• March 28, 2024, 04:09:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How long does a RAID rebuild take?  (Read 4371 times)

TriOpticon

• Level 1 Member
How long does a RAID rebuild take?
« on: November 18, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »

I've had the DNS-321 for a long time.  I have had a single 2TB drive in there and I just added a second drive and set it up as RAID 1.  I told it to rebuild.  It has been doing that since 2015-11-14.  I am able to access the drive and so far have not had any issues with read/write/delete of files.  I have even shut the system down once and restarted it the next day but it still says it has a seemingly random amount of time left.  Currently says 301.1 minutes and then if I go to another page and come back to the System Info page it says 311.1 minutes.

Is there a way for me to tell if it is really finished or anything?

Thanks.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: How long does a RAID rebuild take?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »

What you are trying to do will go on for ever and will never create a RAID 1 array.

Now, to get what you want you have to first make sure you have a FULL backup of your data that is on the original disk. 

Then with both disks in place go to the web UI and setup a RAID 1 array and format both disks.  When the format is complete you then restore your data from the backup.

Please remember that a RAID array is NOT a backup and only covers you in case a disk goes bad.  If that happens then you pull the bad disk and replace it with the same size new one and rebuild the array (depending on how much data you have on your 2TB array a rebuild will take a few hours even with normal access to the array).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 12:25:46 PM by ivan »