• April 27, 2024, 03:44:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to see MS computers and shared printers on LAN w DIR-628  (Read 3157 times)

wishiboughtsumpinelse

• Level 1 Member

I have Dell desktop w shared USB printer. I also have ACER laptop that has successfully used the Dell's shared USB printer across a linksys router for months. After installing DIR-628, cannot see or utilize the shared printer on the Dell desktop. Followed router documentation, reviewed this and other forums, called dlink tech support. No luck. Placed linksys router back into service instead of DIR-628 and everything worked perfectly. This indicates to me that computer, OS, printer drivers and sharing configuration on both the Dell desktop and ACER laptop are OK.

Using a shared printer has to be one of the most common config of home LANs. USB connected printers are the most common, so I cannot understand why DIR-628 is blocking workgroup recognition.

Experience w dlink tech support at all levels of expertise and management was an unrewarding nightmare. Advice conflicted w documentation, advice conflicted between levels of expertise and mgmt said tough luck. Took an hour to arrive where I started from. At least I followed protocol.

I am hoping there is an obvious error I have made. I choose not to use the Shareport utility as it requires me to request other users to disconnect from Shareport devices when I want to use them.

Perhaps someone out there can assist me, please?

Otherwise I will return the DIR-628 and get a different manufacturer's product.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
Re: Unable to see MS computers and shared printers on LAN w DIR-628
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:27:47 AM »

This problem is somewhat common when changing routers.  It is even more common when replacing a router with a completely different make of router.  A few things to check:

-- Firewalls configurations -- to permit new wireless network SSID to be a "trusted" network -- Norton generally lists all SSID as "untrusted" until you tell it otherwise.

-- Check in the Advance Tab -- Make sure that the option under "Advance Wireless Settings' --> "WLAN Partition" is not checked.  This blocks all wireless "connections" from see other connections.

-- In anti-virus, check for advanced setting which controls the "Use NetBIOS name resolution..." protocol.  This option is sometimes turned on and blocks all networking browsing with the other systems name (ie: \\PC1) but will / should allow this by IP address (ie: \\192.168.1.101)

wishiboughtsumpinelse

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:03:07 PM »

Very grateful for your reply. Tried suggestions w/o success. FYI, pings r good between computers on both name resolution and router issued DHCP IP addresses.

smlunatick

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »

Have you check the File Sharing settings?  Windows seem to not have the File / Printer sharing on be "default."