• April 27, 2024, 01:36:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Which 1.5 or 2 TB drive to use?  (Read 5688 times)

kent

• Level 1 Member
Which 1.5 or 2 TB drive to use?
« on: December 26, 2010, 01:26:09 PM »

I just got my dad new drives for his DNS-321 for Christmas. I got the WD Caviar Green drives, and didn't figure out that they won't work until I installed them.

When I try to format as RAID 1, I am told I have a -1 GB drive installed - and I am not allowed to type anything into the "what size do you want as RAID" dialog box.

I am running 1.03 firmware.

Since I can't find anything useful on the D-LINK website, I'm trying to figure out what drives I can use as RAID 1. I'd like 1.5 or 2.0 TB.

Thanks.

I used to recommend the DNS 321 to people, but I'm not loving it so much any more.

hartlenb

• Level 2 Member
Re: Which 1.5 or 2 TB drive to use?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 07:56:24 AM »

I bought the 321 a month or so ago and before reading this forum installed two 1TB Green Caviar drives (WD10EARS).  I had no problem configuring them as RAID0... but haven't had to recover any data so the traffic has been one way.  Performance is pathetic (~ 6Mbps over 1GbE network) and I'm looking through the forum to determine if its the NAS itself or the fact that I'm using these 'unsupported' drives.

mdg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »

Did you read the sticky up above that warns about green drives. I bought some a couple of weeks ago because they were on sale to put in my unit, then returned them the next day and got some  standard low rpm drives that were suitable.

hartlenb

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 08:21:41 AM »

Did you read the sticky up above that warns about green drives. I bought some a couple of weeks ago because they were on sale to put in my unit, then returned them the next day and got some  standard low rpm drives that were suitable.
Not until I had bought the drives... The drives seem to work so the question is whether or not the fact they are unsupported is affecting the performance.  What kind of throughput are you getting with your drives?

mdg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:04:28 AM »

Performance does not bother me - random loss of data does, and from posts all over the place these green drives are high risk on anything that is not standard - not just the DNS321.

Even though this is from 2008its worth reading http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=11682

note especially "Western Digital has the position, that they do not support operation of their disks with other OS than Windows and Mac OS."
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:15:36 AM by mdg »

kent

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »

What drives did you buy?

Does anybody here know what works?

mdg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »

I have 2 Seagate 1.5 terr Barracuda 7200/32MB tsd 1500as - my opinion is that these are safe, they are not high performance on a desktop, but IMO find considering that bandwidth is limited by the network cable

sffire

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:41 PM »

I would also like to know which hard drives will work on my new DNS-321 which I hope to get it on line soon.

I just ordered the Western Digital hard drive model: WD20EARS which is due to arrive next week. 

I am hoping to use two 2TB hard drives if possible.  Look forward in hearing what works.

Thanks

mevink

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »

I've used the following Seagate Barracuda drives in pairs, no problems on performance:

500gb (7200rpm)
1.5tb (7200rpm)
2tb (5400rpm)

While I'm not the biggest fan of Seagate, they seem like a safe bet for this device.  I recently bought the 2tb drives, and went Seagate because of noted issues with the Western Digital "Green" drives under performing.