• March 28, 2024, 11:38:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Windows 7 and D-Link products  (Read 31520 times)

FayeC

• Level 1 Member
Windows 7 and D-Link products
« on: December 11, 2009, 04:48:44 AM »

I am astounded and shocked that D-Link continues to advertise compatibility with Windows 7 and have on their main page "D-Link and Microsoft working together to make networking easy" when their products have no Windows 7 support. Even the ones that "work" on Windows 7 have horrible speeds, connectivity and intermittent signal.
WTH??
I posted a few days ago about one of my DWA-130. My revision C1 works (barely) with windows 7. It's a pain to get it connected but it does connect. The revision A1 doesn't at all. Does not get recognized by the OS, does not accept any other drivers and I spent 45 minutes with D-Link support trying to install the darn thing only to hear "contact your vendor and get it exchanged" in the end.
When I called Dell (my vendor) they say that there is no way for them to verify what revision they are sending out to customers as the part has one common number for all revisions.
So, I have a very nice brand new XPS computer sitting upstairs with no connectivity.....it's like being back to the 90's. No wires, no internet.
While looking for other options I could buy from D-Link that would work with Windows 7 I found out that most adapters have problems connecting or retaining a connection on Windows 7. Not just DWA-130.
If anybody from D-Link reads this post: Your Windows 7 support is absolutely disgraceful.
Stop claiming you support Windows 7 until you actually do support it for all your products.

FayeC
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 03:36:01 AM by FayeC »

Emprovision

• Level 1 Member
Re: Windows 7 and D-Link products
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 03:11:45 PM »

I know what you mean; I've had a very similar problem, but in my case, I have a copy of Windows 7 I have chosen not to use because of similar reports, and I'm growing impatient. It's too late for me to return my product or get support from D-Link, and they haven't released new drivers, so the only solution I can think of is selling the product and getting an adapter that actually works.

FayeC

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:55:55 PM »

I did just that. Returned the rev A1 to Dell for a full refund and got a revision C1 from a local store. It works but again, you can't install the D-Link utility software that comes with the adapter or you will get a BSOD on every reboot. Apparently the utility doesn't work well with 64 bit versions of Windows 7.
I know that they will eventually come up with a stable driver but it's not like Windows 7 came out of nowhere ....it was out there and in alpha and beta public releases for their developers to test new drivers on for a very long time...
I had no option to downgrade to XP when I purchased my new computer hence the Windows 7 dilemma.
Good luck with yours.

FayeC

somp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »

Hi, I am using DWA-130 rev A1 with Windows 7 home premium 64 bits. The easiest way to install driver is to connect to internet with wired network then plug in DWA-130, windows will download driver from Winows update and install the unit. Other option is to download the driver from Microsoft update catalog and install it yourself. Hope this will also work for you.

ptatherton

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »

I'm having problems with a DWA-130 also. Mine is a REV B1. My new computer is an HP PC102F ADM Phenom II x4 with 8 gigs of RAM running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit (Dual boot).

I can connect just fine but any attempt to download a large file causes the microsoft wlan icon in the system tray to go yellow triangle (limited access) on me. Once this happens there is no option but to reboot but it will not shut down properly and I have to shut off by holding down the power button. It will also do this when it's been on for a while, even when doing nothing.

Windows update upgraded the driver to the latest version but the problem remains.

However if I go back to my old HP 32 bit machine running Windows 7 Ultimate it works perfectly. But somehow having to go back to a single core 2 gig processor and 1 gig of ram in order to get an internet connection is not really an option.

somp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »

Hi ptatherton

By any chance your PC use Nvidia chipset motherboard ?. Microsoft has hot fix for their USB  devices problem. You can try disable and enable wireless network card from Device Manger, it work most of the time.

Regards,

ptatherton

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »

Hi ptatherton

By any chance your PC use Nvidia chipset motherboard ?. Microsoft has hot fix for their USB  devices problem. You can try disable and enable wireless network card from Device Manger, it work most of the time.

Regards,

Once the connection drops any attempt to disable/enable just hangs in "not responding" state. The only way to get it back is through a forces shutdown (holding down the power button)
 It is an Nvidia mother board though. I'll look into that.

Thanks for the reply.

somp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »

Hi Ptatherton

Here is the link to Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

Regards,
somp

ptatherton

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:52:39 AM »

Thanks, I think that worked (he said cautiously). So far so good.

I appreciate the help. Now I can stop cursing dlink out for something that had nothing to do with them. lol

mrrod

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »

I'm running windows 7 64 bit with this damn DWA 130 C1, it get connectivity but as with most i loose connection a few times a day. I did install the d-link software that came with the hardware, i do see that the connection doesn't go beyond 54Mbps although i ran though the manual setup and configured to the same info as the sticky on this forum too get 300Mbps but with no luck, anyone else have the same issues?

somp

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 01:40:06 PM »

I would be looking at Router's set up, firmware solutions more than DWA-130.

Tamsen

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:52:14 AM »

Wow.  Just spent 1 hour online with tech suppot.  Two D link wireless adaptors have failed to install into my new hard drive with Windows 7 OS.  I questioned the compatibility of Windows 7 with their product nd asked senior tech support if this was a commonly repored problem.  They assured me that it wasn't often reported.  That is untrue, as I now see on doing a google search and finding this blog.  My first D link worked okay for about 3 months with Windows 7, but then suddenly failed and thinking it was a hardware problem I replaced it with another DWA 120.  After trying to load the driver with the cd provided, and it not loading, I called tech support, was put on hold for a long time, then their eventual help proved utterly useless.  The rude tech support person said she was explaining to me when I interupted her....hmmmm....I guess they don't want to admit their product doesn't work with Windows 7.  I won't buy another thing from D link and am returning both their bad devices for a refund.

Simply put..D Link DWA A-120 does not work with Windows 7.  Online versions of the driver are useless.

Svuroo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »

You all are doing better than me.  I can't get the bloody thing to completely install the software and I've been working on it for 2 hours.  I've installed and uninstalled it a dozen times (complete with restarts) and all the website has to offer is that I should disable my anti-virus (great, be sure to do that once I download it, mmmkay?) and hook it up using ethernet.... which is a great plan if I hadn't thrown out all of my old ethernet cables as my router isn't compatible with them.  So I'm effectively screwed.