• April 18, 2024, 09:36:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: SharePort Network USB Utility v0.94 low throughput?  (Read 4584 times)

axiomatic

• Level 1 Member
SharePort Network USB Utility v0.94 low throughput?
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:23:57 PM »

Hey dlink types. First off. Cool new functionality with the SharePort Network USB Utility v0.94. An excellent start!

However in doing some performance testing with the DGL-4500 and a Seagate 1Tb Freeagent drive I see about 1Mb /sec over wireless 802.11g/n with 100% signal strength from about 5 feet away, and only about 1.5Mb /sec over wired Gb Ethernet connected to a DGS-1248T.

I should think this should be a little higher if you plan to stream anything anywhere?

Opinions?

Thanks! Can't wait to see this updated!

axiomatic

• Level 1 Member
Re: SharePort Network USB Utility v0.94 low throughput?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:17:22 AM »

Well more testing last night and wireless access speeds are still at 1Mb per second but I was able to get the wired Gb speeds up to 5Mb per second.

Still very south of what you would need to stream anything of good quality from the drive.

Is the DGL-4500 processor the bottleneck here?

What kind of speeds should I be expecting?

I have a DWA-643 as well. I will test the 802.11n speeds tonight.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:18:56 AM by axiomatic »

FromAtoN

• Level 2 Member
Re: SharePort Network USB Utility v0.94 low throughput?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

Honestly, I don't expect much out of something that was an afterthought.  They 'may' have initially thought about adding USB functionality but maybe they ran into issues (maybe speed?) and decided against continuing with it.

I personally would expect no more than casual printing or USB key file sharing via any wireless router USB port.  It's a convenience feature and really nothing else.  If you really want data storage then get a server hooked up via GigE, or a lower end "NAS" box hooked up via GigE, and NOT USB.  If you're using external enclosures for any serious transfers then you should be connecting with eSATA and not USB.