• March 28, 2024, 10:47:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Plug in WAN Port --> Inaccessible Router  (Read 36912 times)

ronrosenfeld

• Level 1 Member
Plug in WAN Port --> Inaccessible Router
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:38:37 AM »

I have DSL via Fairpoint.  Westell 6100 ADSL modem. DLink DGL-4100 router.  Had some problems with connecting this week.  After Fairpoint did some work on their side (replaced the connector in the NIC box with one that does not have a capacitor), the signal improved and I was able to connect without issue directly through the modem.  However, I could no longer use the router.

With the modem in "bridge mode" (as it had been in the past), when I would try to access the router I would get a message:
"The gateway is currently measuring your network connection.
Accessing this web page might have an effect on the measurement.
This page will refresh shortly."

With the modem in PPOe mode, if the modem was plugged into the WAN port on the router, when I would try to access the router, I would get the message:

"The action can not complete because the network connection seems to be down"

If I removed the modem from the WAN port, I could access the router without difficulty.

This continued to occur after I reset the modem to factory defaults.

Is my router toast?  If not, what could I try?

Thanks.
 -- Ron

unicrash

• Level 1 Member
Re: Plug in WAN Port --> Inaccessible Router
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:15 AM »

sorry no help from me..but i am having the exact same problem as you..but doesn't look like dlink cares about its customers so no more dlink for me

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »

Link>Welcome!
  • What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
  • Has a Factory Reset been performed?

Internet Service Provider and Modem Configurations
  • What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
  • What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

I recommend disabling GameFuel under Advanced/Gamefuel if your not using it or having it configured.

@unicast - We'd appreciate a little more patience and understanding when posting. Sorry were not able to immediately respond to your posting however it is the weekend here and we are not on call 24 hours a day. We do like our days off here. D-Link and we here in the forum to care about there products and there customers help and needs. If your not willing to be patient and wait for help, then I suggest you phone contact your regional D-Link support office for more immediate help and response.

Be advised, this model router is no longer in production and has been phased out.

Good Luck.

I have DSL via Fairpoint.  Westell 6100 ADSL modem. DLink DGL-4100 router.  Had some problems with connecting this week.  After Fairpoint did some work on their side (replaced the connector in the NIC box with one that does not have a capacitor), the signal improved and I was able to connect without issue directly through the modem.  However, I could no longer use the router.

With the modem in "bridge mode" (as it had been in the past), when I would try to access the router I would get a message:
"The gateway is currently measuring your network connection.
Accessing this web page might have an effect on the measurement.
This page will refresh shortly."

With the modem in PPOe mode, if the modem was plugged into the WAN port on the router, when I would try to access the router, I would get the message:

"The action can not complete because the network connection seems to be down"

If I removed the modem from the WAN port, I could access the router without difficulty.

This continued to occur after I reset the modem to factory defaults.

Is my router toast?  If not, what could I try?

Thanks.
 -- Ron
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

MultipleProblems

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »

Hello,

I can confirm that our company has had 3 calls in 2 days in regards to these routers.

Yesterday a client, using DSL, could not get internet.  Upon arriving the symptoms were that the router continually showed either the "testing bandwidth" message or the "connection down" message.  Firmware verson unknown in DGL-4100.  Unplugging the WAN port allowed me to access management of the router.  Disabling gamerfuel caused the router to never DHCP from their modem.

Today, 2 more clients called with identical issues.  They both were on a cable provider.  Once again unplugging WAN allowed me to access management.  Both of these units were on V 1.7 firmware.

The router when brought in house and put between a work computer and our internal network functions correctly..IE it is routing for my PC only.  When we connect it directly to our internet provider the "bandwidth testing" message again appears.

Have these units been hacked?  Is there a fundamental change that's occurred somewhere?  3 of these going down at almost the same time seems quite odd.

Google was a bit skimpy on the subject and therefore I've joined just to confirm this issue is happening.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:49 AM »

What region are you located?

Is the Auto Update FW feature enabled on the routers?

If the router is working at a different location and not at its designated location, I would presume that an issue maybe with either of the following, cabling, ISP modem or ISP services...
I recommend that you have the ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

• What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?
  • What ISP Modem service link speeds UP and Down do you have?
  • If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>Double NAT and How NAT Works. To tell if the modem is bridged or not, look at the routers web page, Status/Device Info/Wan Section, if there is a 192.168.0.# address in the WAN IP address field, then the modem is not bridged. If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ.
  • Check ISP MTU requirements, Cable is usually 1500, DSL is around 1492 down to 1472. Call the ISP and ask. Link>Checking MTU Values
  • For DSL/PPPoE connections on the router, ensure that "Always ON" option is enabled.

3rd Party Security Software Configurations
  • Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing. 3rd party firewalls are not generally needed when using routers as they are effective on blocking malicious inbound traffic.
  • Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.

Router Placement
Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
6" minimum safe distance between devices.

Web Browser Configurations
What browser are you using?
Try Opera or FF? If IE 8 or 9, set compatibility mode and test again.
Try turning off these features in Chrome:
Top right corner, little bars for options > Settings > Settings (on left) > Show advanced settings.
Uncheck these:
Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors
Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar
Predict network actions to improve page load performance
Enable phishing and malware protection
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:11:21 AM by FurryNutz »
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

dpanchat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »

Hello,

We are having the same issue here. We are using DIR-625 router and this morning it was very slow and after a reboot if failed to start. After some testing when I disconnect the WAN cable I can access the web interface of the router. When I connect back in it gives "The gateway is currently measuring your network connection". Looks like its happening for multiple users.

