• April 28, 2024, 10:16:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Yet another issue w/ the DGL 4500 :( .. disconnections...  (Read 3200 times)

BrownChiLD

Yet another issue w/ the DGL 4500 :( .. disconnections...
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:36:07 PM »

i'm really trying hard to love this router.. but w/ all the issues im facing, it's really come to a point I've almost had it..

Anyway, new issue.. strange as it may seem.. I get short disconnections..

Im on A2 hardware, using latest FW 1.23NA

THE PROBLEM:

MOST OF THE TIME It starts to happen when I start using the internet. i know this coz i keep a ping -t yahoo.com open and it's near perfect, up to the time when i start to use it in a "certain way".. and it's not cause of bandwidth/heavy use because when i download large files via download managers i dont get disconnections.. but it's those "small bits" of use.. like yahoo messenger.. and starcraft online gaming!

Like this morning... i've been downlaoding and looking at online galleries etc..basically heavy use.. and i get near perfect pings.. no Time OUts..

but as soon as i played starcraft2, i get 5-10 second time outs!! w/c is enough to get me disconnected..

1st time i got disconnected i simply re-logged in.. and surely, minutes into the game i get timed out /dropped.

this just keeps happening.. over and over.. and sometimes it simply stops happening. but then starts again the next day..

I've reflashed the firmware, rebooted it etc.. i tried turning off GameFuel, same crap..but you know what's strange? if i turn off the WIRELESS, for some reason.. it stops happening!

and it's similar scenario w/ yahoo messenger.. near perfect pings untill i login to YM, after a few minutes i get time outs.. but w/ wireless off, i dont recall it happening at all!

Furthermore, during these time outs/disconnects as i call them, when i look at the DLINK logs, it doesnt say anything like "PPPoE Down" etc.. it does show some wireless restart logs, but not w/in the time frame of me getting discon/timed out..

Here are my wireless settings:

nothing out of the ordinary..

one important note.. While the issue is felt accross all 4 devices connected to the router, I PERSONALLY AM ACTUALLY ON DIRECT LAN CABLE TO THE ROUTER, so it's not a WIFI SIGNAL getting DROPPED issue.. .. and NO.. i've rulled out ISP issues as well.. im very sure of it..

There are soo many STRANGE ISSUES w/ this darn router, and im really getting fed up w/ it.. i can't believe i paid so much for this!!

Not giving up on it yet though but i'm almost there....

So .. what do you guys think?

vlj9r

• Level 2 Member
Re: Yet another issue w/ the DGL 4500 :( .. disconnections...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 04:46:57 AM »

Have you looked at the log on your cable modem?  I can access mine by going to 192.168.100.1.  When ever there is a T3 timeout, the whole house would loose internet and phone for a few seconds.  At the worst point in time I was getting about 5-8 per hr. After reporting this several time to the cable company they were able to find the cause at service box near our neighborhood.  So make sure it's not your ISP.

Now, I only get one T3 timeout per day which I can live with.

In my case when I tried a different router, I still continued to get the same frequency of disconnects.
Under advance wireless you may want to disable short GI.  I also disabled the informational logs.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »

Do you have any other wireless devices or routers in your area? I'm curious as you say if you turn off the wireless on the router, this "short disconnection" seems to go away? What do the logs say? Any information here?

I agree, you must start with the ISP and check all lines coming into you. If DSL or Cable, check for solid cabling and no splitters. Filters and phone lines are clean and setup well.

What devices are you using over the Wireless connection?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

BrownChiLD

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »

hi FurryNutz

There are a couple but they dont interfere.. regardless of wireless interferance, one important thing i noted is that i get the time outs even when im on my computer w/c has DIRECT LAN connection to the Router..

As for the ISP side, it's all done and checked.. easiy via my trusty TPLINK router w/c is uber cheap and when used my internet is FLAWLESS. so this is definitely a DLINK Router issue..

On my wireless i have 3 notebooks connecting to it.. on my LAN just me (my main PC).. that's it.. oh and occassional mobile phone connection to my wireless but rare..

And as advised in my post, logs doesnt report anything during these short disruptions.. sometimes it does say PPPoE down.. but a lot of times there's nothing logged.. this router is spooked perhaps.. :(