• April 25, 2024, 08:29:49 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DDNS algorithm?  (Read 5405 times)

wrlee

• Level 2 Member
DDNS algorithm?
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:40:40 AM »

What is the algorithm that the DDNS service uses to determine whether to update dyndns.org?  Utilities I've used on my host save the last updated IP so that they _only_ update the service with a new IP if it recognizes that the IP has changed. I could have it check as frequently as I like, but it rarely sends updates to dyndns since the IP rarely changes. I would think that this sort of approach would alleviate the "too frequent" updating problem. I noticed that the "fix" in 1.06 increased the minimum wait time from 1 to 24 hrs... I would think that this shouldn't be necessary if the 323 checked whether the IP had changed.

Bill...

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: DDNS algorithm?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

What is the algorithm that the DDNS service uses to determine whether to update dyndns.org?  Utilities I've used on my host save the last updated IP so that they _only_ update the service with a new IP if it recognizes that the IP has changed. I could have it check as frequently as I like, but it rarely sends updates to dyndns since the IP rarely changes. I would think that this sort of approach would alleviate the "too frequent" updating problem. I noticed that the "fix" in 1.06 increased the minimum wait time from 1 to 24 hrs... I would think that this shouldn't be necessary if the 323 checked whether the IP had changed.

Bill...

This would actually create a different problem.

One of my routers - a Linksys - works like you describe and every month or so I get an email from DynDNS about inactivity, and I have to log in to make sure that I don't lose my registration - my other router - a Netgear - updates every 24 hours and I have no problems.

Yes - I do have a dynamically assigned ip address - however it is not unusual for me to have the same address for long periods - nine, ten, eleven months - at a time, if I want the address to change I have to force a change by either swapping the router or spoofing a different MAC address.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Bluenose

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:02:32 PM »

After I configured DDNS on the DNS-323, I received an e-mail saying my account had been suspended due to abuse issues.

It seems that the DNS-323 was sending too many updates to the DDNS server.

I turned off the DDNS feature on the DNS-323 and downloaded a PC client software application, everything is now working and I don't get warnings from the DNS server.

There seems to be a bug in the DNS-323 firmware 1.05.

jswashburn

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »

After I configured DDNS on the DNS-323, I received an e-mail saying my account had been suspended due to abuse issues.

It seems that the DNS-323 was sending too many updates to the DDNS server.

Ya, that's happend to one of my clients. They have an old Linksys router with shipping firmware. I supposed I could perform and update, but haven't gotten around to it yet (if ever). The best thing to do is what you just did. God knows how many times DynDNS changes the usage policy... ::)

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:59:24 PM »

I can't speak for the DNS-323; as for the DIR-655 router, it has worked beautifully neither updating frequently or infrequently enough to be notified of abuse or disconnected for inactivity.  Even if I never set the date or time on the 655, it always updates the ip address immediately when it changes (the log reflects the ip detection and subsequent update to dyndns) or after a pre-programmed period of time < 30 days. 

My experience with Linksys was dynamic dns updating worked about 20% of the time, then you'd update firmware and there was a 50% chance that the functionality would switch to the opposite of what it was doing.  That was when the WRT series Linksys were popular and perhaps they've worked that out.

In the end, it's better to do dynamic dns from a router due to the fact the router has a physical connection to the WAN and due to internal processes it can more quickly detect changes to the DHCP lease obtained from the cable/dsl/wwan modem.  The DNS-323 would have to keep doing "what is my ip" queries across the internet to do this (perhaps a d-link moderator can be more specific on this process); and may by why you are experiencing trouble. 

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:03:52 PM by ttmcmurry »

jrbilodeau

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:11:03 AM »

From what i know, at least in my experience theres a bug with ddns on the dns 323, which is supposed to be fixed with fw 1.06. it updates every 24 hours or something and then ddns.org blocks it because of excess traffic or something. i had to use my router instead of the dns323