• March 29, 2024, 07:28:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: "Host Name"  (Read 18287 times)

loocie

• Level 1 Member
"Host Name"
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:46:41 PM »

I'm looking in the user interface, under Setup/Network Settings/Dynamic DHCP Client List.  I see both wired computers and the wireless Wii connection, but only the Wii has a "host name" (Wii).  One of the computers has nothing, the other says "unknown". 

Where can I name each of the computers so they can be identified in the interface (without knowing which IP address is for which computer)?  Obviously it knows which one is the Wii . . . I would have thought it would be the "computer name" that's in my system prefs.

(In case it matters, both computers are Macs, one running 10.3.9, the other 10.2.8 . . .)

Thanks in advance.

fusch

• Level 1 Member
  • GO CANES!
Re: "Host Name"
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 11:03:27 PM »

loocie,

You can give devices host names by adding a DHCP reservation for them. This will also fix the IP address they are assigned every time they connect to the router. In the "Add DHCP Reservation" section on the same page, just click on the dropdown box that says Computer Name. Make sure the devices are connected. If the device does not broadcast a host name, like your Macs, it will show either blank lines you can select or say "Unknown." Select one of them and then click the << button to load that device's MAC address. Or if you are using one of the Macs to connect to the router config page, just press the Copy Your PC's MAC Address button. Once the proper MAC address appears, give it a desired name in the Computer Name box and also a desired IP address (192.168.0.xxx), making sure to stay within the specified range listed just above in the DHCP SERVER SETTINGS section, usually 100 to 199. Click the Enable box and then click Save Settings at the top and the router will reboot. When you relogin to the router config Network Setting page, it should now be listed under the "DHCP Reservations List" section.

I've been able to successfully do this with 2 laptops, a SlingBox Pro, a wireless printer, and a wireless digital picture frame.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:58:43 PM by fusch »
Any inanimate object, regardless of its position, configuration or purpose, may be expected to perform at any time in a totally unexpected manner for reasons that are either entirely obscure or else completely mysterious.
-Flap's Law

loocie

• Level 1 Member
Re: "Host Name"
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 03:07:28 PM »

Great!  Thanks very much for the clear instructions.  I'll work on it tonight.