• April 16, 2024, 02:30:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Still having port forwarding problems  (Read 12795 times)

cthog

• Level 1 Member
Re: Still having port forwarding problems
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »

Harry,

Okay, that explains why 7005 and onwards wasn't open.  Mystery solved there.

The plot thickens, however.  Well, actually it's kind of thinning out, as progress has been made.  I went through the bridging process on my SBG6580 again, and forwarded the WAN mac of the router in the modem settings.  Not sure if that's just voodoo, but I discovered that port forwarding works from an external connection now.

*However* (of course), when trying to test from home (and from my phone, using Mediadog (to check SAB, sickbeard, etc)), when I use my dynamic dns, I can't open the port.  I have confirmed that the dynamic dns is correctly reporting my cable IP, but more to the point, my phone will connect to the same dynamic host address when NOT on my wireless network.

I wasn't even aware that my wireless network would play a role in the dns resolution of the dynamic ip, but apparently it does.  So what works on a different network doesn't work on my own.  Weird, weird, weird.

Any thoughts on this, guys?

Hard Harry

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »

Ok, first, so to be clear, your end game is to use the Mediadog App on your phone from outside your network, using a domain set up with DDNS that points to a DHCP IP that is configured on your router. Then your port forwarding that IP to x.x.x.113 (NAS IP's) on port 7070-7074.

1. How does the Mediadog app, SABnzbd and the NAS tie together? Or are we talking about two different things?

2. It makes sense that the App wouldn't work on your own network because the app is pointed to a IP that your own router is configured for. I don't think the DIR-865L has loop back. Its the equivalent of calling your own phone number to reach another headset in your house.

But in general are things working now?

cthog

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 06:15:01 AM »

Harry,

You've got the picture.  I used modified firmware for my LS-WVL to enable root access, then installed optware,   I can run SAB, sickbeard, couchpotato, headphones... even LazyLibrarian, and have it always on using about 15 watts.  (Lol, I sound like I work for Buffalo; I don't, but I'm pretty pleased with it, as you can tell.)

So yeah, I have my home IP configured with a DDNS, with the appropriate ports forwarded to the NAS.  Mediadog is configured to query the ports on the DDNS host.  With the built-in router on the SBG6580, it didn't seem to matter whether I used the DDNS or the local ip in my query, whether I was doing it from Mediadog or a network pc.

From what you're saying, it looks like this may simply be a feature (loopback?) that the 865L lacks, which is kind of surprising, since I always figured the SBG6580 had POS software.

In general, things are working--however, I'd love to fix this, because I'd have to select a different host every time I'm at home and want to use Mediadog, which, being an American, is simply way too much work for me.

Now, however, it looks like I'm simply at PhantomMike's issue.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:17:00 AM by cthog »

Hard Harry

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »

Nope, I don't believe the DIR-865L has loopback.

Option 1, to change the host for the Coachpotato (to your LAN IP) when your on your LAN, and back when your off it.

Option 2, you can get a second IP and go modem > switch > DIR-865L (IP1) and LS-WVL (IP2). Then your configuring DDNS on the LS-WVL and not the DIR-856L, but that means it will no longer be behind a firewall. Then your just configuring your Coachpotato for IP2 which would be outside your DIR-865L LAN.

Option 3 is buy a different router. Here is a decent (but out dated) list of routers with loopback.

cthog

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »

Thanks Harry,

I'm thinking Option 4, is hope that DD-WRT is developed for this hardware, which other than the lack of this ridiculously easy to implement feature, is pretty impressive.

Cheers, mate.

Hard Harry

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 04:27:52 PM »

Actually thats possible, just if it happens, its going to be a long time. 1+ years. The DIR-865L seems to use the BCM4706, which is the same chip as the RT-N66U and the WNDR4500, but unlike the RT-N666U it separates the processing of the wireless between the CPU and the Wireless CPU, which means its going to be a pain to code. Thats why there is no 3rd party support (that I know of) for the WNDR4500, because it does the same thing.

I mean if it was a PC, you could edit the host files. Maybe you do something similar with your phone? I assume you have it rooted?

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 08:57:12 AM »

Wondering if this might help with Loop Back?
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=16358.0
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.
Pages: 1 [2]