• March 28, 2024, 08:41:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Connection issues with Minecraft multiplayer  (Read 36194 times)

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
Connection issues with Minecraft multiplayer
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:20:53 AM »

Problem: I can not keep a reliable connection, but only to the game when playing online.
Steps taken: I've powercycled router, modem laptop, tried multiple computers, multiple OS's, factory reset the router twice. Disconnected router and connected to the cable mode, worked fine with no issue, have tried cable and wifi with router.

Interesting info: After the last factory reset, I was able to play with no problem for 90 minutes. After setting up my wireless network (WPA2-AES), don't change anything else but SSID. Aside from the wifi info, the only other item I change is the MAC ID for the internet so I can get online.

Firmware: 1.15
Model: DGL-4500 A1

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Connection issues with Minecraft multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »

What is your ISP service? DSL or Cable? Do you know if the ISP modem is a stand alone modem or does it have a internal router?

How are you connecting to the router, wired or wireless? What wireless mode are you using? I presume factory mixed mode default.

I would review the gaming and game fuel sticky for some good info there. Not sure if your game is PC or game console based? Not sure why you need to change the MAC ID to get online.

Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »

What is your ISP service? DSL or Cable? Do you know if the ISP modem is a stand alone modem or does it have a internal router?

How are you connecting to the router, wired or wireless? What wireless mode are you using? I presume factory mixed mode default.

I would review the gaming and game fuel sticky for some good info there. Not sure if your game is PC or game console based? Not sure why you need to change the MAC ID to get online.

My ISP is Rogers Cable, and the modem is a home networking modem that I bridged so its just sitting there like a modem should.

I normally connect to the router by wireless, however this issue is present when using wired as well. Normally I have the wireless on G/N mixed.

The game itself is for the PC, and I did look at the sticky, but it seemed like all it really did was port forward, which I did try with no real success.

I'm not sure if this will help any, but this has just basically started the last couple of days. I was able to play no problem, but it quickly degraded. As for the MAC address, I'm not sure, its just something I've always needed to do, and it will only work with my desktops mac address.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »

Has the game been updated with with updates recently? If it's happening over both connections, I might venture to say the issue might lie upstream from the router. Doe it happen if your PC is directly connected to the modem?

Wonder if the MAC addressing could be doing something. I have cable here and use a Motorola SB6120 using the gamefuel sticky info. I don't use any Mac Addressing.

You might call up or do some research on the game mfrs web site and see if anyone else reports this issue. Ask them too.

Take a look at your modem logs too, see if there is any issues there to be sure.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

Hard Harry

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 12:46:25 PM »

Mac Address thing is normal. His ISP restricts his IP to devices they have on file so they can charge you more if your using multiple connections. Not many ISP in the US do it, so thats why your not familar with it. That is why most routers have mac cloning on by default though if you use the CD.

Try using one of the stickys to figure out how to create a DHCP reseveration for your PC and the set a gaming rule for 25565 for both TCP and UDP. Thats the default port of most servers. If your server your connecting to is different, change that. The port is the last number in the server address your using. IE  12.34.56.78:25565 . I would also look at the logs at around the 90min mark, that will tell us what the problem is and I can give more input. Go Minecraft! Long Live Notch!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 01:05:15 PM »

;) Got cha.

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »

I actually already tried doing port forwarding with no results at all, just forgot to mention it.

I've just changed the wireless settings back to default, no encryption, ssid of dlink, b/g/n mixed, and it works fine. I'm going to try changing the wireless settings one at a time and try it for 10-20 minutes each time, since it never lasts that long in a short term, if it works for that, it should work for longer times as well from past experience.l

Hard Harry

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 11:59:36 PM »

If all your doing is changing your SSID and its happening, I wonder if your not connecting to your network, but someones elses after changing yours. But good idea, report back when you have the issue isolated.

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 12:02:45 AM »

Theres only 2 or 3 networks in range of mine, and every time I connect I go right back to the firmware page, so thats certainly not happening lol.

So far I've changed the SSID with no noticeable problems, but after changing to Mixed G/N mode, I was having problems. I rebooted the router, worked fine. I'm starting to get worried that it might be somewhat random for the most part.

Edit: I'm not sure whats going on, but even after upgrading the firmware, using a wired connection, using port forwarding, yet still it does it....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:45:42 AM by Arigas »

Hard Harry

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 02:34:56 AM »

Have you bypassed the router and waited a day or so? That would be the next step. It could be the servers or your internet connection itself. You have to remeber those servers are not the strongest in the world, many are simple home computers on crappy internet connections.

Also you may want to check the logs of the router. See what they say at the time of the issues.

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:17:26 AM »

If I could ensure everyone else access to the internet I would remove the router entirely, and the server isn't one that is just someones desktop. Its a server I actually pay monthly to have hosted. I could try bypassing the router for as long as someone doesn't complain, but theres no real regularity as to just how long that could be. I'll give it a try though, see how long it goes.

Hard Harry

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 07:02:46 AM »

This changes things. So I think we need to start over. Are you
1. Having problems connecting to the Minecraft Server (for saves and updates)
2. Having problems hosting, using the Minecraft Server application.
3. Having problems connecting to a Multplayer server?

For each of those, does the problem go away for a whole day if you bypass the router and connect direct to the modem? For 3, can other people connect to the server? Also what is the domain (don't need actual server IP) and port is the server?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:30:47 AM by Hard Harry »

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 08:18:50 AM »

#3 is my problem, only when using the router currently lol

Edit: Was able to test for it for like 2-4hrs, no problem when bypassing the router. Setup similar settings as the xbox gaming/gamerfuel as well, just changed IP and ports to fit the mc server and my laptop, but that didn't make any difference.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:16:07 PM by Arigas »

Hard Harry

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »

Ok, so were clear on what were  troubleshooting atleast. Questions

1. With the router in place, and you play Minecraft, can it reach the normal servers? For saves and such?
2. What company hosts your server? I don't need/want IP address or anything private (death to griefers) but I just want to research what port it uses and see if I cant find anything on the forums about it.
3. Do you have DHCP reseverations set up on the PC?
4. Can you ping the server with the router in place? Is it a IP or domain? If domain, can you ping the IP for that domain?

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »

Ok, so were clear on what were  troubleshooting atleast. Questions

1. With the router in place, and you play Minecraft, can it reach the normal servers? For saves and such?
2. What company hosts your server? I don't need/want IP address or anything private (death to griefers) but I just want to research what port it uses and see if I cant find anything on the forums about it.
3. Do you have DHCP reseverations set up on the PC?
4. Can you ping the server with the router in place? Is it a IP or domain? If domain, can you ping the IP for that domain?
1: If you mean the update servers, then yes, if you mean other SMP servers, I've tried a couple and it seemed to work
2: MyMCServ.com (Gotta love whitelist, keeps them away :D)
3: Yup
4: I can ping the server no problem (IP address)
Pages: [1] 2 3