• March 28, 2024, 09:57:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: PlayOn vs. TVersity?  (Read 30130 times)

Perski

• Level 1 Member
PlayOn vs. TVersity?
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »

I've only tested PlayOn so far and really like it. I was just getting ready to buy it, when I stumbled across TVersity. Anyone who could give a little feedback between the two, and which of the two works better with the 520?

Thanks!

eman

• Level 2 Member
Re: PlayOn vs. TVersity?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:48:45 PM »

Perski... I use it almost daily.. Allows my 520 to play DivX and just about anything else (except Matroska). They have a free version. Try it.. You will like it...I have not used PlayOn...ce

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:37:33 AM »

These two services are both great and work really well I personally use them both. They are both two totally different services. TVersity is a media server that will do transcoding and allow playback of pretty much any media file type even if the device does not support it through transcoding which is very useful. PlayOn is a service that allows access to a lot of really cool online content including Hulu, YouTube, Netflix, and some others however I think TVersity provides access to some of this online content as well. 
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

eman

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:08:35 PM »

ECF.. Yes, there is a Pro (fee) version that delivers some online content but not Netflix. ce

fredpb

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:52:39 PM »

I have both.

Playon is the most user friendly, and very powerful.  But is very picky.  They have a two week trial.  Be sure to use that ALOT troublefree before you shell out those big bucks.  Also, the 520 and 320 are not officially supported, and they will not fix their code for these devices if there is a problem.

Perski

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 03:43:14 PM »

Great! Many thanks for all the responses! I will try TVersity out as well then before I decide anything. Sounds like you could actually run both? Maybe pay for PlayOn, and then run TVersity for free? (as a complimentary)

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 09:45:55 AM »

yeah you can run both no problem. Just check out the free Playon trial and see what you think and install the free TVersity version also and see what you think.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

buzz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:54:44 AM »

PlayOn is offering a discount right now with a coupon code:
enter coupon code AUG10OFF  = $10 dollars off =$29.99 = until Aug 31st.

This software sold me. Finally a descent web streaming tool for this media player. Thanks of all who talked about it on this forum.