I am in Alberta, Canada. Is D-Link got hacked ?

Any suggestions or solutions ? We are planning to get a replacement router.

Thanks !

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »

Disable Traffic Shapping and QoS?

What version of FW is currently loaded?

What ISP Service and ISP Mfr Model modem do you have?

Hello,

We are having the same issue here. We are using DIR-625 router and this morning it was very slow and after a reboot if failed to start. After some testing when I disconnect the WAN cable I can access the web interface of the router. When I connect back in it gives "The gateway is currently measuring your network connection". Looks like its happening for multiple users.

I am in Alberta, Canada. Is D-Link got hacked ?

Any suggestions or solutions ? We are planning to get a replacement router.

Thanks !

dpanchat

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 01:34:57 PM »

Disable Traffic Shapping and QoS?

What version of FW is currently loaded?

What ISP Service and ISP Mfr Model modem do you have?

Its weird, right now its working by itself ! I just disabled the QoS and using for now. Will monitor for couple of days.

Thanks

lordrichter

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 01:40:30 PM »

I had this problem with my DGL-4100 this afternoon.  

1) The router was rebooting every few seconds.  No network connectivity, DHCP assignments, or long term access to the configuration due to the constant rebooting.

The router was accessible from the local network only when the WAN port was disconnected or there was no path from the router to the internet.  I also noticed that the FIRMWARE page under TOOLS would not load.

After resetting to factory defaults ( a couple times ), I determined that if the first thing that is done is to go into the FIRMWARE page and turn off the automatic check for updates, the router will stay up while connected to the internet.

I am on firmware 1.7

So, my process to "fix" this is to:

1) disconnect from the internet and power cycle the router
2) get screen captures of each configuration page
3) reset the router to factory default
4) Log in an immediately turn off automatic checking of firmware
5) reconfigure the router by hand using screen captures
6) reconnect to the internet

I want to add that saving the router configuration to a file and trying to restore it does not work for me, even when not connected to the internet.  The FIRMWARE page is inaccessible, so my guess is that the damage is already done.

I am wary of trying to get to the FIRMWARE page while connected to the internet.  I did have the router reboot on me while experimenting when I attempted to go there while connected to the internet.  I did not try to repeat that experiment.

My guess at the cause is some change made by D-Link to the firmware reference that the router gets when it checks for firmware updates.  I suspect that they did something that is incompatible with the router.  I further suspect they either changed the format of the information or simply removed the unit from the list.  It might be some sort of planned obsolescence, but "never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Eventually, I will replace this with another box, but not today.

(Edit: and they may have fixed whatever it was they broke)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »

Thank you for checking on this and sharing your information.

This is an issue that has been seen on another router line and has been addressed there. I'll pass this along to D-Link for review.

Thank you.

bonkas

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 03:07:49 PM »

Thanks for that info  lordrichter

I will give your solution a try tonight with my 4300 and see if it helps - I have this identical issue.

Will let you know what I find.

belly

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 06:45:09 AM »

Nice one Lordrichter
Had same issue on a DLINK 4100 when connecting WAN port.
Your fix worked for me
thanks Mate.  :)

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 06:57:38 AM »

To those still using the 4100 and 4300, it would be advised that you disable the Auto Update feature on these routers. These routers have been phased out and no longer in development or supported and I presume that the FW update servers have been probably disabled for these and other model routers now that they are no longer marketed. So this may be the reason why the Auto Update feature is causing problems. So disable this and the router should work well after that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:39:19 PM by FurryNutz »

user141414

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »

Also running DGL-4300 and seeing this issue.
The admin interface is accessible through web browser initially, but after the router establishes the connection and performs the 'network speed test', the admin interface is no longer accessible.  A PING to the router passes, but DHCP requests from the local network are never resolved and there is no connectivity through the router to the WAN.
The router is responsive and remains that way when turned on without the WAN plugged in but, once WAN is plugged in and connection established, the same behaviour exhibits.

I can confirm that the suggestion to turn off firmware auto update does resolve this issue.

Is it really possible that the firmware is written badly enough that a failed auto update causes the router to stop working?  I would hope that this isn't the case.

Regardless, it seems to be working properly now.  Thanks!

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »

Thank you for sharing.

The FW really isn't the problem rather just the auto update feature thats defaulted to ON and it's looking for the FW update servers that are probably now no longer enabled for some model routers. Just disable the update feature on the router and you'll be good.

Enjoy.

Also running DGL-4300 and seeing this issue.
The admin interface is accessible through web browser initially, but after the router establishes the connection and performs the 'network speed test', the admin interface is no longer accessible.  A PING to the router passes, but DHCP requests from the local network are never resolved and there is no connectivity through the router to the WAN.
The router is responsive and remains that way when turned on without the WAN plugged in but, once WAN is plugged in and connection established, the same behaviour exhibits.

I can confirm that the suggestion to turn off firmware auto update does resolve this issue.

Is it really possible that the firmware is written badly enough that a failed auto update causes the router to stop working?  I would hope that this isn't the case.

Regardless, it seems to be working properly now.  Thanks!

Pages: [1] 2