• April 19, 2024, 03:15:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-320 and TLER  (Read 5024 times)

jfast

• Level 1 Member
DNS-320 and TLER
« on: March 09, 2011, 02:04:38 PM »

Hi all, yet another thread about WD EARS drives and TLER  ;D

Just received my new DNS-320 with two WD20EARS (WD green 2TB 4K).
All seems ok, but today I've discovered this problem about TLER command disabled in that new series of hard drives.

So, does DNS-320 (as a software RAID I suppose) use TLER command?
If yes, what problems I'll get with my WD drives wich don't support TLER?
I use NAS at home (not mission critical application) but I'd like that my data is in a safe place. Is better to change disks with two Samsung F4 at the same price?

Thanks
Luca

scaramanga

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-320 and TLER
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:43:36 PM »

TLER is not something that a computer or NAS box uses directly. It depends on how you're using the DNS-320 (RAID? Standard?) and for what. As you say so yourself, there are plenty of discussions here.

While you're at it, read about LLC, and what it can, allegedly, do to the life expectancy of your HDDs:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51401
DNS-323 HW Rev. C1 FW 1.08 fun_plug 0.5
2 x Western Digital WD10EARS-00Y5B1 in Standard mode
(LLC changed to 5 minutes. Partitions aligned to 4K boundary)

Joke

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »

I read a thread on another forum, where people did extensive testing of several desktop disks.
The conclusion was that even if some disks will respond to to a "set TLER" command, and will afterwards respond that "Yes, TLER is set", the disks still behave as if it is not set. Any error encountered still can delay disk response longer than the 7 seconds that pro RAID controllers have set as the limit.

It's possible that the DNS-320 have a more relaxed error handling, but unless a D-Link employee posts here I will not know.

SAMSUNG are no different from WD in this matter.

If you need TLER you will have to buy RAID version of disks.

jasonsbx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:05:43 PM »

Hi all, yet another thread about WD EARS drives and TLER  ;D

Just received my new DNS-320 with two WD20EARS (WD green 2TB 4K).
All seems ok, but today I've discovered this problem about TLER command disabled in that new series of hard drives.

So, does DNS-320 (as a software RAID I suppose) use TLER command?
If yes, what problems I'll get with my WD drives wich don't support TLER?
I use NAS at home (not mission critical application) but I'd like that my data is in a safe place. Is better to change disks with two Samsung F4 at the same price?

Thanks
Luca

I read somewhere in this forum I believe that TLER is not used/an issue in the raid setup on these boxes as its OS raid asopposed to hardware.