• April 26, 2024, 08:07:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Network settings not surviving reboot?  (Read 6454 times)

green_lantern

Network settings not surviving reboot?
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:45:15 PM »

Hi there, we have a 323 with 1tb green WD x2 has 1.08 firmware. configured as DHCP client. DNS1:router address DNS2:blank, LLTD enable runs  with a mixed windows 7 & xp ps3 environment.
With the last firmware upgrade from 1.07; reset to factory-firmware upgrade-reset to factory-power down,up-reset to factory-configured. Basic share volume_1.

Network access is fine for mapped resources once initially configured however..

after power down then subsequent power up, no windows network access is possible to mapped drives or network discovery to volume_1... can ping, can logon to ip. Cannot access as above. until ip login-lan-save settings.

Then windows network access is possible to mapped drives or network discovery. I dont have the experience to take this further maybe, so suggestions to help resolve would be appreciated thank you.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Network settings not surviving reboot?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 05:29:40 AM »

I have no clue what you mean by "until ip login-lan-save settings", but I'd suggest you try a static IP instead of a DHCP address. Never know, it may help.

When you say power down, are you refering to the DNS323 or your PC's?
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 06:22:13 AM »

If the DNS-323 is losing the settings, it's broken.  It's hard to know what is happening from your description, but I'm guessing you have other networking issues.

Note that with permissions enabled, you need to provide login name/password to the DNS-323 to connect, and if you don't have them saved through a reboot, you'll need to do it again.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

green_lantern

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »

ip login-lan-save settings means login to the dns323 via browser ip with user name & pw, then from the product page selecting lan from the left menu, then selecting save settings button. After selecting, the unit will kick out the browser page from lan back to the login page.

Power down refers to the dns323, either by button on front of unit, or selecting shutdown from the tools page via browser.

green_lantern

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »

Currently there are no user/groups created. No permissions for folder access are set other than default share volume_1 user/group all oplocks yes map archive no r/w yes. The only password set is for the admin account.

Is there a requirement to create users for the 'all' smb list accounts permission?

All devices on the network have ip's assigned by DHCP, via the router. None are static. I have not identified any other conficts, resource problems as yet on the network.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 06:44:49 PM »

My advice stays the same, servers, NAS devices, etc should have static ip addresses, not dynamic.

Are you sure it is the actions that you are taking that make the unit visible or not simply device name propogation through your network which can take a few minutes?
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »

Check out this post, its firmware 1.04 but is exactly the same problem:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=742.msg3226#msg3226

also this post 2nd page third down the list:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11993.msg76161#msg76161

I have had this problem ever since I had this device, when I reboot it I have to re-save a network setting to get access to the shares.

the problem seems to have risen for in the new firmware now and for more people...

R.

green_lantern

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01:32 PM »

Device name propagation is curious, as when browsing through explorer (xp) for example to my network places > Entire network > MSW Network > Workgroup, the dns323 name is listed - just not accessible. With another example using create network map using windows 7 dns323 object is listed, with the appropriate visual 'links' to router etc - just not accessible.

A static ip has been used with this device with previous attempts at resolving. However after reviewing the supplied threads, maybe removing the DNS entry completely in the lan settings page is worth a try? Previously in these DNS fields both either Lan (router) or Wan entries have been attempted.

Rodent

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 01:49:39 AM »

What I don't get is that I thought this was a firmware issue that had been fixed in later firmware's as I am still using 1.04 until the folder rights issue has been fixed, but now that it has reappeared in firmware 1.08 maybe it was never fixed.

When I restart my DNS I am unable to access the SMB's until I re-save a network share, I have left the device on for several days it is like there are no shares until I re-save them, so when I didn't get a solution and not many people where having the same problem I put it down to the firmware version I am using and am content to wait for a descent firmware to be released.

I have tried with the DNS fields blank, still no luck  :'(

R.

EDIT: Once I re-save the network settings the DNS323 is accessible strait away.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:53:20 AM by Rodent »

jamieburchell

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 03:02:17 AM »

This has never been an issue for me- and I've run 1.07 and 1.08 firmwares.
From your description the only setup diference I can see is that you are using DHCP and have enabled LLTD. Why not try re-setting the NAS back to factory defaults and seeing if you can access the shares, enabling features as you need them and testing each stage to issolate any configuration issues you may have.
If your little 323 is not working right,
You've racked your brains and been up all night
Take a deep breath and wipe away the sweat,
Login as web admin and try a factory reset!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 05:06:57 AM »

I've been using the DNS-323 for several years, a number of firmware versions, and with everything from Windows 2K through Windows 7.  I've never seen anything like this.  I'm pretty convinced this is not a firmware issue.

jordxn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »

Just this morning I had the same problem actually, I don't know why it started doing this as I never had any issues before (the only thing I can think of is that I moved the physical location of the box, so maybe I jiggled something)  :( I would set a static ip reboot and it would switch back to DHCP.

I finally figured out an OKish work around - unplug the network cable when you reboot it! This is the only way I could get it to KEEP the static IP address I assigned it after a reboot. After it's finished rebooting (light stops blinking) you can plug the network cable back in and that seemed to do the trick.

Hope that helps someone!

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 04:47:20 PM »

That sounds like a hardware issue to me.