• March 28, 2024, 09:56:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: My 942L doesn't send email  (Read 70745 times)

mattteo

• Level 1 Member
My 942L doesn't send email
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:09:22 AM »

Hi to all and thanks in advance.

I can't find the proper configuration to enable my 942 to send emails.

I followed instructions found on this forum but it continues to not work.

Here are the details:
Firmware: 1.22
Recipient E-mail Address: my_not_gmail_address
Smtp Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 465
Username: my_mail@gmail.com
Password: my gmail password
Sender Email address: my_mail@gmail.com
Use SSL-TLS: SSL-TLS

When I press test button, it shows me this message: "Send a test mail failure". No other details.  :(

I also tried the following steps:
- change the port to 587
- use my_mail (without @gmail) as username
- change the SSL-TLS option to STARTTLS

None of these worked.

I tried to use the ftp function to see if the camera reaches Internet and it worked, so the camera is correctly configured to access internet.

Any suggest?

Thanks, thanks, thanks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:22:37 PM by JavaLawyer »

mattteo

• Level 1 Member
Re: My 942 doesn't send email
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:47:22 AM »

Update:

I had even try with the hotmail settings (smtp.live.com and my @hotmail.com account).

Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

It would be great if it showed what is the error during sending mail!
Host unreachable? Wrong authentication? Permission denied? Or whatever it is...

Even in the camera log, it doesn't show anything. Only that it failed.  :(

DLINK, if you're hearing this, put the errors in the log, thanks!  :-* ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:36:18 AM by mattteo »

crocodile69

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 03:24:11 AM »

So far I haven't hear of a single person that managed to get the email feature working as advertized by D-Link.

I read some reviews, including the one at smallnetbuilder, that guy said the same thing, he never got any emails from the camera, no matter how he set it up.

belvedere

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »

So far I haven't hear of a single person that managed to get the email feature working as advertized by D-Link.

I have three DCS-942L cameras set up to send e-mails, and I have no problems.  I have cable service and the cable company's SMTP server allows relaying through their server with no username and password, and no SSL.  This is admittedly simpler than what you are trying to do, but I'm just pointing out that the e-mail can work.  The folks who manage to get it to work don't post on forums saying as much :).

Does your ISP offer an SMTP gateway?  You might try that instead of sending through gmail.

mattteo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 12:15:02 AM »

Thanks Belvedere!

Yesterday I did exactly what you have suggested now.

It worked! And it continues to work.
I was waiting to be sure enough that the configuration works.

Considering that you too confirm this approach, I could be sure that it will continue to work.

So, as you have written, my configuration is:
Smtp server: my ISP smtp
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Use SSL: none

So simple!  ;)

belvedere

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »

So, as you have written, my configuration is:
Smtp server: my ISP smtp
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Use SSL: none

Good!  A more detailed error message than "Send failed" for the test-email button sure would be helpful, wouldn't it?

mattteo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »

Good!  A more detailed error message than "Send failed" for the test-email button sure would be helpful, wouldn't it?

Sure, it would!

I'm going to add it to the wish list!

joogle

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »

I have the same problem. The DLINK does not send emails, this is a crucial feature I need that should be working.

I get the same error "Send a test mail failure" using my gmail settings.

Note: I have DCS-932L with the same mail settings that works great.

But the DCS-942L does not, I saved settings, rebooted, etc., but no additional information in the log.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work.

froad

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 01:35:15 PM »

Having "spastic" problems similar in nature.  Went on vacation a few weeks ago - all worked fine from 4 camera's for a week.  I had them set up to take a snapshot once per day per camera and send to my email.  Then they all stopped (a few days apart) - now through mydlink I can only access 2 of them  Can send a "test snapshot" from the 2 I can access, and the test picture comes through fine.  One camera did send snapshots for 2 days again, and then stopped.  I have rebooted the router a couple times and ALL cameras have been set to reboot once per day - but nothing seems to fix the problem.  Will be home in a week or so and unplug them to reset and see if that helps.  Sure would like some help getting these cameras to works the way they advertise.  NOTE -  Dlink support advised me to unplug the camera to see if this would fix the problem, if not - do a factory re-set and set them up again... maybe a good plan, but I am several thousand miles from the camera's so that support is pretty useless.

Update - after returning home, checked my NAS and every camera recorded "events" as it should for the entire duration.  I suspect the issue was firmware V1.23. As a solution, I hard wired each camera to the router (one at a time) - did a reset (using the reset on the back of the camera) - did a complete re-install and reverted back to firmware 1.22 - actually went through this process twice with each camera to be sure - all 4 now working 100% for now -
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 03:01:35 PM by froad »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: My 942L doesn't send email
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »

I was informed by D-Link that they are aware of this issue. I will post back if I have receive any updates.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

ChristopherTracy

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »

Hi,

Got hold of a 942L today, and had no joy setting up with gmail or hotmail after an firmware upgrade. Performed a firmware upgrade and currently on:
Firmware Version         1.23
Firmware Build Number  3404

I am UK based, and was able to send email using BT's mail server:

SMTP - mail.btinternet.com
Port - 587
Username - <name>@btinternet.com
Use SSL-TLS - No

Made a change seeing: "Send a test mail successfully", and then seeing it being received.

SUPCUZ

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 09:47:04 AM »

I was informed by D-Link that they are aware of this issue. I will post back if I have receive any updates.

Same issue. Can you tell them its a joke that its taking so long. Show some respect to people who paid money for the product by providing adequate help.

ceglia

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »

been unable to send emails using gmail and hotmail (like everyone else).... but got it working using the free email account i get from ISP.

don't waste your time trying to get gmail and hotmail working... it's pointless.  the only way to get email notifications is by using a pop3 style email account, like a school or employer email address or an address given to you by your ISP or hosting company.
DLINK DCS-942L & DCS-2330L, Asus RT-N66U router

kope

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 02:11:55 AM »

I'm using DCS-2132LB. I contacted Taiwan support, and got the solution to get gmail smtp works. The issue is D-Link doesn't support secure sign in. So you need to go to gmail 'My Account' security section to "Allow less secure apps: ON". Since the password field also doesn't support non alphabet characters, so you are advised to create a non-secure gmail account just for cctv mailer purpose. Another reason is this account may use up your email quota with vid/pic attachment. Good luck!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 07:21:39 AM »

Thanks for sharing your information. Hope this helps future users. Enjoy.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5