• April 23, 2024, 10:27:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DWL-G650 locking up computer  (Read 3597 times)

s6g2k

• Level 1 Member
DWL-G650 locking up computer
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »

Hi
I have an old Dell X300 laptop (win xp) on which the wireless antenna is in bad shape so the internal wireless card was not picking up good signal.  I bought a DWL-G650 (h/w b2) pcmcia wireless g card to use in it's place.  It worked beautifully...until it didn't.

I noticed that the PC would spontaneously and completely lock up.  no keyboard, no mouse, internet connection would go down.  Only way around it was to do a power switch power down and restart.  At that time, the card might or might not start up again.  It seemed that if I pulled it out and reinserted it forcefully, it would power up.  Maybe, I'd get an internet connection, maybe not.  I did a driver update, but nothing new was required.  Everytime I would restart, the pc would eventually lock up.  Sometimes at the windows loading screen, sometimes at the login screen, sometimes after a short while of use, sometimes after 4-5 hours.  I was guaranteed to have a problem if I went standby.  I received a couple of blue screens in the process also.

I finally took the card out completely and reinstalled the internal wireless and have had zero problems, aside from poor signal reception.

Should I assume that maybe something went bad with the hardware, DWL-G650?

Thanks

s6g2k

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWL-G650 locking up computer
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 06:17:57 AM »

BTW, sorry if this is not in the right place.  I found navigating around these boards a bit difficult.

s6g2k

• Level 1 Member
Re: DWL-G650 locking up computer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 09:01:10 AM »

as a follow up, I did uninstall and re-install the d-link drivers.  Problem didn't seem to be as common, but was still occurring.  I let it happen twice before taking the card out again.