• March 18, 2024, 10:27:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DCS Network Cameras - Why Have Multiple Hardware Versions for the Same Model?  (Read 13654 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic

D-Link sometimes releases multiple hardware versions for the same product. Hardware changes are typically made to improve upon the original release, but are not substantial enough to re-brand the new hardware version as a completely new model. This post describes the different types of hardware changes and how those changes may impact firmware upgrades.

How Does a D-Link Product Vary Across Different Hardware Versions?

D-Link sometimes makes hardware changes to existing D-Link products to improve stability, reduce manufacturing and product costs, and accommodate electrical component and manufacturing changes and differences. Examples of modifications may include a smaller power supply (i.e. power brick) and swapping out electrical components to improve reliability/stability. Hardware changes across the same product model are typically not visible to the end-user and therefore do not impact product functionality or performance.

What is the First Hardware Version for a D-Link Product?

D-Link typically calls the first hardware series for a product line the A series and the first hardware version is A1.

Hardware Versions and Firmware

Very minor hardware changes will retain the same letter and add the next sequential number. For example, a minor change to hardware version A1 would be called A2. Hardware changes that stay within the same letter family (e.g. A series), can typically all be updated using the same firmware family (unless otherwise noted by D-Link). In this example, hardware versions A1, A2, and A3 can be upgraded using the same firmware file.

More substantial changes to a hardware version are assigned the next sequential letter. For example, a change to the hardware A series (e.g. A1, A2, A3) would be called the B series (e.g. B1, B2, B3). Different hardware series (i.e. different letter designations) cannot use the same firmware file for upgrading. In this example, the A series would use firmware file "A", while the B series would use firmware file "B". The nature of the changes makes the firmware incompatible between letter series (unless otherwise noted by D-Link).

Do Different Hardware Versions with Different Firmware Have Different Functionality

For a specific D-Link product with multiple hardware series (e.g. A series, B series, C series), each hardware series typically maintains the same functionality. However, since the hardware changes between different series warrants separate firmware development tracts. there may be some lag time in the release of new firmware across the different series, resulting in possible inconsistencies while firmware development is underway. Once all the firmware families are synchronized, there should be minimal to no difference in functionality between different hardware series.

What Hardware Version is My Product?

The following FAQ post describes how you can determine the hardware version of your D-Link product: DCS Network Cameras - What Hardware Version is my D-Link DCS Series IP Camera?

Additional Resources

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:59:18 PM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC