• March 29, 2024, 01:54:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: connection issues..  (Read 7362 times)

jeaves726

• Level 1 Member
connection issues..
« on: August 20, 2013, 10:21:16 PM »

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this has been covered or not.  I tried to search for the last few weeks (here and other forums) and can't really find a fix.  I've found key phrases mentioned, but nothing that has solved my issue. 

I have one laptop that will not stay connected to the router (DIR-826L).  Other devices in the house connect just fine.  My laptop will connect then instantly drop the connection.  Within 10 seconds or so, it will reconnect and instantly drop again.  This is an endless cycle.  The obvious is that the laptop has an issue but when I connect to ANY other network, it keeps a solid connection.  I’ve tested my laptop on four other networks and had no issue with the connection dropping.  My next step was thinking maybe the router was going bad, but the other computers that connect wirelessly are not dropped and have no connection issues.  I've attempted to change channels on my laptop which did not help.  I've tried to totally reset the router from the ground up which helped temporarily, but it still happens now.  I have about 11 or 12 devices on the network at any given time.  Eight or nine or those devices are wireless.  I've heard of an eight device limit, but this router is relatively new, so I'm hoping that isn't the case here.  I went to the event viewer for my wireless card and found this message “Security mismatch with 11n. 11n is not in operation.”  My router is a dual band and my laptop connects on the 5G band.  All the other wireless devices are on 2.4 or are hard wired.   My laptop worked for almost a full year with the current settings and now won’t stay connected for 20 seconds. 

Can someone help?  Thanks in advance!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: connection issues..
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »

Link>
Welcome!
  • What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6. Disable IPv6 on the networking properties of the client device as well.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • Any cordless house phones?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
  • Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
  • Try setting Medium or Low power output settings and test again Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

3rd Party Security Software Configurations
  • Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
  • Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jeaves726

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »

Link>
Welcome!
  • What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?
Thanks for the reply!  My hardware version is A1.  Firmware is 1.04.  I'm in Southeast US (Tennessee). I have factory reset my router which helped for about a day before the problem started to surface again.  I also reformatted my laptop (from scratch, not just a restore point). 

Router and Wired Configurations
Some things to try: - Log into the routers web page at 192.168.0.1. Use IE, Opera or FF to manage the router.
  • Turn off ALL QoS or Disable Traffic Shaping (DIR only) GameFuel (DGL only and if ON.) options, Advanced/QoS or Gamefuel.
  • Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • If IPv6 is an option on the router, select Local Connection Only or Disable IPv6 options under Setup/IPv6. Disable IPv6 on the networking properties of the client device as well.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules. Enable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming for routers that have a Media Server option. Disable IPv6 Multi-cast Streaming if IPv6 or Media Server is not being used.
  • Turn off WISH, and WPS under Advanced.
  • WAN Port Speed set to Auto or specific speed? Some newer ISP modems support 1000Mb so manually setting to Gb speeds can be supported by the router. Advanced/Advanced Networking/WAN Port Speed
  • Set current Time Zone, Date and Time. Use an NTP Server feature. Tools/Time.

[/li][/list]

All on this list is done except for reserving IP addresses for each device.  I have 5 of the 12 reserved because they are static (cameras, printer, etc).  I'll add the rest to the list.  I guess at that point the only auto assignments would be guests in the house.  When the computer does connect, the internet connection is up and good, it seems to just be a network connection.

Wireless Configurations
Links>Wireless Installation Considerations and Managing Signal Congestion
  • Ensure the default (dlink) SSID name is changed. Can be anything and not something thats already in use by any neighboring WiFi routers. Under Setup/Wireless/Manual.
  • What wireless modes are you using?
  • 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz routers: Try single mode G or N or mixed G and N on 2.4Ghz and single mode N on 5Ghz?
  • Channel Width set for Auto 20/40Mhz or try 20Mhz only.
  • Try setting a manual Channel to a open or unused channel. 1, 6 or 11. 11 for single mode N if the channel is clear.
  • What security mode are you using? Preferred security is WPA-Personal. WPA2/AES Only. Some WiFi adapters don't support AES, so you might want to try TPIK only or Auto TPIK and AES.
  • Any cordless house phones?
  • Any other WiFi routers in the area? Link> Use InSSIDer to find out. How many?
  • If you have any of these options, Try turning OFF or ON Short GI, WLAN Partition, HT 20/40 Co-exhistance and Extra Wireless Protection if you have it. Recommended settings are default. Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
  • Enable WMM Enable Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.
  • Try setting Medium or Low power output settings and test again Under Advanced/Advanced Wireless.

3rd Party Security Software Configurations
  • Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
  • Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

The names have been changed from the default.  For the 2.4 band its set on "mixed 802.11n, 802.11g, and 802.11 b" and the 5ghz was on "mixed 802.11n and 802.11a."  I just changed the 5ghz mode to 802.11n only which seems to have stopped the drops for the moment.  The channel width and and security are set as you suggested.  I've downloaded InSSIDer and am seeing what is around me.  I'm the only one on channel 1 in the area.  It doesn't appear that anything else should be interfering with me. 

It always amazes me how something can work for so long and then just stop with no setting changes.  I'll finish the reservations and let you know what happens.

Thank you for the help!!![/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:41:33 AM »

If it has been working then suddenly problems are seen, usually points to a external environment condition maybe. Also check the power adapter and wall plug. Try a different wall out let for power to test.

Set 2.4Ghz on Mixed G and N or Single mode N if you don't have any devices that need B or G modes. If no devices are using those modes then theres no need to broadcast them.

Keep us posted.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

jeaves726

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »

I went down the list and made all the changes for both networking and wireless.  I tried to keep checking to see which step fixed the issue, but lost track.  It was either changing the channel on the router (just on the 5ghz band) or assigning a dhcp reservation for each normal device on the router.  Though I tried to change the channel before it seems to have fixed the issue this time. 

Thank you for the replies!  If I hadn't already lost most of my hair, I would have been pulling it out, and with a 7 month old, we couldn't really afford to buy a new router right now.  You are awesome!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: connection issues. (RESOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 12:17:19 PM »

Glad it's working for you, Enjoy!  ;)