• March 29, 2024, 08:05:04 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Trouble backing up from My Documents folder Shared works ok  (Read 2558 times)

leggament

• Level 1 Member

I am having some basic backup problems. I purchased the DNS-321 for a home network to automatically backup the “My Documents” folders and subfolders on three desktops and two laptops. I also want to backup all of my photos in the shared portion of my desktop. All except one laptop are running Windows XP, the other Windows 7. I have all the desktops and the DNS-321 hooked up through a gigabyte switch D-link DGS-2208. The wireless comes through a Netgear wireless DSL modem hooked into the switch as well.

Using the Scheduling section in the DNS-321 the only folders that I can back up are in the “Shared Documents” folder. Every time I try to backup any folder in the “My Documents” portion of any computer the backup fails. I have tried changing permissions of the folder to Shared (which I don’t really want to do) that fails as well. I am careful with addresses as I receive a successful test. I am careful ensuring I am backing up folders not files in the Scheduling screen.

All I want is to be able to do is save a file into any “My Documents” folder or subfolder on any of my computers and have a copy go into a back up file in the D-link. The same is true for my “Shared Pictures” but it seems to work okay. I have searched thirty pages of archives and not found this issue listed. I even made a small test tree in the “Shared Documents” and it backups fine also. Nothing works from the My Doc’s part no matter the permissions I give to the folders.

Thanks for any help Scott

PeterS

• Level 1 Member
Re: Trouble backing up from My Documents folder Shared works ok
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »

I'm trying to configure my DNS-321 in a similar way - to pull files from my networked computers (2 Desktops - Win 7 and XP; 2 laptops - Win 7 and Vista).  They are all defined on the network with various shared folder names.

First question - how do I link to the network machines in the Scheduling Settings section?  I tried listing the shared path (netbios format) in the URL field  and using the appropriate authentication and it doesn't work - nothing works.  Is there a way to view the available shares on the network?  I can't decide if I have a format problem or an authentication problem.

Once I figure out how to connect to the network shares, then I'll worry about the rest :)

Pete.