• April 19, 2024, 08:34:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Gradual Decrease in Download speed  (Read 7554 times)

seanboon

• Level 1 Member
Gradual Decrease in Download speed
« on: December 15, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »

I have a DIR-655 for about a year now and I'm noticing that when my router first starts up my speedtest results from the internet are anywhere from 20-35 mbps.  Soon after (say 15-30 mins) that same test will drop down to about 300-500 kpbs.  Has anyone seen this behavior?  It happens across wired,wireless connections.  I upgraded to the latest firmware to see if that would fix it, but that didn't do it.  I guess my next step is to unplug the router and plug the laptop directly into my cable modem to see if it happens without the router in place. Any other thoughts?  I disabled QoS as other posts suggest as well.

seanboon

• Level 1 Member
Re: Gradual Decrease in Download speed
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:25:33 AM »

After I plugged my laptop directly into the cable modem, I had no issues.  The cable modem is Dlink as well.  I suspect I have a bad router at this point.  Anyone else seen this behavior.  This morning my dowload speed was all the way down to 50 kpbs.  PowerCycled it and it's back at 30 mpbs.  It'll be good for the next 15 minutes or so.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »

After I plugged my laptop directly into the cable modem, I had no issues.  The cable modem is Dlink as well.  I suspect I have a bad router at this point.  Anyone else seen this behavior.  This morning my dowload speed was all the way down to 50 kpbs.  PowerCycled it and it's back at 30 mpbs.  It'll be good for the next 15 minutes or so.

Hi seanboon,

It may be a heat issue. Where is the Router located?

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

trongod05

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »

I notice this problem as well but it's only with Wireless-N connections.  Starts out fast then degrades.

seanboon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »

It's located in our laundry room which there is not a lot of heat in.  It is not enclosed.  It is actually free hanging via the power cord and network cables. 

MitchSchaft

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »

My router is covered in black tape. It doesn't have heat issues so I doubt yours would.

seanboon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:31:38 PM »

I replaced the router today with the same model.  Same issue still.  I have no idea where to start now.  There's either something completely wrong with this router model, or there is something else going on with my network. When I'm plugged into the cable modem directly, I don't have any issues.

trongod05

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »

Today I went to speedtest.net and ran a test.  1.2Mbps.  I usually get around 17.Mbps.  I removed the router completely and ran directly from my modem to my desktop computer.  20Mbps.  Then I replaced the router and back to 1.2Mbps.  Cycled the power on the router and back to around 17Mbps.  However, I can start downloads and the will stop halfway through.  This model pretty much sucks.  It's getting hard to find a good router.  I went through 3 different brands in the last 2 months.  What I have found out is they all pretty much have some sort of flaw that ruins the day for me.  I'm thinking of putting this one under the tires of a large truck.  Seems like I would get more enjoyment out of it.  Looks like I'm going back to my WRT54G.  So much for having dependable wireless N connections from any of these companies.  What ever happened to things that work?

seanboon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 09:59:45 PM »

I think I have gotten to the bottom of my issue.  I've done the following.

cable modem --> PC (wired) Result: 20-30 mbps.
cable modem --> router --> PC (wired)  result 20-30 mpbs.
cable modem --> router --> switch --> PC (wired) 15-20 mpbs
cable modem --> router --> PC (wireless)  result degrades after 20-30 minutes to anywhere from 100k to 1 mbps.

I'm pretty sure at this point that the problem is only happening under wireless connections.  That said, my iphone is running wireless (I've set the wireless on the router to only do b/g) and so far the iphone is reporting about 5 mbps down.  I suppose it could be firmware for my wireless adapter in my laptop on win7.  The adapter is Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG.  The driver version says is 13.0.0.107.  I'm about to try the wireless on the latop again with the adapter forced to b/g.

I was also having the problem on another PC that was wired, but I updates the driver for that adapter Intel 82566DC and so far I have not seen the issue repeat.

seanboon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »

This is crazy.  The moment I add my Win 7 laptop to the wireless network, all of my wired and wireless PCs immediately degrade to 1-3 mbps (not running the speed tests in parallel).  Even if I disable the wireless on the laptop after this, the remaining PCs and the iphone can't get back to their former faster speeds.  I wonder if there is something wrong with the driver of this adapter in my laptop that is hosing my entire network.  Is that even possible?

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 07:14:55 AM »

This is crazy.  The moment I add my Win 7 laptop to the wireless network, all of my wired and wireless PCs immediately degrade to 1-3 mbps (not running the speed tests in parallel).  Even if I disable the wireless on the laptop after this, the remaining PCs and the iphone can't get back to their former faster speeds.  I wonder if there is something wrong with the driver of this adapter in my laptop that is hosing my entire network.  Is that even possible?

Hi seanboon,

Is the Win 7 Laptop under Warranty? Did the Laptop come with Windows 7 or did you upgrade overtop an existing operating system?

Try this test.
Remove the Win 7 Laptop from the Network.

Has the Speed returned?

If the Speed returned, reconnect the Laptop to the Network and don't turn the Laptop on. Redo the Speed Test. Test is for a Wired Laptop.

If Wireless Laptop, remove the Drivers for its Wireless Card. Buy a matching Adapter for the Win 7 Laptop that matches the D-Link Router.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DIR-655&tab=3 Click on Works with.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

seanboon

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 11:19:06 AM »

So after a few days of troubleshooting, I have identified the culprit.  It is the Intel 82566DC ethernet card on my desktop.  The drivers for this adapter simply don't work on x64 Win 7, even though they install.  So, I need to go get a new a ethernet card for this pc.  Can someone recommend one that works on win 7 x64?

THanks,
Sean

EddieZ

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »

Get an Intel Pro Gigabit NIC. Best there is.
DIR-655 H/W: A2 FW: 1.33