• April 18, 2024, 11:45:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Device not responsive after about 1 minute  (Read 2671 times)

urbn

• Level 1 Member
Device not responsive after about 1 minute
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:28:28 PM »

Hi everyone.

I have had a fairly stable DNS-323 for about a year now.

Yesterday I unplugged the device while it was in use while moving some servers around and the device is no longer responsive.  I am unsure what the problem maybe so I figured I would try to help confirm what the possible problem may be.

When I restart the device it starts as expected.  All blue lights, and the switch port lights up (network connection made). I do not get any colors other then blue.   The left drive light does not blink and stays solid (like if the device  was in use / seeking) while the other blinks as the device seems to start up.

After about 30 seconds I can load the admin page, ping the device and view it over a network share.  But after about roughly 1 minute the network connection is dropped and the switch port the device is connect to goes off (meaning the device deactivated the connection).

After this the device sounds like it is continuing to load and then finally just sits there. No light indicators other then solid blue on the drives.

Anyone have a clue to what the problem might be?  If a drive failed there would be some type of light indication correct?

Thanks in advance!

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Device not responsive after about 1 minute
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:45:10 PM »

If it was originally configured with Raid 1, it could simply be rebuilding the mirrot. Leave it for a day or so.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

urbn

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »

I figured it out after a few hours of testing.

I removed both drives and confirmed it wasn't the hard drives.

I did a hard reset and this resolved the problem.  I guess my firmware was corrupted or something. 

After the hard reset I re-configured the device.  Powered down and re-added the drives and everything was back to its original functional state.

dougweiser

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »

Just to offer that I saw a similar issue...

I bought my DNS-323 used.. and upon arrival it seemed dead... and behaving as you said.   All would light up, and I would also see a "link status" light on my switch indicating the ethernet connection came up... but the DNS would never get a DHCP address, and after a minute, would drop the network connection, and the "link status" on the switch would go dark.

As with yours, a paperclip reset on the DNS 323 did the trick.