• April 23, 2024, 06:05:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Firmware Update  (Read 30198 times)

jeangb

• Level 1 Member
Re: Firmware Update
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »

As a non tech customer nor a linux user, I must agree with you for these point:

Do we still see permissions screw up?  Yes
Do we still see the fans not working right?  Yes
Do we have a full functioning usb port for backups? No
Do we have a built in backup routine so we backup the DNS-323 without a computer? No

I'm almots satisfied with this NAS ( I get two of them)  but :

-Permissions are not working as it suppose to be. I have use other software with permission settings and all don't have that kind of limitations of this NAS.
-I was expecting to be able to backup their files from one to the other without the PC. By now I'm using a PC software to do so and have to let it run all night long while the NAS are also running. What a whaste!
- I can't make the FTP work as it should be in a simple manner. It coult be a lack of experience. But I've tried a lot. Result : I've dropped the FTP.

As I said, I'm satisfied with this NAS because it's cheap and do the basic job a NAS should do. But I'm not impressed at all.

klein

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 04:09:14 PM »

hey fordem, having that said does incremental backups work for backing up a computer to the 323?  i have never been able to figure it out. 

I don't even have mine powered on anymore because it doesn't do what i need it to but i do believe in the web gui of the backup section it says incremental is for local only, i could be wrong but i a mpretty sure i am right ...

so if i am right what is the point of incremental backup then if it is for local only, is that for copying a folder to a folder on the same drive because we know it doesn't work across 2 separate drives in the 323?

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »

How do you explain the thousands of users that don't have this problem vs you?
It's not typical of this box but likely a fault with YOURS or your environment. We'd see alot more posts if that were the case.

As for advertised features, don't forget features added after purchase are a bonus and are FREE. That said, I agree they should work :)

I'm struggling to understand why some of you would purchase something that doesn't do what you want it to do.

The box DOES support most manufacturers hard drives and sizes, but not the new, bespoke, special WD advanced format drives. Get over it and buy a Seagate :)

Hi, 2 things, I am not the only one having this problem,
 and EXCUSE ME BUT IM USING SEAGATE DRIVES, and if you are correct above why does a senior executive of Dlink state on Dlink tv that you can use ANY SATA 3.5  HARD DRIVE?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:22:52 PM by rector »

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 10:54:36 PM »

I guess that I am having a problem with some of the posts here.  Some of them say that we should not expect it to work correctly because it is cheap.  Does that mean I can manufacture something, sell it cheap, advertise a bunch of features then when people complain tell them that I don't have to make it work because it is cheap.  What I believe is that whether it cost $10 or $1000 all the features should work and if not they should be fixed.

Other posts say that things that are added in later firmware versions are freebees.  I disagree with that argument.  Does that mean if I go out and buy a new car and it has a newer style radio than was originally advertised that if it does not work then I should forget it because it was a freebee. If the manufacturer adds a feature then it becomes an advertised feature and should work correctly.  I bought this unit specifically for the ftp over ssl feature.  I saw that it was not in the original firmware but was added later.  To me that was a feature and I DID expect it to work.

Finally some say that I am just bellyaching.  I do not think so. All that we as owners of the DNS-323 are asking is that it work correctly and so far D-Link has not responded to our request.  I guess if that is bellyaching then I am guilty.  Is anyone else guilty?

Terry

Tank_Killer

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 11:09:25 PM »

Regarless of weather you, or I are bellyaching.  Or how many spins we put on this issue.

D-Link controls the software development.  It comes out on THEIR cycle, They choose to release half-baked software or not.

As consumers we can choose to buy different products if we feel we have been burned.

So perhaps take your DNS back if it still has in store warranty, or sell it on ebay.  Then CHOOSE to never buy D-Link again (which im sure people are doing not only based on this product).

Build your own NAS?  Lots of consumer choices out there! Fact of the matter is we have all felt burned on all types of consumer items. Just move on.

I personally am unhappy with my D-link products, I am choosing to keep the ones I have and make them work.  However will I buy d-link again?

no.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 11:44:58 PM »

I guess that I am having a problem with some of the posts here.  Some of them say that we should not expect it to work correctly because it is cheap.  Does that mean I can manufacture something, sell it cheap, advertise a bunch of features then when people complain tell them that I don't have to make it work because it is cheap.  What I believe is that whether it cost $10 or $1000 all the features should work and if not they should be fixed.

Other posts say that things that are added in later firmware versions are freebees.  I disagree with that argument.  Does that mean if I go out and buy a new car and it has a newer style radio than was originally advertised that if it does not work then I should forget it because it was a freebee. If the manufacturer adds a feature then it becomes an advertised feature and should work correctly.  I bought this unit specifically for the ftp over ssl feature.  I saw that it was not in the original firmware but was added later.  To me that was a feature and I DID expect it to work.

Finally some say that I am just bellyaching.  I do not think so. All that we as owners of the DNS-323 are asking is that it work correctly and so far D-Link has not responded to our request.  I guess if that is bellyaching then I am guilty.  Is anyone else guilty?

Terry

Hi, How dare you whine, you should pay your money and happily cop this crap product, Let me know if you want to buy another 323, it will be cheap

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 11:46:11 PM »

Regarless of weather you, or I are bellyaching.  Or how many spins we put on this issue.

D-Link controls the software development.  It comes out on THEIR cycle, They choose to release half-baked software or not.

As consumers we can choose to buy different products if we feel we have been burned.

So perhaps take your DNS back if it still has in store warranty, or sell it on ebay.  Then CHOOSE to never buy D-Link again (which im sure people are doing not only based on this product).

Build your own NAS?  Lots of consumer choices out there! Fact of the matter is we have all felt burned on all types of consumer items. Just move on.

I personally am unhappy with my D-link products, I am choosing to keep the ones I have and make them work.  However will I buy d-link again?

no.

DITTO

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 06:56:54 AM »

Cheap DNS-323?  I'll take it. :)
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »

hey fordem, having that said does incremental backups work for backing up a computer to the 323?  i have never been able to figure it out. 

I don't even have mine powered on anymore because it doesn't do what i need it to but i do believe in the web gui of the backup section it says incremental is for local only, i could be wrong but i a mpretty sure i am right ...

so if i am right what is the point of incremental backup then if it is for local only, is that for copying a folder to a folder on the same drive because we know it doesn't work across 2 separate drives in the 323?

Let me try again - maybe third time lucky.

I am not discussing any features that backup the data on your computer to the DNS-323 - I'm saying that the D-Link never advertised the DNS-323 as having a feature that backs up the data on the DNS-323 itself.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »

Hi, 2 things, I am not the only one having this problem,
 and EXCUSE ME BUT IM USING SEAGATE DRIVES, and if you are correct above why does a senior executive of Dlink state on Dlink tv that you can use ANY SATA 3.5  HARD DRIVE?

Hi rector

My comment at using Seagate drives was directed to the customers complaining that WD's new advanced format drives don't work in the DNS-323.

Regarding the video, I suspect it was created long before advanced format drives even existed. The product was released at least 5 years ago after all. Next to the video is a download link of tested, known compatible drives - of which those WD drives are not listed. Regarding these unsupported drives, complaining because D-Link weren't psychic when they created the NAS all those years ago, is a bit silly. Whether or not they are able to offer a patch to allow them to work now, is another matter.

If this NAS doesn't do what you want it to do, the most sensible thing to do would be to return it rather than complain here.

If you're interested in getting your NAS to work, perhaps you could try resetting it to factory defaults, giving it a static IP address and use a known good ethernet cable directly between it and a laptop/PC on the same subnet to test it. You don't need a special cross-over cable. If you can access everything as you should, the problem is obviously elsewhere. Otherwise, YOUR NAS is faulty.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 01:43:58 PM by jamieburchell »
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2010, 05:55:06 PM »

Hi rector

My comment at using Seagate drives was directed to the customers complaining that WD's new advanced format drives don't work in the DNS-323.

Regarding the video, I suspect it was created long before advanced format drives even existed. The product was released at least 5 years ago after all. Next to the video is a download link of tested, known compatible drives - of which those WD drives are not listed. Regarding these unsupported drives, complaining because D-Link weren't psychic when they created the NAS all those years ago, is a bit silly. Whether or not they are able to offer a patch to allow them to work now, is another matter.

If this NAS doesn't do what you want it to do, the most sensible thing to do would be to return it rather than complain here.

If you're interested in getting your NAS to work, perhaps you could try resetting it to factory defaults, giving it a static IP address and use a known good ethernet cable directly between it and a laptop/PC on the same subnet to test it. You don't need a special cross-over cable. If you can access everything as you should, the problem is obviously elsewhere. Otherwise, YOUR NAS is faulty.

So if I understand you correctly, your saying we should ignore statements made in currently available promotional videos by Dlink? If thats correct what else should we not take notice of in Dlink product information?

