• April 18, 2024, 09:49:00 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Slow bandwidth.  (Read 2509 times)

lotacus

• Level 4 Member
Slow bandwidth.
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »

Ok. I have done some testing.

I have my G built in card in laptop. realtek rtl8187b
dwa-160 on d0ngle
router set to G and N

both connected at the same time to the dir-655.

serv-u FTP bound to the dwa-160
Flash-FXP bound to the realtek

FTP transfer to and from show ~700KB/s That's about equal to 10Mb half duplex wired connection*

setting the router to G only so that both cards operate @ G speeds do not change results.
setting the dwa-160 to G only to match router G only does not change results.

Link to full image: http://hpzdfa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pjUA2xGPemdpNITD-D8iXjTBKWRCZBm4rHC8AB5DXzFgLgTNkS1KVnyTAHiMi0ZdUv4g1kQqtxFZ5HrHL_lhiGFDg5tXIKaJE/slow%20copy.png

Disabled dwa-160.
Left realtek enabled.

used 100Mb wired connection on laptop and bound serv-u to it.
xfer speeds ~1.xx - 2.xx MB/s

Disabled realtek. enabled dwa-160. left all on G. same results.

Changed gateway and dwa-160 to N only. dwa connected at 300Mb according to dlink setup page.

ftp xfer rates ~3.xx-4.xxMB/s normalling hovering around 3MB/s though.

MB= Megabyte
Mb= Megabit
just to let you know that I know the difference.

During the test I was looking at network throughput and comparing the wireless to wired with the wireless to wireless connection, I decided to downstep the connection rate of the wired connection. From 100 full duplex down to 10 half duplex. It wasn't until I got down to 10 half duplex that I noticed the same 700KB/s speeds that I saw with the wireless to wireless connection. I did the same test with the N connected at 300Mbit and the speeds were equal to a wired 100 half duplex.

from what I gather, 54Mbit connection is equal to 10Mbit half duplex
and well, looking at network utilization and throughput the 300Mbit connection is really equal to 100Mbit half duplex, approximatly of course.

Are these numbers normal? If people are bored can you test wireless to wireless and wirless to wired speeds if you have a similar setup? Report your speeds?

I know the typical yadda yadda speals about location, wireless interference and such but if that were the case, then wireless to wired would show the same dimished results as the wireless to wireless. It seems that the gateway is only operating in half duplex mode?

and... when it's advertised as supporting 1Gb? does that mean that the ports are 1Gb or does it mean the switching capability is only 1Gb? are all the ports Gigabit or only the wan port, since it's only the wan port that shows any reference to wired connection rate? Because honestly from the tests, I'm beginning to think it's the latter.

oh, for thos not familiar i'll post again,

H/W A2
F/W 1.05B2

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:06:49 PM by lotacus »