• April 26, 2024, 08:57:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: [Request] USB disk as destination for Local Backup?  (Read 3034 times)

Joke

• Level 2 Member
[Request] USB disk as destination for Local Backup?
« on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »

Is there any chance to let the Local Backup application use an attached USB disk as destination in a future PW?
The GUI only lets me select the internal disks. I think it would work if only the GUI let me enter the path, manually even.

Currently the only option to backup the NAS is to do it to another NAS, or use a program on a PC.
Buying another NAS just for backup is a waste, since I'd rather use it for content.

D-Link Multimedia

• Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: [Request] USB disk as destination for Local Backup?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:19:57 AM »

Looking into it. Can not guarantee it by next version though. There are some limitations there that need to be put in place since the device is not currently capable of writing to drives such as HFS or NTFS formatted drives. This limitation is not necessarily there when only reading from the USB drive and copying contents to the NAS from the drive however copying back to the USB would have more stringent limitations.

Noted :).

Joke

• Level 2 Member
Re: [Request] USB disk as destination for Local Backup?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:41:48 AM »

Thanks for the answer!

If the USB disk is formatted to ext3 I can both read and write to it when attached. That would be OK for me at least.