• April 26, 2024, 04:17:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems connecting to FTP server from outside my network  (Read 19610 times)

ellwto

• Level 1 Member
Problems connecting to FTP server from outside my network
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »

Hi All,
 I am trying to access my DLINK FTP server from outside my network via a web browser. I can connect no problem using a web browser on my network but when I try to connect from a PC on the internet using IE7 or Firefox 3 I get the following error

Please tell me who you are (code=530)

rather than the login box I get when trying at home - can anyone help?

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Problems connecting to FTP server from outside my network
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:57:25 AM »

Do you have the proper rules created in your router firewall? Port forwarding port 21 or whatever port you may have changed it to. Have you tried a client such as filezilla?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ellwto

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 04:14:41 AM »

Hi,
 Yes - I have set the FTP server to use port 1025 and have this forwarded to the DNS-323 IP address on my router. I also have 55536 to 55663 forwarded to the same IP for passive mode (not sure if I needed this but did it anyway).

Having googled the error it seems that 530 is a Pure FTP server error so it appears I am making it through.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:13:14 AM by ellwto »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 07:32:57 AM »

May I suggest that you take a building block approach - start with the basics (ie use the standard port 21), and get it working and then build on that.

What firmware are you using in the DNS-323?  Versions prior to the 1.08 beta did not fully implement passive ftp and active ftp using non standard ports could/would often be problematic because of the firewall at the client side.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

ellwto

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »

Hi,
 I get the same issue whatever port it is - I'd changed it just in case it made a difference. Firmware is 1.08 because I couldn't anywhere on the previous firmware (ie it may have been hitting the ftp server but the server couldn't get back out) and I'd hoped the changes may make a difference (which it has - I now get a Pure FTP error rather than a failed connection.)

It's a shame the new logging doesn't include user log on events as this may help.

lizzi555

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 11:01:17 AM »

Do you really try from outside or just from your own homenet using the esternal address of your router or a dyndns name ?
Some routers don't have NAT-loopback functionality, so they are not able to route back into their own LAN.
In this case you need someone who tries from another account.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 06:39:19 PM »

lizzi has made a very valid point - which I had forgotten about.

You should be able to run an active ftp server, using a DNS-323 (with any of the firmware versions), simply by forwarding port 21 to the static ip address which has been configured on the DNS-323.

jimmay3

• Level 1 Member
    • MAYPRINTING.COM
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »

I too have had this problem with connecting from anything outside my network since I bought this, I have port 21 forwarding, just don't work.  I also ran port 21 to a software ftp and all was good from an outside net, so it's not the connection or anything getting blocked by my provider.  It simply seems like it's just not responding or allowing the connections...  I've retested it every firmware update hoping it would get fixed, but no go, any other ideas?

ellwto

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »

Hi,
I am connecting via a PC outside of my network using my routers external IP address, not on my own PC on from my network. The port is open (I have confirmed this using the PFPortChecker tool). I would like to point out the thing no one has mentioned here - I am getting a Pure FTPD error when I try to connect:

"Please tell me who you are (code=530)"

From what I can gather (admittedly on google) this is an error code from Pure FTP itself, not from my router - this suggests I am making it through and pure ftp is getting back out - just with an error code.

Fordem - a few weeks ago I set up a user and password for you to try - would you be willing to try again for me just to verify it isn't my network at work (the PC I am testing from is at work) causing the issue (or confirm it is!)

Thanks
Tony
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:05:10 AM by ellwto »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »

I too have had this problem with connecting from anything outside my network since I bought this, I have port 21 forwarding, just don't work.  I also ran port 21 to a software ftp and all was good from an outside net, so it's not the connection or anything getting blocked by my provider.  It simply seems like it's just not responding or allowing the connections...  I've retested it every firmware update hoping it would get fixed, but no go, any other ideas?

Jimmay

If you're having a problem with the ftp server on port 21, the problem does NOT lie in the DNS-323 firmware, but is something in your setup - either the DNS-323 configuration, the router configuration or the ftp client itself.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:49:36 PM »

Fordem - a few weeks ago I set up a user and password for you to try - would you be willing to try again for me just to verify it isn't my network at work (the PC I am testing from is at work) causing the issue (or confirm it is!)

Thanks
Tony

Tony

You'll need to PM me the details again - I did check my PMs but I don't seem to have one that corresponds with the ellwto user name.

ellwto

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »

Thanks - details have been PM'd

ewanwhatarmy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 02:42:48 PM »

Hi, I think I'm having a similar problem when I connect from outside my network (and behind a router).  I have upgraded my firmware to 1.08 and am using filezilla.  I have forwarded public port 6208 to private port 21 becuase my ISP doesn't allow FTP connections through port 21.  Here is a log from Filezilla.

Response:   220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
Response:   220-You are user number 2 of 3 allowed.
Response:   220-Local time is now 14:32. Server port: 21.
Response:   220-This server supports FXP transfers
Response:   220 You will be disconnected after 2 minutes of inactivity.
Command:   USER XXXXX
Response:   331 User XXXXX OK. Password required
Command:   PASS ***********
Response:   230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
Command:   PWD
Response:   257 "/" is your current location
Command:   TYPE I
Response:   200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command:   PASV
Response:   227 Entering Passive Mode (XX,XXX,XX,XX,217,14)
Command:   LIST
Error:   Connection timed out
Error:   Failed to retrieve directory listing

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 03:27:03 PM »

Have you tried changing your FTP port from 21 to say 6208 and forward port 6208 to 6208 to the IP address of the DNS-323?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

ewanwhatarmy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »

Have you tried changing your FTP port from 21 to say 6208 and forward port 6208 to 6208 to the IP address of the DNS-323?

Yep, I actually tried that first.
Pages: [1] 2