original (right) drive, found all the content of the directories, copied them to my local drive and they checked out ok. I then reinstalled my original left drive, reformatted, resysnched, and then checked to find that one of the directories originally missing content now had it, yet the other was still empty.

I'm going to copy that directory's content over to another drive, install one of the left drives and copy it over. Then resynch and see what kind of havoc I can produce, but was wondering what was going on here?  thanks

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: RAID1 file/directory continuity between drives
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:42:32 AM »

In the status page of the DNS-323 did it say "Sync time remaining: Complete" showing the RAID was in sync? Did you check this before removing the drive?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

mpc190

• Level 1 Member
Re: RAID1 file/directory continuity between drives
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 11:11:44 AM »

I am also having similar problems.  This is the second time with the same two WD 750gb drives.  First time I had a degraded status, verified that the two volumes had different files and folders (left side with current, right side with old).  I ended up having to reformat both drive and set it back up to RAID 1.  I moved all of my files back onto the new RAID and now had the degraded status.

I'm trying to reformat the HD with the out dated information and will move it to the following:
left side: new reformatted.  right side: HD with up to date information.

I'm hoping this will work now.

update: newly reformatted drive is now syncing up with the original.  will update with status on how long it is before the degraded status shows.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:11:50 PM by mpc190 »