• April 23, 2024, 09:48:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-825 Gigabit LAN oddness  (Read 5629 times)

pkp

• Level 1 Member
DIR-825 Gigabit LAN oddness
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:25 AM »

I recently received a new cable modem (Ubee) from my ISP here in Switzerland, after upgrading to 50000/5000 from 25000/2500.
Now the weird thing is I only get the full download speed if i set the DIR-825 WAN Port Speed to 100.
Everything on my network does 1000mbps. The cables seem to be ok - if I bypass the router I get full d/l speeds.
Anyone know what's going on here? The only thing new to the equation is the Ubee modem doing 1000mps.

Cheers and thanks for any help
Phil

pkp

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-825 Gigabit LAN oddness
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:59:25 AM »

Just to add to the weirdness.
Despite the DIR-825 being set to 100mbs, my macs still claim to have a 1000baseT connexion in the ethernet settings. Transfer speeds from computer to computer are the same as before (20-45 MB/s). All I have is the DIR-825 - no switches or anything.
It just doesn't make sense, or am I being really dense here??

confused

phil

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »

You are a bit confused.  The 825 router has two completely separate network sections.  The first is the LAN section which which should be working correctly at 1.0Gb/s speeds.  The second is the WAN port which is attempting to set the Ethernet speeds to the ISP's Internet access unit.  If the WAN port is set to AUTO speed, it was previously posted that there seems to be a "bug" with the speed setting. 

pkp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:31:29 AM »

ok, thanks.
It turns out unticking "Enable DNS Relay" in Network Settings->Router Settings also does the trick.
You have to make sure your computer has at least 1 DNS Server address though.
Do D-Link have a bug tracker were I can politely complain?
As you say this has been posted before and more and more people will be bitten by this bug when they upgrade to 1Gb speeds.

bkspero

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:59:54 AM »

Do D-Link have a bug tracker were I can politely complain?
As you say this has been posted before and more and more people will be bitten by this bug when they upgrade to 1Gb speeds.

You may try phoning or emailing customer service, or posting here in an attempt to encourage dLink to fix the longstanding flaws in this router's software, but don't expect a meaningful response.  Search this forum back through the rising crescendo of users first politely questioning their experiences (or at least as politely as these things ever seem to go) to an increasing avalanche of others sharing their similar problems.  And dLink's rare and largely ineffectual responses.  Until today when this router is past its peak of sales and most users have either replaced it with another that works more reliably or have just given up complaining.

The best IMHO is the poster who set his router on an electrical timer to power cycle every night so he didn't have it lock up on him daily.  It is a sad, but telling, sign of user's resignation with this product.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:42 AM »

Quote from: bkspero
The best IMHO is the poster who set his router on an electrical timer to power cycle every night so he didn't have it lock up on him daily.  It is a sad, but telling, sign of user's resignation with this product
Why ? Don't have to restart Rev Bx Router:

Up to now it works as it should. Only the wireless could be stronger and faster.

bkspero

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 03:21:12 PM »

Nice.  Version 2.01 firmware.  You have had the good sense or good fortune not to irrevocably upgrade your firmware as too many of us did.  Count your blessings.

Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:14:19 AM by FurryNutz »