• April 27, 2024, 02:22:58 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Assistance request - Lost access to drive following power cut  (Read 2756 times)

mgbassace

• Level 1 Member
Assistance request - Lost access to drive following power cut
« on: December 05, 2015, 03:56:56 AM »

Hi All,
Hoping that someone on here can advise, I have search the forums and cannot see an answer. Anyway last night I accidentally knocked the powersupply out of my 320l. I have a 2tb and 1tb drive in the unit 1tb worth set as raid and the remaining as JBOD. On power back up I can see and access the Raid drive from my PC but the jbod on is not accessible, it doesn't even show in the drive management application on the DLINK web interface. Both lights are blue indicating that the drives are okay. Any ideas on how to retrieve access or retrieve the files from this area so I could reformat the JBOD section.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Assistance request - Lost access to drive following power cut
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:34:14 AM »

First you need to check in the logs to see if that gives any indication of what might have happened.  Then look in system status, hard drive info to see if the 1 TB on the 2 TB drive shows up or even if the 2 TB drive shows as a 2 TB drive.

To get this information you have to log in to the web UI as admin using the admin password you set when you setup the unit.  Once you post that information we should have a better idea of what to suggest to help you. 

mgbassace

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:38:17 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Both drives are showing

isk1
WDC
WDC WD2003FYPS-27Y2B0
WD-WCAVY5657535
37°C / 98°F
2000 GB
Normal
Disk2
Seagate
ST1000DM003-9YN162
Z1D0K79H
36°C / 96°F
1000 GB
Normal

Here are the logs for around the time of the power failure sorry about the formatting.

Dec 4
22:20:01
admin logged in.
Dec 4
22:17:40
CIFS: [192.168.0.15] connected to [Volume_1] as user [nobody].
Dec 4
22:17:39
CIFS: Authentication for user [mgbassace@hotmail.co.uk] has FAILED.
Dec 4
21:27:15
Set Fan Speed To "STOP".
Dec 4
21:18:32
Set Fan Speed To "LOW".
Dec 4
21:14:10
System is rebooted or power up successfully.
Dec 4
21:14:06
Set Fan Speed To "STOP".
Dec 4
Set Fan Speed To "STOP".
Dec 4
Set Fan-Control Mode To "Auto(Off/Low/High)"
Dec 4
21:13:58
Set Fan Speed To "HIGH".
Dec 4
21:13:49
Set Fan Speed To "LOW".
Dec 4
20:57:33
System Has Rebooted From A Power Failure.
Dec 4
20:57:33
System Time Is Updated By RTC.

mgbassace

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:41:10 AM »

additionally if i then try the create volume from the remaining space option it defaults to volume 3 as the name which would indicate that volume 2 is there somewhere, dont worry i didnt complete this process it was just to check.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »

It would be interesting to see the log from before the power failure as that might tell us if any disk write was going on.  If that was the case it could be that the Volume_2 file system has been left with a dirty flag set.  The usual way to fix that is to run chkdsk against the dirty volume but I don't know if that ability is available in the firmware - I will get one of my people to have a look at it in the next few days.

Did you have a look under 'Management' --> 'System Status' --> 'System Info'  and then 'Management' --> 'System Status' --> 'Hard Drive Info' ?  These should show if Volume_2 is visible and what state it is in.

mgbassace

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:21:45 AM »

I am at work at the minute, Ironically im an MS Tech for a major retailer but this issue on the NAS has beaten me, I recall yesterday when i was checking that i couldnt see any mention of Volume 2 under either System Info or Hard Drive info.

Do you still want me to try and get the logs from prior to the power off, I can only assume that there was no disk activity as the volume hadnt been accessed in a few weeks.

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:22:00 AM »

If you are sure there was no disk activity at the time the logs won't show anything of use.

I think you have a rather larger problem than first appeared especially if you don't have a recent tested backup to fall back on.

There are a couple of things you could try,
1) do a factory reset - after copying your settings to something like a USB stick.  This might clear the problem but, because we have never seen a case of a missing partition in any of out, or our clients, NAS boxes, I just don't know.
2) power off the NAS, remove the 2 TB drive and install it in a USB/SATA caddy or adapter and use a Linux based box to access it and do repairs as necessary to the partition tables.  You might need a program like DFSee http://www.dfsee.com/ with latest version available at http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/incoming/ It is fully functional for a couple of months and has just about all you want to know about working with disks in the documentation - be careful if you use it in 'expert' mode because you could mess up what you have if you don't know what you are doing.

mgbassace

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 01:58:43 AM »

Thanks for all the help Ivan, I reflashed the box with the firmware the other night and when it rebooted i couldnt access for over an hour, blinking power light and lots of disk activity. In fact i got on to Amazon for a return thinking it was faulty, whilst i was on the line with them the light stopped blinking and the drive was accessible, however the missing partition was still not visible. I may do as you suggest and take the drive out and check it. I may even just take the 1tb out replace with another 2tb and raid the whole thing.
BTW whats you thoughts on the long time with the blinking power light after the firmware flash. Should i be worried and continue with an RMA?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 05:39:13 AM »

We have seen the prolonged disk activity after flashing new firmware on a few occasions.  My understanding is that there has been a slight change in the disk operating section of the new firmware and because of that it does a complete disk and format check (advanced chkdsk including the nodes).

Depending on how long you remaining on the guarantee period I would hold off on the RMA and see how it works with a few days usage.

Your idea of both disks being the same size is good - I have never liked the idea of on odd partition on top of a RAID disk too much can go wrong and end up with lost data on the RAID and standard partition.