So far as factory defaults, Ive nearly worn the switch out  

You will notice if youve read my posts that on advice from this forum and in the manual its set to a static IP I have used 192.168.0.250, and 192.168.0.199

I have tried it with 2 known good straight through cat5e cables, and yes I have a cable tester, as ive been caught before

Unfotunately the NAS is out of warranty
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 06:00:10 PM by rector »

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »

Hopefully your issue is sorted now you've disabled the NAS's DHCP server.

It's not rocket science- WD have started making a new type of drive and they don't work in the NAS. Check the list of compatible drives before purchase.

rector

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2010, 07:39:54 PM »

Hopefully your issue is sorted now you've disabled the NAS's DHCP server.

It's not rocket science- WD have started making a new type of drive and they don't work in the NAS. Check the list of compatible drives before purchase.

Hi, I have disabled the dhcp server, but youll notice (from the earlier posts)  ive done it some time ago, not just today, and there most certainly have been no conflicts, but that still doesnt explain no NAS until configuration is opened and closed with no changes made. Dont get me wrong when the NAS is working it does allow me to backup to a raid setup which is my main priority. It even allows me to use Acronis to backup, and Ive tried restoring files, and it works great.  Its a shame I cant get it to work as a print server, and I havent tried using FTP. Some time ago I bought a combination dlink router with usb print server, after agonizing with it for ages, dlink simply shrugged it off by saying it didnt work with my usb printer (a HPg55). Again at the time of purchase it said it would work with usb printers. I have 3 printers in my office, but I just wish to have the g55 through the server so it can be used without turning my main pc on. I realize its a multifunction but I just want to print, not scan or fax or make coffee. The print driver is built into xp and win7.

I have been accused of slating the product, and to be fair I have need for occasionally sending faxes (yes old fashioned faxes) from my pc, I have a Dlink usb v92 fax modem, which is a fantastic bit of gear that worked out of the box with no drivers,no nothing.

I accept the NAS is probably faulty, but my only doubt comes when according to this forum Im certainly not alone with this problem, and im not yet fully convinced that its not a firmware problem. Id update to 1.09 but it appears the only change is uploading backups to the net, which is no use to me. This is my first attempt at network storage, and it will be my last using this brand. Maybe my expectations were too high thinking that a NAS would be available to the network, without fiddling, when powered on?

Thanks for your comments anyway   

tfiveash

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2010, 10:58:57 PM »

Hi Rector:

I understand your problem and agree with you.  I am the IT director of a company and we are moving to new headquarters with all new hardware.  In the next six months I will purchase several million dollars of new hardware and I will guarantee that there will be NO D-Link hardware on that list.  We have been having problems with our NAS's but if you check the web you will see problems,  like you have experienced, with other equipment without D-Link giving you any answers and their don't care attitude does not help.

Jamieburchill:   I just pulled the following off D-Link's website under Overview/Description:

When used with hard drives, D-Link's award-winning DNS-323 backs up your files and allows you to access them from virtually anywhere over the Internet. You should always have a backup.
SAFELY SHARE DIGITAL FILES LOCALLY AND OVER THE INTERNET
The D-Link® 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure (DNS-323) when used with two internal 3.5” SATA drives1 enables you to share documents, files, and digital media such as music, photos, and video with everyone on your home or office network. With the built-in FTP server3, you can access your files remotely over the Internet from anywhere in the world and keep data safe by only giving rights to specific users or groups. When configuring the DNS-323, you can create users and groups and assign them to folders with either read or read/write permissions.

This is ideal for an office environment with employee-specific sensitive data or for the home where you can ensure your children will only have access to age appropriate material. With the built-in USB print server port, you can add a USB printer to your network without a dedicated computer so anyone can print from anywhere on the network.

D-Link DNS-323 Special Features:

•SATA Drive Support
•Internet Access via FTP
•UPnP AV for Storing and Streaming Media Files
•10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Port
•USB Print Server Port
•Built-In Fan Included

STREAM DIGITAL MEDIA CONTENT TO UPnP™ AV COMPATIBLE MEDIA PLAYERS
The DNS-323 includes the latest BitTorrent® software support so you can access and store digital media from the Internet without the need for a dedicated PC to be turned on or connected. The DNS-323 connects directly to your home or office network and acts as a media hub for BitTorrent-enabled content. The DNS-323 also acts as an UPnP™ AV media server that streams media to a compatible player (such as those found in D-Link’s MediaLounge™ product line).

