• March 28, 2024, 04:55:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows 7 Media Player 12  (Read 12801 times)

tinkertron

• Level 2 Member
Windows 7 Media Player 12
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »

Has anyone try the Windows 7 RC Media Player 12 yet? How do you uses the media sharing in WMP?

digitoxin

• Level 1 Member
Re: Windows 7 Media Player 12
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 02:13:36 PM »

I tried setting up Media Player 12 on the RTM (Final) version of Windows 7 to share my movies and music with my DSM-320.  The music played fine, but the D-Link would lock up when trying to play a video.  Not sure if this is a problem with the DSM-320 or Windows 7.  If anyone has successfully streamed XVID/DIVX .avi files from Media Player 12 to a DSM-320 or any of the newer D-Link clients, please let me know.  I went back to using Twonkyvision which installed fine in Windows 7 and is streaming my .avi files perfectly.

tinkertron

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »

digitoxin dude it's not cool to post your question to mine posting. I hope you are not doing this to other member, cause if you are I hope you get ban from this forum. You didn't provide any useful information to my issue. Maybe you can tell me how you got your media to share through WMP 12. Punk!

digitoxin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 03:35:29 PM »

I answered the first part of your question.  You asked Has anyone try the Windows 7 RC Media Player 12 yet?.  I answered with my experience and the problems I ran across using it.  Looking back I realized I didn't answer the second half.  I'm sorry about that, but you don't have to be such a jerk about it.   Calling people names and wishing bad things on them isn't the way to get assistance from them.  If you would have responsed in a civil manner, I would have no problem taking time to boot into my Windows 7 partition to recall the steps it took to share my media folders and enable access to my D-Link.  Since you had to be a jerk about it, my only answer for you is to grow up.

tinkertron

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »

I'm sorry, please accept my apology. But I can't stand people who post thier questions over my own. Your posting to me seem to cross that border and should have been posted in a new posting. The reason I say this is cause you could be pulling your own responce off of mine and no one would pay any attention to my questions. So i'm sorry if wishing bad luck to you and name calling. So let's move on.

I'm thinking that WMP 12 has removed the the media sharing off it's WMP and just left it up to the operating system "Network Sharing" software. With the earlier version of WMP 11 and below you would have to:
1. Click the arrow below the Library tab, and then click Media Sharing.
2. In the Media Sharing dialog box, select the Share my media to check box.
3. In the list of devices below the Share my media to check box, select a device.
4. Do one of the following:
• If you want to share your media with the computer or device you have selected, click Allow.
• If you don't want to share your media with the computer or device you have selected, click Deny

This is not the same with the newer verison of WMP 11, any advice?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 07:31:37 AM by tinkertron »

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:14:52 AM »

Yes this feature is still available.

Just open WMP and goto Organize<Manage Library and goto lets say Videos and share your folders containing videos and so on with music and pictures is you wish. Then click Apply Media Information Changes.

Then you need to share with devices so goto Streaming<More Streaming options and allow the device you want to stream too.
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

tinkertron

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:37:18 AM »

Thanks ECF, I will try this tonight when I get home, and after Big Brother show tonight. lol

So from what you are saying it seems that MS has changed up the WMP so it's another program you got to relearn all over again.

I heard the the new WMP is suppose to be more easier on the users, but it doesn't seem that away to me. As I mention in the older version not only did you have to open the rights to the divice in Network Shareing, but you also had to do it in the WMP Media Sharing.

Why won't they just uses one program for everything and anything that has to do with media devices?

Why have people go from one program to another and just be done with it?

Thanks again for your responce.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »

Yeah pretty much.

digitoxin

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »

No problem, sorry my response was so harsh.  I was having a bad day and your post set me off.

TukTuk3

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 03:08:26 PM »

ECF,

Thank you very much for your input.  My stuff is working now with your steps.

West Coast

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 11:04:22 PM »

Say folks, I don't know a lot about PC's or software for that matter, so please forgive my not-very-tech method of stating my problem.   I've a new laptop (Toshiba P505) with W7 and WMP 12.  My problem is with the latter.  Let's say I watch a DVD half way through one evening with every intent of watching the second half the next evening.  But the next evening when I click on the movie title, it starts again from the beginning.  What needs to be done?  Respectfully,  West Coast

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:45:06 AM »

If you are selecting the same video you should be getting a prompt to resume. Do you get this prompt if you are to stop a video right now and then play the same file?

West Coast

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 03:48:59 PM »

Well, that is the heart of the problem.   There is no prompt.  If I click on the movie title (just like the previous edition of WMP) the DVD starts from the beginning.  The drop down menus (Organize, Stream, Create playlist) offer no assistance.  Is there a handbook for WMP 12?