• April 27, 2024, 06:43:06 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Yahoo Widget and/or Vista Gadget and OLED solution?  (Read 7148 times)

Andersony

Yahoo Widget and/or Vista Gadget and OLED solution?
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:39:32 PM »

One thing that you guys could do at D-Link that would just make my day (and I bet many other users). Give the Yahoo widget some more ability, make it customizable. If you made it so that it could display Internet network statistics (Internet bandwidth usage) and Device status (active activity log), I would be thrilled beyond imagination. I was dissapointed to find that the OLED could display this stuff, but the yahoo widget does NOT   :'(

Now granted, if the OLED screen could stay on for more than 30 seconds, I might not be so dependant on the widget, but with screen burn-in being an issue and the OLED set for a 30sec timeout, its not doing me much good, ..... sorry to say ;(

The Yahoo widget you guys made is a GREAT idea. You don't know HOW LONG I've been waiting for something like that. I've always wanted a tool that I could look at while playing a game (I play all my games in a window that takes up the whole screen except for the widget bar space) to see whats up with my network. If my latency spikes, I want to quickly look to widget bar and see whats up! The only thing in the past that has come close was Nortons personal firewall in 2003, it had a sliding info bar that came out and told you about network activity on your computer (even while in a game), but it only showed your computer, not the whole network.

Also, one other thing while I have your ear ;)  I have a Belkin N1 vision here as well. Your DGL-4500 puts it to shame in most areas I can safely say, with TWO exceptions so far.
1st, the N1 has each connected nodes bandwidth usage shown on their LCD, which I think is a huge selling feature for people like me. On the N1, if my ping spikes while playing a game, I can easily look to see that the wife's computer is downloading a file and ask her to quit, all at a mere glance of the N1's LCD.
The 2nd exception is obvious, the N1 visions LCD stays on (no screen burn in to worry about with their LCD..? ).

Thanks for making a good product D-Link. I had doubts about ever putting my Linksys router with DD-WRT aside, but I have for a few weeks now while using this DGL-4500 and N1 vision. I'll prob give the N1 to a customer and keep the 4500....

-Andersony

Rara Avis

• Imperator
  • Level 2 Member
Re: Yahoo Widget and/or Vista Gadget and OLED solution?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »

If you go through the Yahoo widget creation tutorial it takes you through a bit of the syntax, and more importantly how to compile/decompile the widget.  Anyone with some web design experience should be able to reverse engineer the D-Link widget and get some much more meaningful values they can apply to their own widget.

I went through this process at one point and found that there were enough clues in the code to compile a useful list of variables, unfortunately I did not save or publish my work because I lost a hard drive and at the time didn't see the utility to having that information.

If you Sysadmin a big network real time network analysis and accounting is important, if your just playing games then you know where your lags coming from and you have complete control within arm reach.  I fail to see what good seeing a little graph showing your net stats will do to help you in game.

That said I am sure that the custom widget craze will kick in and you or someone else will make your dream widget, enjoi your product and the freedom to use it how you see fit.
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. - Seneca
There has never been a great genius without a element of madness.

Andersony

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:25:21 PM »

If you go through the Yahoo widget creation tutorial it takes you through a bit of the syntax, and more importantly how to compile/decompile the widget.  Anyone with some web design experience should be able to reverse engineer the D-Link widget and get some much more meaningful values they can apply to their own widget.
Thanks for the info, if I get time I will give it a shot. I've created a few basic web pages, but I'm no expert.

If you Sysadmin a big network real time network analysis and accounting is important, if your just playing games then you know where your lags coming from and you have complete control within arm reach.  I fail to see what good seeing a little graph showing your net stats will do to help you in game.
Well then, I take it you think the oled on the 4500 is a waste of time as well ? I dunno, I guess with 3 computers upstairs in my office, 1 in the middle floor, and 3 in the basement, I don't always know what is the cause of my lag. Usually its something on my lan but sometimes I've found it to be with my ISP. I remember a couple of instances where QOS didn't seem to want to do its job, or I missed setting up a rule for something, my personal web server had people jumping on its smtp service, the wife was playing a browser/flash based game, etc... Some of these computers where not in reach, and to go to each one to see whats active and using bandwidth just doesn't seem as efficient as having a utility like I'm looking for. Plus, I would like to see whats in the activity log, whos packet got blocked for what reason, etc. I guess I like the tools (and maybe the feeling) of a big network sysadmin for my little network  ;D I like the feeling of knowing whats going on...   a little more of a secure feeling ?

That said I am sure that the custom widget craze will kick in and you or someone else will make your dream widget, enjoi your product and the freedom to use it how you see fit.
[/i][/color]

I sure hope so..  Thanks

-Andersony
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:05:00 PM by Andersony »

Andersony

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »

I took a little time and looked at creating my own. The exisiting Widget doesn't access the bandwidth meters, nor does the web based admin utility, so writing a widget without some inside knowledge of the firmware's calls to the routines would be next to impossible as far as I can tell...   Sigh ;(

DeLiZiT

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 05:58:59 PM »

Weactually have posted a column on the support site for specific call outs on the code.

http://support.dlink.com/XML.asp

Please do share if when you have created your version.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 10:12:08 AM by DeLiZiT »