• April 25, 2024, 02:17:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Will firmware upgrade format my hard drive?  (Read 1984 times)

xputnic

• Level 1 Member
Will firmware upgrade format my hard drive?
« on: October 03, 2010, 02:54:46 AM »

hello!

I'm quite a newbie, and need some advice. I'm running firmware 1.06 and want to upgrade to 1.08. My question is: If I upgrade will this mean that my HD will have to be formatted and that all my files will disappear? Or do I have backup (problem being that the hard drive is pretty much full, and that I at the moment don't have anywhere to move them to?)

Another question: when I used to run the bittorrent client in the NAS my experience was that a lot of the times it was really tricky to connect to the web user interface, that a lot of times it froze, that it wouldn't delete files and that it wouldn't me decide where I wanted to put the files, for example if I download music, I want to put them in a music folder, and same thing if I download a movie. Has these issues been solved?

dosborne

• Level 5 Member
Re: Will firmware upgrade format my hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:01:19 AM »

If a firmware update erased the hard drives, there would be thousands of extremely unhappy and angry customers. So, no, it does not.

Regardless, you should have a backup of any important data as you never know when a hard drive may fail for any reason.

The D-Link BT app is pretty limited and the newer version doesn't provide much if anything more than the original version other than it is now an 'application' that can be installed and removed through the admin UI rather than the easy search utility.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.