• March 28, 2024, 01:52:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Surround sound (DTS-Dolby-5.1(AC3))  (Read 7756 times)

AVercammen

• Level 1 Member
Surround sound (DTS-Dolby-5.1(AC3))
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »

I was wondering if the DSM-520 is capable of sending 5.1 surround sound through the Digital Audio out to my receiver. I am testing an AVI with AC3 encoded but my receiver does not switch to Dolby, just ProLogic (default) with makes me think DSM-520 is sending a Stereo Signal.
2] Also I have tried to play some WAV sound files but the only 1 working was a ProLogic, the Dolby Digital & DTS did not, just noise. I found those here http://www.kellyindustries.com/sounds.html. I did burned them on CD and put them in my DVD player and they worked, EXCEPT the receiver did not switch between DTS or Dolby Digital.
3] But these are all test files found on the Web, to make sure they are encoded correctly, what is the procedure to rip a DVD, like Terminator 2) using dvdFAB and maintain the DD or DTS sound?
4] Is AVI a good choice to rip to or should I use something else? I believe h.264 is NOT supported!!!
 Since could be an issue I already have collected some 500 Movies (+/- 750Mb each)
5] What is a good program to view the Codec info of a Media files with preferably a Context Menu setup.

So it is obvious I am a little "lost" is this world of Surround sound.

All help is appreciated, Alex.

xman1

• Level 1 Member
Re: Surround sound (DTS-Dolby-5.1(AC3))
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »

Never tried dts through this thing, but I assume it will just pass it along.

AC3's however I pass through coax digital and my proc switches right over into Dolby Digital.

BTW, dts is a competing product to Dolby (AC3).  They are not the same.

-X
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:48:15 PM by xman1 »

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:47:27 AM »

Dolby and DTS work for me, through the optical connection, but it took a few tries to get the chicken sacrificed in the right place because other challenge once you get sound is to have it in sync with the picture  :).  The method that I found that works from a DVD is - DVDShrink to extract the main movie with just the sound track that I want, i.e. either Dolby or DTS.  Then I use AutoGK to create the AVI.  I must have tried dozens of different tools in different combinations (my wife's advice was to forget movies all together as we watched attempt after attempt with either screwed up sound or aspect ratio).  autoGK is the best tool I have come across.  Good luck!

xman1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:39:14 PM »

You might consider using the coax connection over the optical.  Coax can hit 192 khz.  The optical connection is limited to 96 khz.  A lot of people don't know that.

-X

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »

Thanks, I didn't know that.  The optical connection is so cool, with that eerie red glow... I will give the coax a try, that's a pretty big bandwidth difference.

xman1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 11:15:22 PM »

Its not that the optical cable can't do it, it is just that the spec calls for 96khz.  Some manufacturers probably break that rule however simply because it is not a cable limitation, but don't expect too many devices to support it.