• March 28, 2024, 07:29:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Drops connection mulitple times a day  (Read 6964 times)

weatheraardvark

• Level 1 Member
    • WeatherAardvark- Des Moines Iowa Weather
Drops connection mulitple times a day
« on: October 21, 2012, 07:33:30 AM »

My DCS-932L  has been working fine.  Recently , perhaps the past week, it suddenly goes off line.   I then have to go to the remote location, unplug it, wait a bit, reconnect and it works fine  for a few hours or less ...then it disappears from the grid,which I have to go back and do the routine over again.   It is getting annoying.

Now.. I also have a DCS-930 as well as 4 Foscams all into the same network.   They don't drop signals, are ready to go and have been on the network for a long time. So it isn't these other 5 units.

My question, is the unit wearing out?  does it need to be replaced.  Sometimes the picture is completely lost.  Here is from the status page, I went  to the location, reset the camera and so forth, so it shows up, but for how long????

Camera Name DCS-932L
Time & Date 21 Oct 2012 9:32:17 A.M.
Firmware Version 1.04 (2012-08-15)
MAC Address F0 7D 68 08 65 D7
IP Address 192.168.0.19
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS 205.171.2.25
DDNS Disable
UPnP Port Forwarding Gateway upnp disable

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Drops connection mulitple times a day
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:51:41 AM »

Did you recently update your DCS-932L firmware to v1.04b05? Some users reported that using this firmware resulted in intermittent disconnects. Although this issue hasn't been officially validated, if your symptoms started after updating the firmware, you may want to try downgrading to your prior firmware version to see if the issue persists.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »

I think that the "drop connection" issue is different from the "camera hanging" issue.  The dlink 930l and 932l issue of it hanging, and requiring a reboot has been around for at least 2 years.  And yes, the only recovery from this is to unplug the dc power connection, wait a few seconds and then replug it.  In fact, I knew of this issure before I purchaced the 932l.  I was warned about this by an AM radio tech who used a 930l to remotely monitor the metering at a remote transmittor site.  As noted in a previous thread, my workaround was to us a mechanical timer to power cycle the camera once a day.  That way it would only be off line for a maximum of 24 hours in the event of a hang.

The "drop connection" issure is not due to the camera hanging, but in very intermittant in duration.  For me, the camera comes back on line in a few seconds at most.  I suspect it has something to do with aquiring a new dhcp lease, but a not sure yet. 

Hopefully, this will help clarify your issue and possible solution.

Regards,
Bob

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 04:44:58 AM »

While it's true that this issue has been around for several years, from personal experience I've found that the firmware version and router make/model have an impact on whether this issue occurs. That said, I haven't come across any recent accounts where users were complaining about disconnects except for this latest FW version, which begs the question as to whether something else is going on.  :-\  ???

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »

@Javalawyer;
WRT the hanging, and relation to versions of firmware...iIrc, it was still there with the 2nd (new) firmware that I flashed.  I have not tested it with this last version.  I do hope it is resolved, but for me the once-a-day repower does the job. 
WRT the momentary disconnects, I have not seen it lately, and unless I knew when a new dhcp lease occurs, I will not likely see it.  That to does not affect me much, it at all. 
I guess all in all, I am satisfied with the job it does for me.  Things do seem to be improving...I even re-enabled the audio, as I noted in posts that the popping was fixed; and so it seems to be so.  All good...
I did mount the camera up about 2 feet higher today, than it was before.  People coming into the furnace room kept bumping it and skewing it off the thermometer.

Regards,
Bob

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 04:44:16 AM »

@Javalawyer;
WRT the hanging, and relation to versions of firmware...iIrc, it was still there with the 2nd (new) firmware that I flashed.  I have not tested it with this last version.  I do hope it is resolved, but for me the once-a-day repower does the job.  

For what it's worth, I used to experience the periodic hangs (often daily) and had to perform a manual reboot to reset the device.  The day I switched from the DIR-615 router to the DIR-857 router the DCS-932L problems stopped.  As far as I know, the camera has been persistently active for almost a year now with no hang-ups, at least none that I've witnessed (except for the one event described below).

The only caveat to my above statement is a series of hangups during the course of two days (about four months ago) that were resolved with a firmware upgrade.  Other than that one event the camera has been 100% reliable from my perspective.

I'm not advocating the purchase of a new D-Link router, but it solved my connection issues.

I guess all in all, I am satisfied with the job it does for me.  Things do seem to be improving...I even re-enabled the audio, as I noted in posts that the popping was fixed; and so it seems to be so.  All good...

The audio issue was explicitly labeled as resolved in a prior firmware update some time ago.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:46:10 AM by JavaLawyer »

weatheraardvark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 05:50:42 PM »

I had an angiogram on Wednesday and when released the doctor said no stairs for 3 days. HAH !   anyway, I hoofed to the basement and fetched the camera, brought it upstairs and did a firmware update again.  I did it last in August when the update came about.  So that being done and the camera is inches away, I'll see what happens.

The router I am using is the Actiontec Q1000,  I have a 40mbps download and a 5 mbps upload and it runs pretty close to advertisement .    I have a DCS 930 right next to the modem spying on my computer and the 932 is looking at the modem.   Both are wireless right now.  I'll monitor the both of them and maybe it needed a reflash.

As far as using a Dlink Modem.. I am not, nor a router either.. the actiontec does fine by itself with little problems.

So  here is where I am now.  If I can get the DCS 932L to work as hoped I will keep it in the basement in the furnace room, gazing on the furnace and water heater.  (boring) if not, I'll have to replace it with the Foscams which I haven't bought yet.

weatheraardvark

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »

Plan C... I have the camera upstairs,  10 feet from the router, and it dropped connection.  I am going to give the version b upgrade.  I have not much to lose at this point..  it could be another case of "He's dead, Jim"

robert-e

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »

Hi..I am now about 2000 miles from the camera (aimed at my furnace thermometer).  Yesterday all afternoon and evening the mydlinki site showed the camera as "on line/available" )it had a green checkmark) but I could not access it.  I then quit trying about midnite, and then this morning (after it should have been rebooted by the mechanical timer on the power supply), it was again available and viewable.  I can only surmise that the camera had suffered from the "disconnecting" problem.  Otoh, this is the only time in two winters that I have been affected by this disconnecting problem.  I imagine that it has happened more times, but by the beboot of the timer, I have not noticed it.  Just keeping you up-to-date, as I promised.

Regards,
Bob