• April 18, 2024, 06:47:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bittorrent problems (Active connection limit?)  (Read 23353 times)

neb

• Level 2 Member
Re: Bittorrent problems (Active connection limit?)
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 08:10:43 AM »

Thats ODD the Rev B is good hardware. Unless they locked the connection limit of that unit to match the revA, that thing is a IP3K NAT CPU. I'll check in to it.

Lycan, any information on the EBR-2310's NAT CPU? Is there a lock on the connection limit? Should it be performing better?

Thanks for looking into it.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 09:21:56 AM »

It's not locked to anyones knowledge. I'd be interested in a packet capture of your WAN and LAN. See whats going on there. I'll hit up the PM for that unit see what he says.

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 09:58:29 AM »

Thanks for your efforts. I'll try to help as best I can. I look forward to hearing what you find out from the PM. (I'm guessing that's the Product Manager, not the Prime Minister...)

Summary of my experience so far:

Despite continued tweaking, Bittorrent (at least Azureus) essentially blocks all other access to the Internet (from any computer on my LAN) when running. I'm certainly not swamping the upstream or downstream bandwidth of my Internet connection.

Web pages stall on "Connecting to..." (not DNS lookup or data transmitting). Same with email or any other TCP connection. My VOIP phone seems to work fine. Also notice that Azureus itself seems to operate properly, but there are many "Scrape Timeout" problems (these are HTTP connections to trackers, which fail just like the other Web connections).

I was suspicious of the QoS Engine, but was not able to conclude that it was a factor one way or the other (would need more testing).

There is always the chance I've configured something wrong, in either/both the router or Azureus. I've not had any problem like this with my previous router, though.

I have NOT yet tried any serious gaming (like Americas Army), which usually use UDP, to see if other applications cause this problem.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »

Try setting the QoS prirorty for BT to 255?

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 09:30:14 AM »

The only QoS control this router offers is On/Off.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »

Then thats the issue, it's classifing it to low. I had the same issue with the 655 and BT, until I specified the priority to be 255.

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 08:56:03 AM »

This router seems to have the capability to perform much better. The provided software (firmware configuration system) just does not offer good control. I hope D-Link releases a better version of the firmware for this router.

Regarding QoS with Bittorrent (Azureus client), I did try turning off QoS with no noticeable impact. However, I probably did not run the experiment long enough to observe valid results. I'll try BT again someday without QoS and report what I experience.

Thank you for looking into this. Even though this is not the most capable router (I never expected it to be), I'm glad to know it's not just something I've set up wrong.

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »

I tried turning of the QoS Engine to no avail. When Azureus is running, my Internet connection is clogged. This shows up as "Connecting to..." timeouts for TCP-based (including HTTP) connections. It's not a DNS lookup slowdown, or any UDP-based services (such as my VOIP phone, internet radio, or games).

Web pages take forever to connect and often time out. This is for all computers on my network, too, while bittorrent is active.

I've found no Azureus configuration that can improve this situation, but I'm willing to try things, if anyone has any experience in these matters.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »

The issue is the lack of configurable QoS.
Sounds like you need to upgrade. Something lihe the DIR-655.

neb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 11:03:46 AM »

The issue is the lack of configurable QoS.

I see. I thought that by turning off QoS altogether, the bittorrent traffic would not be over-prioritized. However, you're implying there is just too much traffic for the router to handle, so the bittorent traffic should be de-prioritized (so the router can let through other traffic first).

Thanks for the diagnosis. My primary reason for buying this router was its cheap price (that is, if they stop hassling me about the rebate, which I fulfilled perfectly.). I'm moving down from a LEAF Bering Firewall, so I'm just getting used to the cramped space.

Regarding Azureus, the only one configuration that might have made some tiny amount of difference was configuring the Max Number of Simultaneous Outgoing Connection Attempts to 1 (down from 10 default). That way, only one of this router's series of pipes is consumed at a time...

Thanks for your help. These forums are very useful.
Pages: 1 [2]