• April 16, 2024, 05:41:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Using an SMB share on OSX as a network server  (Read 7183 times)

skinnyoldcoot

• Level 1 Member
Using an SMB share on OSX as a network server
« on: August 03, 2013, 07:52:17 PM »

Has anyone tried this? I can successfully browse and edit files on the share using a windows box, but the same path with the same user just gets a "Test Error" when trying to set it up as a network server. The log doesn't show anything helpful.

BeachDuc

• Level 1 Member
Re: Using an SMB share on OSX as a network server
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »

I'm not sure if I am answering your question , but as I had a bit of trouble setting my system up I thought this might be helpful.

The network storage location is in the format: \\10.0.1.1\###\### (where ### is the name of the network drive and a subfolder, if you need it)
Workgroup is WORKGROUP, unless you have renamed it on the WINS tab of the Network Advanced section of System Preferences
I believe the user name can be anything
The password is the password you set to access the drive
I just set the WINS to 0.0.0.0

I hope that helps

skinnyoldcoot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 06:09:54 PM »

I did a packet trace and it seems that Apple's version of the SMB protocol that they implemented in OSX 10.7 (called SMBX) does not support SMB1.

The protocol negotiate request from the camera is for NT LM 0.12 and the response from the Mac is NT Status: STATUS_NOT_SUPPORTED (0xc00000bb).

So, either Apple has to add SMB1 support back into its SMB server or Dlink has to add SMB2.x support into its cameras.

I might try a 3rd party Samba server instead.

skinnyoldcoot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »

Just in case Dlink is reading this or anyone else has the same problem, here is the output from the Apple SMB log:

WARN [negotiate.cpp:266] 192.168.1.30 SMB client not supported - Unicode, NT Errors, Long Names and Extended Security are required
ERROR [smb_dispatch.cpp:72] request has no session

I ended up replacing Apple's SMB server with the open source Samba server (which was in OSX previously) and it works great now. Use this nice front-end utility to set it up and manage it:

SMBup - http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

skinnyoldcoot

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:19 PM »

Also, using the preview in Finder or Flip player to view the .avi videos, they just show as black screens. I tried VLC player and it plays them fine.