• March 28, 2024, 06:38:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Ports Going Out  (Read 10892 times)

amani

• Level 1 Member
Ports Going Out
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »

We have 3 DES-1228P switches that we are currently using for PoE for a group of devices. One switch is providing PoE for Cisco Aironet devices, and another switch is providing PoE for VoIP speakers in the ceiling.

I've noticed over the last few days a port will go out on the switch. Unplugging the cable above or below will re-establish connectivity with the problem port, and the newly unplugged port will have problems coming up.

For example, let's say port 7 is a top port and it's out (no lights). Port 8 is below port 7. If I unplug port 8, port 7 will come back up and resume activity. If I replug the cable back into port 8, it will not back up. (Hope this isn't confusing, because there's more.)

Now port 7 is up and port 8 is out. I just reseated the cable into port 8. If I unplug port 7, port 8 will come up again and resume activity. If I reseat the cable into port 7, it won't come back up unless I remove the cable from port 8 again.

Here's the interesting issue...

These are all new switches. It's not just an issue that I've experienced with ports 7 and 8 on just one switch. I've seen this strange anomaly with different ports on all 3 switches.

Going back to my example, I have found that if I unplug 8 just enough -- don't completely remove the cable -- but unplug it enough for port 7 to come up and quickly reseat the cable I can usually get both ports up and running again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know if upgrading the firmware would resolve the issue?

Fatman

• Poweruser
  • Level 9 Member
Re: Ports Going Out
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:33:01 AM »

I have never heard of this kind of problem before, you mention firmware, are you at the latest firmware already on these 3 switches?  I wouldn't expect firmware to be the issue here, but these switches benefit greatly from modern firmware regardless.
non progredi est regredi

amani

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »

On the 1st switch, the firmware is 1.30.15. This switch has 4 PoE cameras that are recording video over the network.

On the 2nd switch, the firmware is 1.31.01. This switch has 15 PoE speakers.

On the 3rd switch, the firmware is 1.31.01. This switch has 12 PoE Cisco Aironets.

I'm not sure about the cameras or speakers at the moment, but the I know the Cisco Aironets are 3 watts each. We shouldn't be overtaxing the switch. If I remember correctly, the D-Link switch has a PoE budget of 170 watts.

I just checked the switches again, and so far we haven't had an issues since this morning.

amani

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 08:12:23 AM »

Up until yesterday afternoon, things had been quiet. Yesterday afternoon, port 11 on 3rd switch went out. It also went out again this morning. I managed to get it back up again using the same method as mentioned in this post.