• April 24, 2024, 04:33:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Copy files from external USB hard drive to NAS; possible?  (Read 4242 times)

jdoe1234

• Level 1 Member
Copy files from external USB hard drive to NAS; possible?
« on: June 29, 2012, 01:09:37 AM »

Hi, I bought the DNS-323 and connected it to my wireless router. I was hoping to remove the enclosure on my external USB hard drive and plug the "file-populated" hard drive into the NAS. However, when I was about to begin, there's a card that says drives will be formatted before use. So the whole thing has been halted for now.

If I purchase another hard drive and format it for NAS use, can I plug my external hard drive to the NAS USB port and directly copy it to the NAS drive instead of plugging it back to my laptop and transfer over to the NAS wirelessly? I've seen some users complaining about slow speeds. I believe transferring it wirelessly may be even slower.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:14:16 AM by jdoe1234 »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Copy files from external USB hard drive to NAS; possible?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 04:22:55 AM »

USB hard drives are not supported by the D-Link firmware.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Copy files from external USB hard drive to NAS; possible?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 05:59:07 AM »

Since DLink no longer is actively supporting this unit you may want to look into alternative firmware or simple addons that permit extended functionality such as using the USB port for a flash drive or hard drive. (Google "FFP DNS323")
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.