• May 03, 2024, 11:13:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DIR-655 w/Firmware 1.21 Setting saving issue  (Read 11953 times)

Orion

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-655 w/Firmware 1.21 Setting saving issue
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »

I noticed lizzi555 fixed the link to the 1.22b05 firmware in the Beta forum. A couple of notes: do not reuse any configuration files, always set up from scratch and manually reenter the settings. Also it is generally a good idea to do a 30/30/30 to make sure that the nvram is properly cleared when loading new firmware. (if you have ever used DD-WRT in a router you will be familiar with the procedure otherwise one version of the method is discussed in this thread http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4590.msg26472#msg26472 )

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 09:27:30 AM »

The 30/30/30 has no effect on the 655.  A simple reset or power cycle is all this router needs.

Angelis83lt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »

yep, I messaged the person about it in the forum in another topic and the person got the link fixed :)  So far it is running very nice. the 30-30-30 thing I think is a bit odd, considering what the reset button on the back of the 655 router actually does. you could get the same effect by just holding the thing in for30 seconds, or 90seconds. no need for all the other stuff really

But I got the new firmware to install finally. Set it up and it all seems to be working just like it should. I disabled securespot, and DNS relay.. working just fine. And websites are snappy again in the connecting.
Thanks for the help.. about 100000X better and more helpful than Dlink support.

Orion

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »

Glad it worked out for you.

As to the other stuff: Most regular members on the board will tell you they have relatively stable setups and cannot replicate the errors seen by many new users depite the same hardware/firmware. There are obvious bugs in the firmware that popup all the time, but some of the less obvious stuff is difficult to pin down and there is a wide variation on what is seen.

Some of it is likely environment related, some of it may be weird combinations of settings or hardware most regulars don't use, some are real hardware failures, some of it leads me to look at the less obvious possibility of flash related issues. Some people even regulars have had to flash the same firmware multiple times before weird and wonderful side effects disappear.

In the DD-WRT forum (completely different linux based firmware, on different hardware) the solution to many of the problems was to come up with flashing instructions that in a lot of cases eliminated a lot of the problems first time users see when installing new firmware (the downside of a bad flash using DD-WRT was actually bricking the Router).

My own view on a "30/30/30" for this device is to factory default the device before I flash, do the flash, and then factory default the device with the new firmware installed. It is more a matter of consistency. I hold the button in less than 30 seconds but longer than 10. I normally do not bother with the other stuff. It has worked for me so far. The version of "30/30/30" mentioned in the thread I had listed is an extreme version.

I will defer to Davevt31 as to the actual neccessity on this particular router.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »

No need to defer to me the 30/30/30 thing not being applicable to the 655 is straight from Lycan.  I'm just repeating the information.

Angelis83lt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 12:02:23 AM »

I would suspect that it is an issue with the configuration utility that therouter runs not properly being able to flash the new settings. Which would lead me to suspect the mechanism that is doing the flashing. All it takes is one oddity somewhere to cause an issue. In this case it was probably due to a corrupt memory segment in the router, dealing with the configuration utility.  Resetting to default would fix it for a one time go.  I do suppose tat it would inded be hard to duplicate a memory curruption issue, since you would have to forcibly currupt it which generally you do not try to do.

amfm

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 09:19:17 AM »

Hello All,

I do have the same problem as Angelis83lt reported, router does not save config, even when i want to change it's time, always reboots without saving change.

So, is version 1.22b05 good? Has anybody tried the leatest 1.32NA?

Thanks

Angelis83lt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »

Hello All,

I do have the same problem as Angelis83lt reported, router does not save config, even when i want to change it's time, always reboots without saving change.

So, is version 1.22b05 good? Has anybody tried the leatest 1.32NA?

Thanks

I am using the 1.22B05 now. It has solved that issue. The only issues I am having now is that the Access control and webfilters aren't workin properly (I have a younger brother who is to have all access to the net blocked after midnight. If I only allow certain websites, then he is able to bypass the block and play his online games. If I completely block him from Internet access, he can use the other wired cable from the other machine to bypass the restictions. this is because the router will not properly identify a change of MAC address on the system, So the router uses the MAC address for the one machine instead of his allowing his to get around the block.  So the access / webfilter controls are not working properly.

Also, you have to let the router assign the IP addresses and such. If you try a static IP address, you can run into other network related issues (Here when a static IP address is used it reports all 0.0.0.0  for that machine within the router. It can make discovery of other computers kinda iffy. sometimes it will do it, sometimes it will not.)

For a majority of people however there is not going to be anything wrong with that firmware. I have had my router up since my last post here using that firmware without hard reboots. Saves the config every time.  I ave also seen an increase of speed as well with it over the 1.21.  I used to never get above 10mb for a connection. however  since I have been hitting 11mb to 12mb.  With an ocassional HUGE spike to 18mb. All through the cable modem.

Sammydad1

• Level 5 Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »

Hi,

Just a few cents to toss in here....

I have had saving issues at times seemingly related to which browser I am using, altho its not supposed to matter.

I seemed to have issues if I changed the default save file name that the router gives (something like gateway.gws in that I liked to have names that were meaningful to me, not just the default name; But I had problems restoring from those names that were meaningful to me, altho I had no clue as to why I was seeing the errors, or even if I was correct in my assumption about the file name.

Just that when I saved using the default file name, I could restore fine....

So go figger....

SD1
DIR-655 A2, FW: 1.35NA

Angelis83lt

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »

Hi,

Just a few cents to toss in here....

I have had saving issues at times seemingly related to which browser I am using, altho its not supposed to matter.

I seemed to have issues if I changed the default save file name that the router gives (something like gateway.gws in that I liked to have names that were meaningful to me, not just the default name; But I had problems restoring from those names that were meaningful to me, altho I had no clue as to why I was seeing the errors, or even if I was correct in my assumption about the file name.

Just that when I saved using the default file name, I could restore fine....

So go figger....

SD1

The issue that was being seen with me was nothing like that. Mine was the factthat it would not save setting chnges within the router itself reguardless of which Browser or even O/S on the comuter was used. Your issue would be trying to reload the setting tat you were able to save in the router and then export from the router to your computer for a later restore of settings.
Pages: 1 [2]