PROTECTION, PERFORMANCE, AND FLEXIBILITY
Four different hard drive modes (Standard, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID1) enable you to choose the configuration best suited to your needs. Standard mode creates two separately accessible hard drives. JBOD combines both drives in linear fashion for maximum space efficiency. RAID 0 combines both drives in a ‘striped’ configuration, which provides the highest performance. RAID 1 causes the drives to mirror each other, providing maximum protection. If one drive fails while configured as RAID 1, the unaffected drive continues as a single drive until the failed drive is replaced. The new drive will then be remirrored, returning full protection to both drives after it has been mirrored.

SIMPLIFIED MANAGEMENT
The DNS-323 can automatically back up your data regardless of your computer’s operating system (Windows®, Mac®, or Linux®). For Windows users, the included feature-rich backup software can help you create schedules and rules including real-time full or incremental backups and storage quotas for specific users and groups. The DNS-323 also features a built-in FTP server3 to access files through the Internet, enabling you to manage your files from anywhere in the world.

The 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure (DNS-323) is a high performance, cost-effective solution that provides protection, performance, and flexibility along with simplified management and gigabit connectivity, perfect for your home and small business data storage needs.

WHAT THIS PRODUCT DOES
The D-Link 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure (DNS-323) when used with internal SATA drives1 enables you to share documents, music, photos, and video across the network and on the Internet so family members, friends, or employees can access them. This network storage enclosure creates a central network point for backing up valuable files and the built-in RAID 1 mirroring technology1 protects these files from drive failure. You can also use this device to stream photos, music, and videos to UPnP AV compatible network media players4.

ROBUST SOFTWARE INCLUDED
The included CD contains the D-Link Easy Search Utility. This utility allows access to the DNS-323 from anywhere on the network. A feature-rich backup software is also included. You can backup valuable files from a computer to the DNS-323 in real-time, manually or on a schedule. Real-time backups are a great way to safeguard against unfortunate accidents that may result in the loss of precious files.

1. Hard Drive(s) not included. An internal SATA drive is required to store or share your files; drive must be formatted before use.
2. RAID 1 mirroring requires the use of two (2) internal SATA drives. To avoid data incompatibility in RAID 1 operation, use SATA drives from the same manufacturer. Formatted drive capacity for RAID 1 operation is dependant on the drive capacity of the lowest-sized drive. May not work with older generation SATA drives. For a list of SATA drives that have been tested to work with the DNS-323, visit
D-Link Tech Support site.
3. Unless additional precautions are taken, use of an FTP Server to access files over the Internet does not provide for secure or encrypted transmissions. It is recommended that the end-user utilize a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to establish a secure FTP session.
4. D-Link cannot guarantee full compatibility or proper playback with all codecs. Playback compatibility depends on the codec support of the UPnP™ AV media player.

How current do you want? Just how many of those features don't work. By the way the only mention of hard drive was an internal 3.5" SATA drive was needed.

Terry

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010, 12:41:18 AM »

@rector I've had my NAS for about 2 years in RAID 1 with 2 Seagate hard drives. I had firmware 1.07 and 1.08. I use it almost every day to backup files, store and stream music, films, photos and have had zero issues. I really like this device from the start- which is why it's frustrating to see comments like this product doesn't work, it's junk, it's ***** etc. It is a disjustice to the product.

This isn't the best NAS on the market, the hardware specs are low end in terms of memory and processor speed, but the hardware hasn't changed considerably in 5 years so it's not surprising.

The facilities I use are FTP, SMB shares, user and group access restrictions, scan disk and a small fun_plug file to format and dump the data to an external USB drive. I've also used the iTunes and UPNP media server. All work flawlessly.

Did you try directly connecting to the NAS from your computer i.e taking your router out of play?

@terry too- while there are probably bugs in the firmware (name me a cheap consumer device without one) all these things work fine for me. I'm not really sure which of the copied text/features don't meet your expectations.

If I was an IT director of a company spending millions of dollars on enterprise grade hardware, this NAS wouldn't be on my list. It's a "low end" SOHO device.

Regarding the only part mentioned was you need a SATA drive, there's also a compatable drives list along with the product literature.

I don't imagine D-Link are going to reshoot all of their marketing videos, edit every information ever published and retract every statement ever made to include "oh, these new WD drives don't work". Hence the requirement for a list of known tested, working drives.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:54:24 AM by jamieburchell »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5