• March 28, 2024, 04:46:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Self Assigned IP addresses & random connection drops with Mac Leopard  (Read 56325 times)

frostyarcade

• Level 1 Member

I have been working on this problem for a while (a year or two) and have yet to find a solution anywhere  :(

While I am connected to the internet I hit random drops in connection.  My airport bars are full but I can't connect to the internet. (I have done TONS of solutions such as reset my preferred networks, repair/replace keychains, move my router, and many more etc)

I also run into self assigned ip address errors whenever I set my network settings to automatic DHCP.  It is extremely annoying, because I do not want to set my laptop settings to static, because of its incompatibility if I join other routers.

The only solution I know for both of these problems is: for the random drops to cut off my airport and turn it back on and for the self assigned errors to set my settings to static.  Both of these solutions are very tedious and annoying when  trying to connect to the internet for a long period of time.

It would be awesome for a real solution to both these problems!  I hope someone out there knows whats wrong. Thanks!!!!

Ps. I am running Leopard (which may have its problems too) but that shouldnt mean its not compatible!

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

I am going to start at the really obvious and work my way out.

What firmware version are you running?
non progredi est regredi

frostyarcade

• Level 1 Member

I am using 1.04

WPA2 (Enhanced)
AUTO (PSK TCP Settings)
DHCP

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

When the connection drops do you still show an IP?

Does your Airport still show connected?

Do you experience the problem hard wired?
non progredi est regredi

summerstormpictures

• Level 2 Member

Hopefully Snow Leopard will address a bunch of issues like this as well as have a Cocoa Finder that properly keeps up with the network.

I've decided to give up on most Mac OS Leopard tinkering until Snow Leopard comes out. At $29 to upgrade, it's a pretty decent bargain considering Apple's traditional over-priced strategy. If Snow Leopard doesn't resolve things, well, then the tinkering begins again.

I know this doesn't answer your question directly--but in an indirect way it perhaps provides the opportunity to take a break from frustration for a couple months or so. I know I don't need any more of it, so that's what I'm going to do.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

I didn't know we had a date and price for Snow Leopard, let the drooling commence.

If what they claim is true it will be worth the 30 bucks.

That said I don't think that is an answer for the OP, then again I don't know why he would battle these issues for YEARS period.
non progredi est regredi

frostyarcade

• Level 1 Member

It happened again last night.  I checked my IP address and it was saying it was connected.  I currently have my macbook pro set to static ip so it just showed my chosen address.  It shows that I have full bars of connection.  I am pretty sure it still works when I am directly connected.

When i said I have been working on this problem for years I dont mean constantly.  It is only when I come home from college that i run into this router.  I use the campus's networks at school so I only have this problem over the summer when I am home and on my Dlink 1310.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

when it drops can you...

ping your router?
ping your routers gateway?
ping 4.2.2.2?
ping google.com?
non progredi est regredi

jra3086

• Level 2 Member

I too am running into the same trouble. I have an iMac from 2007 with a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 3 GB of RAM, and running Leopard 10.5.7. I just installed the router on Wednesday and it's been up and down quite a bit. Moreso on my iMac than on my MacBook which was purchased around the same time. That still has some trouble, but not as much as the iMac. My temp fix right now is to turn the Airport off and then on again and it fires right back up like nothing was wrong. Interested to know how to do the ping tests??

Fatman

• Level 9 Member

There are 2 ways (I know of) a GUI bases way and a command line way.

The GUI one is in Applications->Utilities->Network Utility, select the ping tab, supply an IP and hit ping, it will tell you how many responses you get (if you get any).

The other way is to open Applications->Utilities->Terminal and type the following command.

ping -c 10 <IP address>

where <IP address> is the IP address you want to ping.
non progredi est regredi

jra3086

• Level 2 Member
Re: Self Assigned IP addresses & random connection drops with Mac Leopard
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 09:56:37 AM »

Gotcha. I did that when my connection was down just now and it said...

"Ping has started ...

PING 4.2.2.2 (4.2.2.2): 56 data bytes

--- 4.2.2.2 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

I also ran it with my router's IP and it said the same thing. My iPhone doesn't seem to have an issue with this connection loss, but I also am using my computer constantly and not so with my iPhone so maybe I just am not noticing.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »

In that case the next thing I need to know is if your iPhone also drops, and more importantly if it drops at the same time as your other Mac OS devices.

Also from the terminal could you tell me if you have an entry for your router when you run a "arp -a".
non progredi est regredi

jra3086

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 10:01:26 AM »

Okay. I'll check it. Running that command brings up this...

? (192.168.0.1) at 0:21:91:da:31:1 on en1 [ethernet]
? (192.168.0.255) at (incomplete) on en1 [ethernet]

jra3086

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »

Nope, my iPhone doesn't lose the connection! It just dropped again on my computer and I tested several apps including Safari and the iPhone showed no signs of slowness or connection loss.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 10:22:44 AM »

and if you run the following commands in sequence do you still have an entry for your router?

arp -d -a
ping -c 10 192.168.0.1
arp -a
non progredi est regredi
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6