• April 19, 2024, 01:54:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-615 Remote Administration  (Read 9443 times)

Max A

• Level 1 Member
DIR-615 Remote Administration
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:42:41 PM »

Hello,

I am having a slightly strange issue with the Remote Administration feature on a D-Link DIR-615 router. I have enabled remote administration on port 8080 with no restrictions. I tested it from within the network that the DIR-615 AP is connected to using both local and external IP’s and all seemed to be working fine, however when I got off-site and tried again I cannot seem to connect. I am doing the standard http://externalip:8080/ but with no avail. I am not sure what could be causing this?

I went back on site where this router is located and checked the settings again; at this time I did a VPN to another network which would change my IP, then tried http://externalip.8080 and it worked. Got back to my home PC, tried from there and it would not connect, I even tried using that same VPN which I tested with earlier and it did not work. Am I missing something?

This is quite bothersome as I have used this feature before and the task is so simple. Could someone please tell me if there an additional step which I am missing. Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
Max

forumuser

• Level 2 Member
Re: DIR-615 Remote Administration
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »

Setup a local test: connect the wan side of the dir-615, a pc, and a dhcp server to a common switch. Once all IPs are assigned, see if you can remote to it. If you can then there is no reason this would not work over the internet: unless there are filters defined that drop certain IP blocks etc, or there is some sort of service upstream doing the filtering, like a gateway firewall, nat etc.

Max A

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-615 Remote Administration
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »

Hi forumuser,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

As per your suggestions, I had reset the router to the factory defaults before using it; there are no access rules or filters in place that would be blocking me from accessing this AP remotely. Also, we do not have any other hardware which could be contributing to this such as a firewall. This is an AP which we have setup in an annex of the main building for very occasional use. The only piece of equipment in this building is this AP/ADSL Modem and nothing else. I am also unable to ping the DIR-615 remotely, even after I enabled inbound pings on the WAN IP.

Something caught my attention while looking at this issue today. Both times when I tried to connect to the router remotely and could not, there were no clients connected to it. As mentioned above, it does not get used all that much and there is no dedicated PC connected to it, just the modem. When I did a VPN and or a remote desktop to another network I was able to remote to the D-Link page just fine, but I was connected to it at that time so I was the client. This afternoon, when I left the site, people were still connected to the AP and when I got home I was able to connect to it remotely absolutely fine, I tried this again in a few hours after everyone had left and could not.

Do you think for me to be able to access the WAN IP on port 8080 this AP need to have a minimum of 1 client connected to it? Is this normal? Can this be changed?

Thanks again for your help with this, it is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Max