• April 24, 2024, 04:04:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: When I add a second drive in the future????  (Read 4604 times)

chriscdev

When I add a second drive in the future????
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:02:14 PM »

I just installed my DNS-323 with one 1TB hard drive, I plan to add another 1TB drive in the next few months when I save up a few more dollars. My plan at this time is to configure it to "Standard(Individual Disks)" and leave it that way when I add the second drive.

My question is this:

When I add the second drive, will the 323 want to format both drives? Or can I specify to format only the new drive?

It seems to me that I bought this device to be my "mass storage drive" in the first place. I will not have any place to back up my "mass storage drive"!! There has to be a better way, right?

Any input folks?

Chris

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:17:44 PM by chriscdev »

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
Re: When I add a second drive in the future????
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 05:52:01 PM »

Adding a new drive in "Standard" format will not require you to format your primary drive. Only when switching raid types like from Standard to Raid0/1 will you have to reformat your drives.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 06:16:11 PM »

I just installed my DNS-323 with one 1TB hard drive, I plan to add another 1TB drive in the next few months when I save up a few more dollars. My plan at this time is to configure it to "Standard(Individual Disks)" and leave it that way when I add the second drive.

My question is this:

When I add the second drive, will the 323 want to format both drives? Or can I specify to format only the new drive?

It seems to me that I bought this device to be my "mass storage drive" in the first place. I will not have any place to back up my "mass storage drive"!! There has to be a better way, right?

Any input folks?

Chris

Regardless of the reason you bought it - if you value the data that you put on it, be prepared to find somewhere to back it up - and RAID1 is not a backup.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

chriscdev

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »

My future plans are to have a true server setup, right now, the 323 will be mainly used for pictures and music. I may buy a second 323, and then use them in tandem as a trueback up system.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Chris

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 07:07:02 PM »

Sounds like a plan - in fact it sounds a lot like my setup  ;D my data goes on a mirrored pair in an IBM xSeries server, and the backup goes on the DNS-323
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.